Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Clarrie Hall Dam  (Read 9333 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Clarrie Hall Dam
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
Anyone wanting to visit Clarrie Hall Dam near Uki in Noerthern NSW should be aware that it is closed all during the week due to a TV series being filmed there. The dam is only open on Saturday and Sunday until August, and then only as far as the boat ramp. There has been a heap of building going on there with the place being transformed into a US summer camp complete with pontoons, mess hall and little cabins set in among the pine trees along the shore. Tweed Shire Council have approved it all and the producers of the series have to restore everything to what it was before when they are finished. Costing around 12 million.
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Clarrie Hall Dam
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
Read about that, apparently its well timed because the dam wall access is closed due to works in that area as well!  :o

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
YEh mate we fished it on Sunday and didn't raise a scale. Normally get at least 6 or more. We think it's rolled over. I'm told Tweed Shire Council got $1 million into the coffers for approving the use of the dam for the film.
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Boondooma dam
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
   I hope they have not stocked it with pirannahs for the film ;)  Ron.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
They did Ron but the crocodiles ate 'em.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
I little birdie tells me that the Film people are failing to hold up some of their end of the bargain at Crams Farm.  For the first year ever, the ABA may have to cancel the Classic on the first weekend of May as they cannot get access to the facilities.  I believe Council meetings are happening at the moment to try to rectify this situation.  The Clarrie Hall Classic is an annual invitational event that many people look forward to, myself included.  I can't attend this year due to family commitments.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
I had not heard about that Dale, All I know is that the film people will be there until August. Whether it's the beginning or the end of August I have no idea, but given the long standing of the ABA event you would think there would have been some sort of arrangements made.
John

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Anyone tried to get in at Clarrie Hall during the week? According to the info below on the Tweed Council website, we're back in.

Be interesting to see how they left it!

And to see what the bass are looking for heading up to the ABA Bass Classic!

Where's Tony Payne when you need him!

Cheers,

Doddsy

"Clarrie Hall Dam

Clarrie Hall Dam Road will be closed from 1st April 2013 for a period of up to 14 months. During this time, the water level of the dam will be controlled so that the spillway remains dry and no water spills from the dam.

The road will be closed due to construction works being carried out on the dam’s spillway.

Alternative access to Clarrie Hall Dam is available at Crams Farm via Doon Doon Rd (head towards Kyogle and turn left after approx 8km). The film production of CAMP has now finished and normal public access to Crams Farm has been restored."

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Hello Graeme,

The film crew has gone well and truely.

The council have given them permission to leave some of the Mockup Home steds on site. These are all fenced off and cause no problems to public in anyway.

There is a clear area near boat ramp with a little less weed, on the northern side of the Pine trees is a nice sort of Beach area to land boats if wanted to.

Heading up to the Classic is all go and Spring time Bass action at Clarrie Hall dam is exciting !  :youbeauty 

I hope you are all go for the weekend Graeme ! and you still owe me a couple of Photos.

Cheers Tony

Anyone tried to get in at Clarrie Hall during the week? According to the info below on the Tweed Council website, we're back in.

Be interesting to see how they left it!

And to see what the bass are looking for heading up to the ABA Bass Classic!

Where's Tony Payne when you need him!

Cheers,

Doddsy

"Clarrie Hall Dam

Clarrie Hall Dam Road will be closed from 1st April 2013 for a period of up to 14 months. During this time, the water level of the dam will be controlled so that the spillway remains dry and no water spills from the dam.

The road will be closed due to construction works being carried out on the dam’s spillway.

Alternative access to Clarrie Hall Dam is available at Crams Farm via Doon Doon Rd (head towards Kyogle and turn left after approx 8km). The film production of CAMP has now finished and normal public access to Crams Farm has been restored."

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
That's good to hear, I wonder if the Council is going to let me sleep in one of those little cabins so I can get an early fish. Wouldn't that be nice.
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Hi All,

Had a go at Clarrie Hall yesterday (Tuesday 19/08) as a prelude to the ABA Bass Classic in early September. Water clarity is quite low, due (we think) to the decaying lillies & cabomba weed following the council's need to keep the water level below the spillway whilst they do upgrade works. Boydy & I planned to meet Phil at the gate at 07:00 & were pleasantly surprised to see the ranger there & willing to let us in a tad early.

The US film crew appear to have returned Crams Farm to its original glory apart from a couple of buildings, a concrete pad, a bit of other temporary infrastructure & some buoys in the water. I'm guessing they may be returning for further filming as everything is of a temporary nature & of no use to anyone else.

We struggled early but eventually found some willing fish in the main basin, catching 7 bass & 1 catty, all on blades. The bass were the fattest I've seen them in Clarrie with the biggest, a 40cm model caught by Phil, a cracker of a fish. The other 6 bass were all good fish & Boydy's catty was going to be the "bass of death" until correctly identified!

Our theory on the fat fish is the explosion of bait in the dam. I can't ever remember seeing the cormorants & pelicans at Clarrie working in tandem rounding up bait as we see on other dams or in the rusty stuff. Not surprisingly, this is where we caught the fish.

We'll have another go next week with a plan to put out a "spot reserved" sign for the Bass Classic if we find the mother lode. Clarrie Heights looks bright green with a bit of extra gravel laid for increased parking & ready to accommodate us for 2 nights.

Cheers,

Doddsy

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
Cheers for that Doddsy,

40cm Bass would of won him Biggest last year  ;D  I'm sure all will have a great time.

See ya in a couple.

Cheers Tony