Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

Would you like to have improved access to North Pine Dam?

Yes - I'd like to be able to kayak / canoe in the main basin of the lake
Yes- I'd like to be able to launch my electric powered tinnie in the main basin
Yes - I'd like to be able to run my bass boat on Lake Samsonvale (NPD)
Yes - but for BAS permit holders only
Keep the same area but allow petrol motors for BAS permit holders
Not really - keep all access the way it is
Keep it the way it is but give more shore access places for land based fishing
No - Lock the lake up and let nobody on there
Other - I will post a reply

Author Topic: Would you like to have improved access to North Pine Dam?  (Read 42501 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Would you like to have improved access to North Pine Dam?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 07:19:06 AM »
Oh, for the record, it wasn't me who voted to run the Bass Boat on NPD.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Oh, for the record, it wasn't me who voted to run the Bass Boat on NPD.

Thats not a bass boat, its a pimp mobile the wheels have fallen off!

So you would rather the $100 for Wivanhoe (for new permits, and the equivilent of the permit fee for NPD)  goes to the government, rather than it going to fish stocking as it does for NPD :o

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 16
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
I think we should be grateful that the PRFMA gained access to this dam for electric and manually powered craft in the first place. After all we were only allowed limited bank access to fish this dam up until the BAS started. I don't understand why people have got it in for the PRFMA for charging the BAS fee as it has been stated before that most of this money goes into restocking this dam. The more money that can be raised for restocking the better in my opinion. If people don't like having to pay to take their boat/kayak on the North Pine River arm of the dam then just go and sit at Bullocky rest and wet a line from the bank or go fishing at another dam. I am more than happy to pay for this access to relax while almost silently making my way downstream trolling for a Bass. A good meal and session at the pub will cost you more than the permit fee these days!  :youbeauty

Regards
Adrian

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
I am a member of PRFMA, currently the stocking coordinator and a member of the executive committee.
My own personal opinion is that Lake Samsonvale should have open public access for manual and electric craft only.
The BAS scheme is what is in place currently, this may change, to be perfectly frank it involves a considerable amount of time to administer and maintain the site.
All of this is done by members voluntarily. There seems to be a general view that the PRFMA is some sort of private club ( elitist among other words I have seen used ).
This may have been true to some extent in the past, but is definately not the view of the current executive and members. The PRFMA is a community group who stock and manage the the Lake Samsonvale fishery (as well as various others ) for the benefit of ALL and will continue to do so.
Have just received the SIPS allocation for Lake Samsonvale this year $13 457, at this point in time approximately 200 permits have been sold.
Whatever the outcome of the SEQ Water recreational review currently being undertaken PRFMA will continue to maintain and improve the fishery.

cheers
Steve.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
Ah, Fitzy, I think you have the dollars around the wrong way for NPD and somerset?

Thanks & thanks fellas.  :thanks
fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
I don't see the topic as a PRFMA and/or BAS witch hunt, that area is only a fraction of the lake. I see the potential of this lake as being out on the main basin, so it has little or nothing to do with the PRFMA / BAS, more to do with government policy. I see the by the votes so far, only one has voted to maintain the access status quo, all others lean towards more reasonable public access, me included.

How good would it be if average Joe that has his SIP could go drop his canoe in and go fishing without having to jump through more hoops?

Regarding the difference between SEQWater Boating Permit & the BAS permit..... SEQWater boating permit is $75 / annum to renew ($100 first time), if you have it you can access all areas of the lake that anyone else can, & you get both Wivenhoe & Somerset on same permit for same price, you only need ask for both to be checked. All of the monies from SEQWater Boating Permit go back into facilities, ramps etc (actually it runs at a significant loss) but these facilities alos provide for anyone to come and have a picnic, fish from the shore, bird watchers etc etc, not an exclusive just to permit holders. SEQWater also spend on average $30k / annum on fish restocking.

BAS at Adsets Rd is for permit holders only. Access to only part of the lake. Moneys raised maintain the access site for PRFMA & restock fish into the lake. Nobody can make the fish stay in the BAS area so shore based anglers at the few other access points can catch the odd one as well. Same goes for the fish stocked from SIP funds.
I've had ppl compare the BAS at NPD to say the Brisbane Valley Sailing Club wanting an exclusive use of the lake from Billies Bay to Platypus cliffs... not entirely the same but I can understand their views.

I recon the BAS is ok, leave it be for those that want to pay the $$. If you don't like it, don't pay it. Where anglers stand to pickup is the openning of the main basin of the lake to access. This I recon is where we should focus our energies.  :thumbsup

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
Fitz,
Agree with you 100%, it is a crying shame that there is no access to the main basin or the Kobble ck. arm for that matter. I have myself been fortunate to have fished pretty much all of the dam on a few occasions. Prior to SEQ Water setting the boundaries on shore based access have also walked most of the bank from all of the public access points. The bottom line is Lake Samsonvale is a very good fishery (and not just for Bass) which is at present under utilised and recieves minimal fishing pressure.

cheers
Steve. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »
My last 2 sessions at NPD were 22 bass and one yella and a few days before that 34 bass, the biggest was 34cm we hope that the bigger fish show up during winter, otherwise we have a lot of stocking to do, no matter where the money comes from.
 I would also like to see the whole dam opened up to all users, I cant see any sense in paying for a boating permit if canoes and kayaks can fish free in the main basin,after all we are all fishing. I feel the fairest way allround would be to open it all up to all users and everyone pay thier sips to fish. It would initialy cop a hiding being so close to Brisbane but I feel itwould settle down after awhile as long as it was stocked properly.

Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »
Other things to consider here is if the only access is via bullocky rest then that area will quickly get a lot of traffic and the fish will just move further up the dam. Then we would need more access points, this would mean more money, who would pay, even to get a bit of grass to launch your yak has to be maintained by somebody, because its public access this is a little different to putting the yak in the local creek. By the way I yak as well. Ithink there would have to be at least 2 access points, one in the middle and one at bullockies, like Hienze dam where they have east and west arm access. If SEQ water were to have Sommerset, Wivenhoe and North Pine dams on the same boating permits then everyone would benefit.

Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »
If SEQ water were to have Sommerset, Wivenhoe and North Pine dams on the same boating permits then everyone would benefit.

Dino
And yaks pay for access the same as boats.
 I do not see how the increase of sips sold would cover the lost revenue from the bas scheme so some way would have to be found to make up the shortfall in available funds for stocking.
Looking at SEQ waters history in  closing off access points to Wivenhoe I think that we are dreaming if we thinjk that they will provide additional access points and ramps.
We  are dealing with a business whose core role is to provide a water supply and they have no interest in spending money on things that will provide no return on their capital.
 A good recent example of how much they care is the way they stuffed up the new ramps at Hinze dam. They couldnt even design them to Australian standards and show no interest in fixing the problem.
 It is an entirely different kettle of fish from when Pine Rivers shire ran the dam. They were very progressive in their thinking and did everything in their power to promote local leisure and tourism facilities in their shire.
Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
Looking at SEQ waters history in  closing off access points to Wivenhoe I think that we are dreaming if we thinjk that they will provide additional access points and ramps.
Cheers
Ray
Cheers
Ray

Yep, was a sore point that Wivenhoe was the sacrificial lamb to free up maintenance funds to be spent on other lakes to keep their access points open. And lease access point over to club for private use similar to BAS at Samsonvale)

However there is still access to Wivenhoe:
Cormorant Bay - free public access with good facilities - shore fishing
Dam Wall / Info Centre - free public access with facilities - shore fishing
Captain Logans Camp - free day access. Camping sites, good facilities, shore fishing or bank launching
Mumley Hill -  free day access. Camping sites, good facilities, shore fishing or bank launching
Logans Inlet - free public access with good facilites - shore fishing or launching. Concrete Ramp
Hamon Cove - free public access with basic facilites - shore fishing or launching. Concrete Ramp
O'Shea's Crossing - free public access with good facilites - shore fishing or bank launching
Somerset Park - free public access with good facilites - shore fishing or bank launching
Branch Creek - free public access with good facilites - shore fishing or bank launching
Fulham Road Bridge - free public access shore fishing or bank launching. no facilities
Dundas Bridges - free public access shore fishing. no facilities

For those that want to pay for access via a club there are the following options:
Hayes Landing - Sailing Club
Maclean Point - Coominya Fishing Club
Murrumba Point - Grand Wivenhoe Fishing Club
Sheepstation Inlet - Qld Rowing

See map below showing Wivenhoe locations

View Wivenhoe in a larger map
Submission have been made to have Billies Bay reopened to the general public. Fingers crossed this becomes a reality.

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »

:thanks
Billies bay access reopened would be great. Then all we would require would be to stop stocking forkies. :-[
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »
:thanks
Then all we would require would be to stop stocking forkies. :-[
Cheers
Ray

Looks like NPD & Somerset have had forkies stocked as well......  :'(

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Don't need a ramp for a kayak. A car park is all that is needed at most. Water quality dictates non-fuel powered craft. (Imho I believe leccies have the capacity to pollute should a battery be lost overboard). Wind, paddle, pedal or gumboots. When all is said and done the dam, make that all dams, are a result of a river that has been taken away from the public. Give it back!
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
someone still has to maintain the car park or the grassed area to launch your yak