Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: SEQWATER Review (Lake Kurwongbah access)  (Read 25409 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
SEQWATER Review (Lake Kurwongbah access)
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
G'day All,

Came across an interesting article in the Pine Rivers Press (newspaper) today.  A Kallangur man has called for watersport restrictions to be lifted from Lake Kurwongbah.  This gentle man was refussed permission to kayak on the lake said only rowing club and skiing club can use the lake and he would like to see it open for canoes, kayaks and kids wee rubber duckies to be able to use it.  SEQWATER said it will conduct a review of recreational use of the main bulk water supply for Pine Rivers District.  The review will take place between January to June next year.  Last year they completed a recreational management framework.  Key considerations for this small lake is public saftey and any future access arrangements will have this consideration reviewed.  Public consultation would be a part of the Lake Kurwongbah's review next year,  the gentleman (named in article) has asked the community to give their opinions to authorities before and during the review.  SEQWATER is also reviewing the recreational use of Wivenhoe and Somerset.  Not sure whether fishing would be allowed as a part of this review but I will certainly be following this with interest and helping out where I can.  There was no elaboration on the review of Big W and Somerset.  Interesting times!!!

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
Re: SEQWATER Review (Lake Kurwongbah access)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
You have to wonder who OWNS these lakes. Not runs them or manages them on OUR behalf. :walkplank
I just put that smiley there 'cos I can.
Cheers John.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
The ski boats would have to go before I let my kids on there in a yak. I'd rather they opened up the bottom end of NPD anyway, better access from Bullocky's. Leave the skiers have their bit if paddock.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
Any chance of scanning the article for those who do not reside in area.
Last year Seq water asked for submissions re the recreational use of all waters that come under their control. They are still in the process of evaluating all the submissions so I find it a little strange that they are starting off again.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
Ray,

No problems at all I will do it first thing in the morning.  Not sure of the evaluation process as I have just taken the info straight from the article.  If I get a chance I will dig the scanner out a little later sorry.

Binder, 

I see your point and it certainly makes sense,  I don't begrudge the ski boats etc being there not by any means.  As for letting the kids out on yaks I would side with you on that one too.  I would still love to have a crack at the critters with fins if they were to allow it though.  Thanks for your input.

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:28:24 AM »
I recon let people go there with paddlecraft on any day they like, but close the dam or a certain area when there's ski events on. They surely don't need to burn petrol on the whole lake???

Re Samsonvale. I really don't see why paddlecraft couldn't or shouldn't be able to launch at Bullocky Rest & paddle the whole lake. An exclusion sone around the wall & equipment & a closed area when the wind jockeys are playing & bob's your uncle.

I'm astounded nobody has applied for this already.... I was considering applying to run a kayak event from Bullocky's last year.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
The skiers are out there nearly every day.
There is also the rowing club to consider.
Colin I tried to find the article in the digital edition of the paper but looks like it is different to the print one.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
The skiers are out there nearly every day.
There is also the rowing club to consider.
Colin I tried to find the article in the digital edition of the paper but looks like it is different to the print one.
Cheers
Ray

Really?? I used to live locally & spent many days there learning about the lake & its inhabitants. I have never (not even once) seen a ski boat on there. Maybe its a summer / winter thing... Its a phenomenon at Somerset where the lake lice go dormant in winter and reproduce to plague proportions as the water temp rises. Should get David Rabbitborough to come do a doco on it.... As Spock would say.... "fascinating".  ;)

Rowers are just kayakers who don't like to turn much aren't they??

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »
Ray,

The digital edition may not be available till this afternoon, I recieve Wednesday's paper on Tuesday's.  I am having an issue with the scanner but will have it up soon.  I live 2 mins away from the Lake and must admit I have never seen too many boats out there but then I may not be there when they are around.  I spend quite a bit of time around the lake with a rod in hand as that is where I swim test my spinnerbaits atleast thats what I tell the handbrake  ;).  I would imagine as the sun hangs around a little longer and it starts to get a little hotter that the ski boats will do as the mossies and begin to multiply excessively.  I am probably as uneducated as 3 house bricks on the issues that will be bought forward when the reviews take place.  I have enough trouble driving past a puddle without the temptation to fish in it let alone a body of water so large.   

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
Ray,

Here is a link for the article featured in the Pine Rivers Press.

http://paper.questnews.com.au/QST_PRP/prp005.pdf

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
It is my understanding that SEQWATER who own the lakes or at least all the water in them are very particular about giving unrestricted access.  I too would like to see wider access to NPD but I don't know the whole set of facts they make their decisions on so maybe they have their reasons.

Kurwongbah has only recently been stocked (http://www.prfma.com.au/fishstocking.html).  The PRFMA have been doing a lot of work in the area and also NPD but when it comes to access, SEQ Water are the gatekeepers.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
BrisBassMan,

I could not see them allowing unrestricted access to any joe blogs thats for certain.  Something similar to the Boating Access Scheme at NPD would be feesible though.  I would not even mind if it was just resricted to paddle craft (ie. Canoe/Kayak) only.  I will add I don't have a kayak at this point in time either, a fact which must change in the near future.  Given PRFMA have done a certain amount of stocking work, it would make for an interesting comparison in fish growth rates length and weights on similar fish between NPD and Lake Kurwongbah. 

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
I have seen data and stats(which I think are freely available) that show over time from when stocking started at NPD through to 2008(Not sure of exact end date) that growth rate and avg size of NPD fish was the definietly in the top 2 of all lakes in QLD.  Not sure if Big W pipped NPD at the post or not but NPD is a very special ecosystem.

It took a hit in the drought obviously but if you see the reports that come in from some pretty experienced fisho's that go out on NPD regularly, its still doing great and worth the money for the BAS permit.

I'm sure Kurwongbah will be similar but in my opinion(only mine) it needs more time.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
Bris,

I completely agree and thankyou for your input and that of everyone in relation to this topic it's appreciated  :thanks. The photos of some of the footballs being caught at NPD are a testament to the health of that system for sure, and I am sure in no uncertain terms that it's future is secure with the limited pressure via the BAS.  Wivenhoe is certainly a different beast and 1 I am only too keen to explore!!  I am going to attend the PRFMA meeting this evening so I will certainly gain a better insight as to how it all works.  I am keen to assist in any means possible and promote this wonderful sport in the light and manner which it deserves.  That dry spell certainly took it's toll on the lake however it seems to have recovered fairly well over the last 6 months (my very uneducated opinion...hahaha)

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
I sure Fitzy will agree with me that the intention was never to try and create another "Jurbassic Park" like NPD, and truth be told it would probably not be possible with this lake.

Rather an attempt has been made to find enough money to create a heavily stocked fishery which will hopefully allow meatos to get a feed and inexperienced fishos a better than average chance to catch a couple. Fortunately enough money was found to stock the lake to full capacity within the first two years of operation and funding to continue for the next 5 years along this path has been secured. With a little more time, Kurwongbah will be a great asset for the region.