Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 8 October 2013  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 8 October 2013
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
Lake Jindabyne
Trout Fishing Report.
For Week starting the 8th October 2013

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

Well that’s the opening weekend over for another year and as predicted I think the Thredbo River saw more anglers than trout.
The previous week we had more good rain and snow melt which gave the rainbow trout another late chance to spawn if they wanted to, however given the good rain that we have all the way from early Autumn and winter all trout have had plenty of chances to spawn and the fact that the brown trout were back in the lake so early and given we were catching so many good fish in excellent condition over the last month or so tells me, from my experience, 2013 was a very early spawning season! Nature is what it is all about! It is not about the calendar!

If the conditions suit, then trout spawn, that’s nature! I don’t care what all the fishing experts say and I can tell you now the trout don’t give a hoot what the fishing experts say either! I have a lot of research reports that also state that given a bad year (rain) that trout may not spawn or at least only spawn in small numbers.
So with that in mind we must now wait until the weather warms up a little, the trees and shrubs are just starting to flower, and that means moths, beetles and other bugs and that leads to food for trout and a very good reason to head to the river smorgasbord for a good feed.! That will happen very soon and I predict a start to the dry fly fishing season in the next few weeks.
Lake Jindabyne has a water release today (8th October) of 6634 ML over an 8 hour period.
Snowy Hydro state- The release regime will differ from previous years, with several high flow events scheduled during spring and early summer. Five of these events, including the Flushing Flow, will involve an 8-hour peak through the day that will cause the river level downstream to fluctuate substantially – much like a natural high flow event in an un-regulated catchment.
The change in release pattern also means that the Jindabyne Spillway gates are only expected to be opened for one day when the peak flow target exceeds the capacity of the cone valves.  That day is currently scheduled for Tuesday 8 October 2013.  The remaining releases will occur through the cone values and other infrastructure below the spillway.

Snowy Hydro is committed to ensuring the safety of those wishing to view these releases.
No risks in relation to public safety can or will be taken, and with this in mind, a temporary viewing area will again be established by Snowy Hydro downstream of the dam wall that will be accessible via the Council landfill road. The temporary viewing area will open from 10am to 4pm daily from 5-10 October 2013 with further details and location map to be advertised in the local newspapers. 
From - http://www.snowyhydro.com.au/blog/2013/09/10/snowy-river-flushing-flow-2013/
I do not expect that given the inflow that the release will have a dramatic effect on lake levels and whatever goes out will be back in the lake in no time at all and this will not affect the fishing conditions in fact I would expect while the shore based angling might slow a little, the boat trolling will improve ever so slightly.
Saying that, the boat fishing was a little slow over the long weekend and the gale force winds on Saturday did not help with most anglers heading for the pub to watch the NRL Final. (I thought it was a great game and congratulations to the chooks!)
With the lake level about to drop, this may just drive some of those trout feeding in the little shallow bay back out into slightly deeper water making it easier for the boat anglers to target the fish.
Flyfishing on the lake was made almost impossible due to the gale for winds and we would expect better fishing until Thursday when we may have another day of strong winds.
By far the best fishing over recent weeks has been the shore based bait fishing and there have been some excellent brown trout caught, mostly on worms and the rainbows are still a little quite but improving daily at the moment as they are also cruising closer to the shore of the lake.
I still have positions left for my Weekend Fly Fishing School on the 26th and 27th October.
Please pass the word around it is a great weekend of casting and fishing and special deals at the moment on accommodation and fly fishing tackle.
If you want the most up to date information you need to call into my shop or check out daily reports on Facebook
You can also WIN prizes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Williamsons-Lake-Jindabyne-Trout-Fishing-Adventures/286736598024666
Post your photos with a trout and a Tasmanian Devil or Rapala lure and win prizes in our weekly best fish competition.
LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is almost stable at the moment with the smaller water release and snow melt inflow. The temperature today was 8 degrees C.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure early and late or on windy days.
Best lake lure –Larger Rapalas mixed colours and Tasmanian Devil in green and gold (Willys Special).
Best lake area – Hatchery Bay is still fishing well but anywhere is OK.
Best fly method lake – Yabby Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Rivers OPEN on the 5th October. Nymphs and Glowbugs.
Best River Lures – Rivers OPEN on the 5th October . Rapalas, Bullet Lures, 3,5 inch Stumpjumpers.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.
Trolling.
I have already talked about falling water levels and what is expected this week so, if trolling, start the day with a surface line out and at least 50 metres drop back, the more the better on still sunny days. Stay close to the shore and target rocky points and other snags like the many trees in the water at the moment.
Try lead line at 2 to 3 colours. (20 to 30 metres of line out) later in the day or on still days.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellowing type Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful.
We are also getting a little positive feedback on the Dorado minnows that are new to our range.
Little bit of downrigging at 20 feet on the bright sunny days. Use longer dropbacks for best results.
Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, bardi grubs and artificial baits the best.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.
Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade.
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
River Spinning.
As reported earlier, the fishing was a little slow and you must now think about ‘stalking’ your trout as I think the methods used for spawning fish is over and it’s time to fish like we do in summer. The trout are going to be hiding in cover, until the insects come out and its time to feed. I the faster water the fish will be close to the bottom so diving minnow lures will be best and you might also see some fish caught on metal blades. I have a feeling that the Spotted Dog Rapalas will be worth a throw. Although new and mostly untried on our waters, the new Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and I would also have a few 3.5 inch Stumpjumpers that should be just right to get down to the fish. Don’t forget the soft plastics and the Strike Tiger range in pink and orange might just work well first up.
Fly Fishing Lake
Tough work over the weekend but I think the next few days should be OK before the next weather change hits. Early and late in the day is now the best black  or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.
Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
It was tough work on the Thredbo over the weekend as there were so many people about but we might see the conditions change with the weather warming up over the next few days and we might even see a little dry fly acting start early and late in the day.
Won’t be long before we see a few white moths and tea tree beetle about.
I haven’t got a lot more to say about the streams until I get a chance to look myself or get a few credible reports in.
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

Support my shop and help keep these fishing reports coming!

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

REPORT EMAILED FROM STEVE WILLIAMSON & POSTED ON HIS BEHALF