Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Small Creek kayak???  (Read 34043 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Small Creek kayak???
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »
Hi all,
Thinking about getting a small freshwater creek kayak, doesn't have to be a fast yak, stability is more important.  It won't need a sounder or any fancy scotty rod holders, just the basics so it's quick and easy to get into and out of the water.  Mostly to chuck lures at snags, so a little room for a small tackle box and maybe a small net.  I have narrowed it down to the Venus II Angler, and Extreme Fishbandit, and the Dirigo 106/120.   Anyone with some thoughts on these, good or bad?

Cheers
SB8

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Small Creek Yak???
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
I've just acquired a small creek yak, and if I'd been as short as you I would have got the Dirigo.  I found a rather special yak that I couldn't resist though, very similar to the Dirigo, but a bit more cockpit opening.  The beauty of a sit-in is you can stick your rod under cover and don't have the worry of overhanging branches.  The Venus 11 is a great paddling yak if you are lighter than me, and Pam loves them.  I'd seriously suggest a Dirigo for you Shane I think you'll find it ticks all the boxes.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
The Venus 11 and Dorigo are great yaks for fishing, they are both different to each other with one being a sit in and the other a sit on top.

The Dorigo being a sit in has comfortable seating and a console that features a dry well and forward rod holder as well as two flush mounts behind the seat for storage of an extra rod or two or even a net. There is a storage well at the rear of the kayak for extra gear which would be great on an extended day trip of even an overnighter. I have paddled both the 106 and the 120 and they are extremely stable, track well and have awesome glide. The 120 has a weight capacity of 149 kg

The Venus is a sit on top, I think you will find there is the std model and the Venus Angler Model, the Angler model will offer you flush mounts behind the seat for rod or net storage. It has a clip on seat and it offers a little more storage room with a front hatch where you can store gear inside the kayak as well as a storage well behind the seat. I have not paddled the Venus but I know Fitzy has as he paddles owns one. Estuary Girl owns one too, I'm sure Toni will come in here and add her advice. The Venus has a weight capacity of 95kg.

Another one to consider from the Ocean Kayak range is the Scrambler 11, its a new kayak in their range and is ideal for small creek fishing and it is great value for money as it offers so many features for a relatively small price tag($995). Features like front and rear storage wells, bucket hatch for storage of small items such as your keys, a transducer scupper and a spot to mount your rod holder with built in brass thread inserts, two rear flush rod holders, solid lifting handles. If you did want more storage room you could go the optional hatch. The thing I like about this yak though is its weight capacity is a alot higher at 150 kg. I paddled this kayak at the Kayak convention a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It tracks well, is extremely stable and has the features that you can build this kayak into something better if you are so inclined after you get a taste of kayak fishing...

I have been paddling a sit in for the past 6 months for creek fishing, they are good for quick set up on the creek/river bed. Just throw in a tray of lures a rod and a net and your camera and your away for the day. Maybe 2 - 3 minutes at the most. To set up a sit on top it might take you slightly longer. The benefit of the sit on top though is that if you come to a rock bar and you need to get over to the other side you can just slip off the side of the yak and get back on relatively easy. A sit on top you need to find shallow water to get out and to get back in...it's a bit of a compromise but you need to weigh up whats the best options for you.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
SB8,

Also have a look at the Wilderness System's Tarpon 100 for a Sit on top yak . I bought mine from Craig at Adventure Outlet on the Gold Coast back in February , cost $1150 I think . He usually offers customers a test paddle too .
Try googgling Tarpon100 , heaps of pics there. I find it light enough to drag up and down most river banks.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the info so far.

Dale, I like the look of the Dirigo 106, and it does tick lots of boxes, I'm not sure if I want a sit in though as I haven't been yakkin for a long time. I think a sit on top might be a little safer for the time being.  Like Sel said when you need to get out and drag it over a rock bar of sorts it would be easier getting off a sit on top rather than a sit in.

Sel, I just checked out the Scrambler 11, looks pretty good for the $$$, now if they only did it in Camo.......

Dave I had a look at the Tarpon 100, I'm trying to keep the weight under 20kgs so that one is a little bit on the heavy side, it does look good though. 

Cheers
SB8

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
SBB

get your arse in both and see what you like.

Would suggest a yak at 10 foot as the min length.

Dont right off the tarpon at a heavy weight, everyone said that to me when I got mine....too heavy etc. Just means thick plastic mate and great for dragging everywhere.

Funny thing is its easier to cary a 25kg weight over a short length like 10 foot compared to 20 kg over 14 foot. Pick up a 20ltr drum of oil, its even easier.

SOT are good for when you have a lot of getting in and out walking up rockbars or rapids.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 20
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:59:54 AM »
Tarpon 100, Had mine for two year and love it so stable and the places i taken it you would not believe, plus I have a back fusion and the weight is no problem to me.

Ray.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »
Hobie Mirage 'Sport' for me. Have been running mine for 6 years now without a hiccup. Only a touch over 9ft(got it for really tight bass and bream water).

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
Take a look at the new OK Scrambler 11. I'm pretty impressed with them as a small water kayak. I recon it might prove to be a better yak than my beloved Venus11.

Will see if I can grab some pics and post up.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »

Sel, I just checked out the Scrambler 11, looks pretty good for the $$$, now if they only did it in Camo.......

Yes they do come in Camo, I'll be picking mine up this weekend and in Camo too..

I'll have pics up on my website and here by the weekend...

The pics on the OK Aussie site of the Scrambler are the old model, if you after details of the new shape and features, you can see it here, just scroll down till you come to the Scrambler, http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/ocean-kayak-new-kayaks-announced/

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I'd love to see some pics of the camo version!

SB8

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
even tho ive just got myself a small tinny all this talk of yaks has me wanting one now thanks guys ! :-\

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm not sure if I want a sit in though as I haven't been yakkin for a long time. I think a sit on top might be a little safer for the time being.
Yeah but. After the time being you might well find out you bought something you're not happy with in the long term. That means a trade and loss of $'s. If you've not paddled a yak for a long time you're gonna feel a bit skittish for a while. That will last an hour, if you test it and yourself rigorously in various but controlled conditions. Then you will realise you might've been a bit more adventurous and got what was really suitable for your long term needs.
While safety should be the biggest priority. Some people buy the latest trendy u beaut yak load it up with gear and set off for a fish ::) The best investment you will make in a yak is a couple of hours without fishing gear in a controlled environment finding out your own and your yaks limits of safety and profficiency.
 I got into trouble on another forum for advising an, obviously young inexperienced kid who was all ready to dash out offshore on his brand new yak alone, that he should at least take a witness with him.  :o
Buy the yak that is right for you and the likely conditions you will be fishing with, from a range that will ultimately be suitable to fish from. THEN figure out how to fish from it.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
Good point JohnV, I agree about having some paddling time in the yak before going fishing in it.  I've got a mate who did the total opposite when he first got his yak and came unstuck losing lots of his gear in the process.  So do you have a recommendation for a Sit in or Sit on ?

SB8

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 07:08:55 PM »
I have a viking nemo. I love it and for me it is a decent kayak, that said i have not used anything else to compare it to.