Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: moogerah produces bass, yellowbelly and mary river cod  (Read 17160 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: moogerah
moogerah produces bass, yellowbelly and mary river cod
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
on the weekend my missus and i went camping at lake moogerah. its been a while since we've camped there and the water level is at 100%. this means less camping area so it was a bit squishier than last time we were there. my recent trips only produced small fish in small numbers so we decided to switch up tactics on sunday morning. we started out using atomic crank 38's and after a while i decided to change up to a ghost blade in purple as i made my first cast my missus start laughing at my recent change. she landed a nice 32cm bass. then 2 minutes later i was on and laughing with a slighly smaller bass. we moved on and i found a particulary good looking snag that my blade decided to fly past and wrap around a tree 3000 times. my next choice was a rapala xr4 gold with black back. it found its way into the snag 2 tweaks... hit strike no hookup. 2 tweaks... hit no hookup. next cast i was sure it was just tiddlers but 2 tweaks and bang! peeling line then running back at me it went along the bank wrapped the line around a snag covered with someone elses fishing line. not thinking to spool free i went down to the snag and heard what sounded like a twig snapping. as i worked on pulling the whole snag out of the water i noticed the end of someones rod floating on the water. i got the 37cm bass up to bank and decided i had invented a new shorter more powerful creek style rod. ai went down to the missus to see her with a mary river cod as i to her to stop she put it in the water. it was only small about 15-20cm but still a cod and a fish i've never caught. we continued fishing til mid day and got more than 30 bass two yellow belly 2 spangled perch and the cod
spotx haha

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
Re: moogerah produces bass, yellowbelly and mary river cod
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Good one mate, sounds a lot like one of my days.... Except for the numbers.

As someone told me once ' if your not getting snagged up your not fishing right'

Gordon

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »
and poof that spots flogged out from now on ... 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
there was plenty of people there on the weekend.
tip is to stay away from the people.
north pine is always packed and i still get big fish there. pb yellow there 56cm with people everywhere.
 ;)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
P.M sent to you regauding ...

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
and poof that spots flogged out from now on ...

It's not all doom & gloom. Imaging if every spot like that across Australia like that was shared... There would be that many options available to people to go they'd be spread out that thin you'd hardly see anyone.

All locations go through boom & bust, it's self regulating really. Reynolds creek has just had a flush from Moogerah with an injection of fish.... in similar situations a sudden overpopulation of fish in limited waters will see them die anyway, then nobody goes there any more. Why not encourage others to enjoy it while it lasts..?
I bet there's alot of folks who were having good fishing sessions there before you were born, probably me too, so there's nothing top secret about it.

IMHO unless there's a specific reason for a place to be locked up i.e. a rare or endangered species then it should be designated a protected area. Other than that, locations should be shared.

Cheers,

fitz.. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
Fitzy I totally agree the same situation exists below NPD plenty of fish and good fun. The fish are in very poor condition with damage from going over the wall,fin rot and sores.
The water there appears to be very poor quality as SEQ water are doing controlled releases via the cone valve which releases water from low down in the water column and the water is very high in sediment. Its looks like liquid mud.
There is very little food there for them as the whole place was scoured bare from the large ammount of water that went through. There are some unethical people who ignore the bag limit but fisheries appear to be paying regular visits.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
thanks fitzy heading there this weekend to catch and release some more bass, yellows and maybe a cod. is there toga in moogerah? i've seen something toga-ish while kayaking the dam but could have been a lungfish. was pretty big fish maybe 80-90cm. rayke recently(about 2weeks) went to npd overflow trolling blades in the yak was dynamite with a bit of lure scent. even in the chocolate water got a pb bass 46cm. has the water cleaned up any?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Water is still filthy but fish still there.
 Re giving locations another way to look at it is whether you think the site is for skiteing or shareing.
Cheers
ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the report! Because of you I got a lot of firsts and had a blast this weekend. First bass, first yellow, and others I have yet to identify.

I caught them on just about every artifical I had, I missed out on catching something on fly, only because the first cast with the wand landed the only fly I took in a snag. I fished the lower side of the weir. Using poppers down through the rapids and catching fish was fun! Spinner baits  :o I thought they were a novelty.. But they work! Hardbody divers, cast them out and try clean your glasses with the rod between your legs = bass.

On my way home I fished reynolds creek under the charlwood rd bridge. The fish were bigger, hungryer and in greater numbers. It was on! Every cast here got a look at if not a tap or a hookup.

I lost 5 lures and 1 fly, at one point after loosing a couple in a row I forgot to de-safety a plastic lure..A bass still ate it and got it stuck in its throat, I only noticed after I released it that the hooks were still covered. After I took the plastic tubes off it swam a lot better.

:thanks

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
The amount of things happening there of ill practises grumpy ignorant people throwing fish heads at you and blokes with 8 rods out.. all the while Seq water dam rangers walking past flicking smoke buds into the creek  >:(

What the hell kind of impression is that to give ?

Just to clarify. Is the creek below moogerah waril or renolds i always thought renolds creek ran into moogerah 1 of the 2 feeder creeks and waril was below ? could be wrong.

Watch for snakes under that bridge...

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
I didn't see anything like that, although I only saw a few other people. If a ranger did do that, it's a disgrace, I am disgusted by smokers who do that anywhere.

Reynolds is below I googled to find out what creek I was on before I posted..

Exact spot -  http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=moogera+dam&aq=&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=57.345405,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Lake+Moogerah&ll=-28.004339,152.56598&spn=0.007076,0.013937&t=h&z=17

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
know the spot ... come a croppa with a few brownies there

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
no worries captain. i was there today got my first ever fish on fly then another load of fish on fly after that. little green wooly bugger. run into a local today who informed me there is a no fish zone there. any truth to this? got a bloody big yellowbelly 55-60cm and saw a massive toga that wouldn't take any of my offerings. heaps of bass biggest going 45cm (not mine as my missus keeps reminding me) and spangled perch. oh and a lovely surpise of 3 silver perch biggest going on 30cm (not mine again).

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
have also seen what i thought was a toga but the stocking program failed and they didnt reproduce according to folk law and stocking groups. what i have seen i have passed off as a big eal near surface there are some serious doozies of eals at moogerah . the no fish zone comes 400 meters below the dam wall , Watched people fish there with a SEQ ranger talking to them aswell, he went on his way and they kept fishing ....