Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Shrimps  (Read 9563 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Shrimps
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Agree, I'm doubtful as any harm done. I mean salt water yabbies have been used in sweetwater lakes forever & a day with no negative impact that I'm aware if. Nor do I understand any potential impact....

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Shrimps
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »

Using marine baits in freshwaters

The use of baits from marine (saltwater) environment is prohibited unless the bait has been frozen, cooked or preserved. This is to prevent the spread of disease and parasites in Queensland's freshwater systems, and to protect native fish populations and the future viability of freshwater fish stocking programs.

Live bait

The use of fish and crustaceans such as spangled perch, redclaw crayfish, shrimp and yabbies as bait (dead or alive) is prohibited outside their natural environment or range. This is to prevent species from becoming established in foreign habitats and causing environmental damage. Currently three species can be used as live bait. They are:

redclaw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus) - native to the Gulf of Carpentaria Drainage Division and some river basins in the far northern portion of the East Coast Drainage Division. Redclaw can be used as bait only in these areas

shrimp (Macrobrachium australiensis) - found throughout Queensland and can be used as bait in all areas of the state

yabby (blueclaw crayfish) (Cherax destructor) - found naturally in the Murray-Darling, Lake Eyre and Bulloo-Bancannia Drainage Divisions, and some river basins in the East Coast Drainage Division. Yabbies can be used as bait only in these areas.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events