Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Licence fees?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrinkuck Dam
Licence fees?
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Just returned from a short trip to the UK. Scooting about Cornwall and Devon we stayed at Keith Floyd's old pub (The Malster's Arms) in Tuckenhay, Devon (pictured). This pub is on Bow Creek which is a tributary of the Dart River. Inquiries about waving a five weight fly rod over the water elicited the information that a "Visitor's Ticket" might be procured for between 12-20 GBP per day (or 50-100 GBP per week) depending on the species targeted. This for the one water only.

I'm stumped that there are still the odd fisho or two - particularly salties - out there that rail at the licence fees we pay in Australia.

That Flack's Catcher was a dangerously good drop....

The Drunks Over Eucumbene (est 1986)

You don't if I cast some?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
Re: Licence fees?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »
I'd happily pay more if you could see it translated into sigbnificant improvements in fisher access rights and fish stock and habitat managment outcomes.....

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
I recon the question that will always need answering is "what does handing over my hard earned cash get me?"

If this is adequately answered, then there should be little resistance to a licence. But a licence just for the hell of it, or as as a tax by any other name I'm opposed to.

Where does the money go?
What are the benefits to:
A- me &
B- the fishery

If I'm paying the govt for a licence to take fish, then I should be guranteed to catch a fish as per ACCC guidelines. A service charged for but not not provided is questionable. Would you be happy if you bought a carton of beer & opened the box to find it was empty???
You bet you wouldn't......    And don't forget that "target" means "take" as per fisheries Qld correspondance posted elsewhere on the site.

A long draw of the bow, but I'll certainly be making submissions around that concept should a licence be proposed in Qld without some damn good transparency & guarantees about it.

I don't recon I'm on a winning team on this long term, but if opposing it gets some concessions and greater transparency along the way, then I'll be quite vocal.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »
Personally I think a lot of NSW fishing Licence money is proving its worth. Plenty of RFH's coughing up more and greater varieties of fish than they have for 20 odd years prior to their inception. Plenty of good stocking effort in our freshwater systems. Potentially good breeding programs on some salty species too. Yes there should be more transparency still but I don't feel like I'm being violated with a broken stick either. Marine Parks? Well that's a whole different argument!