Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Monduran  (Read 18372 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Monduran
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
thanks Chris, for continuing to follow up those reports, on-ya.  :thumb

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
Got back last night, yep it is tough, we knew it would be, general thoughts are conditions are perfect, good water, good currents and breeze. The few fish that were caught were small, plenty of big fish deep on the sounders but not active at the times we were fishing.
There are very few birds working, all gone west, and the bait is prolific so the fish are not having to chase a feed.
Another 64 and 1 dropped this morning.

Pete

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
I've always found that the hour and a half spent on the road between Gin Gin and Benaraby is much more productive than an hour and a half spent on Monduran.

I'm curious about the difference of Awoonga and Mondy.  I am assuming the guides with experience and knowledge wider and longer than the pacific would be able to get up there and extract fish but what makes Mondy fish so tough compared to Awoonga at any given time.  By this I mean, what difference does it make when both dams full and only being 100 or so k's apart, are they minor differences(weather or fishing pressure) or major ones(Lake size depth structure etc.) that are effecting the catch rates at different times.

p.s.  I have a feeling I have asked another one of those "There are a million reasons why" questions   :P

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
From all reports BBMan, Awoonga is fishing just as tough, like many others, I haven't seen or heard of a good report from Awoonga in some time either, but I don't know why Monduran gets slandered and Awoonga doesn't. A lot of anglers from around the Brisbane region fish Monduran over Awoonga and post reports, good or bad where maybe the locals up at Awoonga can be more sheepish, I don't know, rather reporting nothing on Lake Awoonga keeping the crowds at Monduran. In saying that, the last comment was most definately not aimed at contributing locals from the Gladstone area who are members of SW especially the contributions on SW from the local guides at Awoonga which are just simply priceless and I have the utmost respect for all of them. Their lively hoods rely on fish co-operating which in turn attracts the tourists dollars.

Some like Monduran over Awoonga and vise verser. They are two totally different fisheries in regards to geograghical layouts. Although they have similar structure to fish, Awoonga can be more open rather than the little inlets that Monduran offers with more stand up timber. Awoonga offers these little bays and tributaries too but not as much as Monduran in my opinion. Both lakes are quality fisheries and I wish they weren't always compared to eachother, however they continue to, due to their closeness.

Maybe Monduran gets more attention due to it's close proximity to Brisbane. If other fisheries had the big Barra that these two fisheries have, which in time they will have, they may get more attention rather than Monduran or Awoonga. I'm talking about Lake Lenthalls and Lake Wuruma. Both of these fisheries are a short distance from Brisbane as well.

All fisheries go through stages of growth. Lakes such as Tinaroo and Kinchant Dam were fishing tough too last year, however for some reason I heard first hand both of these fisheries had a major turn around in Barra being caught over the summer break with some 20 fish being caught in a session at Kinchant.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
I've heard that at least 4 metre plus fish have come from Awoonga in the last week, according to the evidence in the fish cleaning bin.  Hopefully there will be a few more this weekend with the Ladies' comp on.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing Dale.

Good luck to the girls up there this weekend too, rip into 'em.

Good luck guiding too Dale :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
That'd be Chauffeur not guide.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »

Not backing yourself to put them on the spot???

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
Nah mate, I'm just a mug.  It's gonna be tough though.  I'm not allowed to touch a fishing rod, but I can tie their knots for them and net their fish.  I was thinking of $5.00 per knot and $20.00 per net shot.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
I'm curious about the difference of Awoonga and Mondy.  I am assuming the guides with experience and knowledge wider and longer than the pacific would be able to get up there and extract fish but what makes Mondy fish so tough compared to Awoonga at any given time.  By this I mean, what difference does it make when both dams full and only being 100 or so k's apart, are they minor differences(weather or fishing pressure) or major ones(Lake size depth structure etc.) that are effecting the catch rates at different times.

p.s.  I have a feeling I have asked another one of those "There are a million reasons why" questions   :P

Cheers

There probably are a million reasons  -   The three that come to my mind  are
1)  3 times more fish in Awoonga ( similar volume of water) 
2)   Topography ...... much more diverse  - more places for the fish to hide with more timber at Mondy
3) my main theory is Awoonga is nearer to the sea -  the fish would be more accustomed to wind fluctuations  eg  Awoonga barra seem to bess less effected by SE changes -  while Mondy fish usually shuts down till it stabilises and the fish acclimatise  -    Wind seems to be ever present at Awoonga

But no doubt many other theories

Chris

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »
Nagg,

Point number one sounds the kicker to me.  More fish mean more opportunities I guess.  From everything I have read (most of it Johnny Mitchell's stuff) and experienced it seems either way, windy or not, fish will feed no matter what you just need to get all the factors in line.  HA - All that coming from a Noob too  ;D

Cheers Geoff

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:56:58 PM »
Nagg,

Point number one sounds the kicker to me.  More fish mean more opportunities I guess.  From everything I have read (most of it Johnny Mitchell's stuff) and experienced it seems either way, windy or not, fish will feed no matter what you just need to get all the factors in line.  HA - All that coming from a Noob too  ;D

Cheers Geoff

JMs right -  they do & will  feed ......... but what I have seen is that at Awoonga if a SE wind  blows up , the fish might still bite right through the day ....... At Mondy , I'm yet to experience it.    Some of the best barra fishing I've enjoyed was during strong South Easterlies at Awoonga.
If I was driving to barra dam during a bad period of weather -  I would nearly always think about driving past the Mondy turn off & drive north for 90 mins :thumbsup

Chris

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:17 AM »

You maybe should get paid mate, putting up with a couple of women for 2 days..........  :-X

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
Can't ask for payment mate, that'd be illegal, and would get the girls disqualified.  I have told them they're up for lollies, diet coke, junk food and dinners though, you've seen what I can eat, that'll keep them poor.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
Can't ask for payment mate, that'd be illegal, and would get the girls disqualified.  I have told them they're up for lollies, diet coke, junk food and dinners though, you've seen what I can eat, that'll keep them poor.

No guides allowed?

So that means no Harro, Johnny, Jas, Motty or Dr Awoonga caddying/driving boats then?

fitz..