Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Freshwater Fishing Regulation Review!  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Freshwater Fishing Regulation Review!
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:21 PM »
G'day all,

I just thought I'd inform you that Queensland's Department of Agriculture, Fishing and Forestry will be reviewing our Freshwater Fishing Regulations for public consultation in the coming months. This is a very rare occurrence to which I have been lobbying very hard to have several regulations changed for approximately 24 months from a meeting in Fernvale with other South East Queensland Fish Stocking Groups and DAFF Officials all that time ago.

In the past 12 months I have also been liaising with the Hon. Jon Mac Vaigh, the state minister for this department with the assistance and support of my local member the Hon. Mark McArdle who I have met personally on various occasions regarding concerns of the regulations that effect my local area.

If you would like anything changed in your local area regarding the current Freshwater Fishing Regulations and would like to submit an application for review, please don't hesitate to contact me so that I can assist you in your quest with contact details and the process of submissions.

Issues that could effect you are exemptions of closed seasons or you'd simply like to have your body of water which you stock included on the SIP Scheme.

There is no time like the present, who know's when we'll get another opportunity.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
Re: Freshwater Fishing Regulation Review!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
Will there be a period of public consultation?
Or is this an opportunity to get in at the draft stage which to my mind is better than trying to alter something that they possibly will have a mind set on.
Would there be any advantage of trying to collate a list on this forum and submit it all in one go ?
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
I believe we need to come up again with better wording for closed seasons to certain creeks and rivers along with certain impoundments. That would be one concern. I was advised to submit Ewen Maddock Dam to be exempt of the closed season for Bass rather than many other bodies of water that also need to be changed including some creeks and rivers. So I now have had official confirmation that EMD is up for review to be exempt of the Bass closed season.

I have also set the ball in motion to include both Baroon Pocket Dam and Ewen Maddock Dam on the SIPS. Lake Baroon has been assessed and has the green light to be reviewed and EMD will be assessed in the next week or so. SEQ Water have written to me today pledging their support, which is all part of the process.

I'm unsure of the process of the review, however I knew about this consultation about 10 months ago from an official letter from the minister himself, which we have been working towards. I have given everyone plenty of notice from past posts and threads on SW to do something now, rather than later. I'd recommend if you haven't already submitted something you'd like reviewed, I wouldn't mess about!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
And you think having SEQWater support is a good thing?  They'll be looking at how they can make money out of it for nothing!  Expect some pretty hefty access and permit fees from them once its established.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
And you think having SEQWater support is a good thing?  They'll be looking at how they can make money out of it for nothing!  Expect some pretty hefty access and permit fees from them once its established.

It is manditory of the Department of Agriculture, Fishery and Forestry to obtain a letter of support from the managers of the given body of water that you wish to have included on the SIPS. Without this letter of support you will not be able to submit an application to have the body of water included. Ewen Maddock Dam and  Baroon Pocket Dam are managed by SEQ Water. EMFMI are hoping to be successful in their submission as we are positive the fundings will go a long way to stocking both lakes.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
It is manditory of the Department of Agriculture, Fishery and Forestry to obtain a letter of support from the managers of the given body of water that you wish to have included on the SIPS. Without this letter of support you will not be able to submit an application to have the body of water included. Ewen Maddock Dam and  Baroon Pocket Dam are managed by SEQ Water. EMFMI are hoping to be successful in their submission as we are positive the fundings will go a long way to stocking both lakes.

I'm president of SWFSA Dave, you don't have to tell me how it works.  I'm just informing you that SEQWater are doing all they can to profit out of recreational angling, and are actively discouraging it in certain areas. 

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »

I've not seen any water body controller ever have an issue with a stocked lake being included on the SIP. Would seem silly to be on board with restocking but not to the funding of it. I would very much doubt SEQWater would have any objections...

All positive Dave.   :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
Expect some pretty hefty access and permit fees from them once its established.

I reckon we will ultimately see one of two things:
a SEQwater boating permit to cover all the lakes / dams they operate, or
the boating permit totally removed from all.

The former is my tip, noting that I believe it pays for approximately half of the maintenance of the boat launching facilities at the lakes it is currently required. Without it at Somerset IMHO, there would be a lot more boats visiting, boat ramps in bad repair and no toilets. Or more closures??

I reckon if you tell them (SEQWater) and relevant state minister your story it might help them to understand that an alternative may need to be looked at. Example: perhaps a permit per person which can be transferred to whatever craft you're driving. (you can only drive one boat at a time). But that's a double edged sword in that anyone who borrows a boat would need to get a permit as the boat wouldn't be covered.

Cheers,

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:22:05 PM »
I've not seen any water body controller ever have an issue with at stocked lake being included on the SIP. Would seem silly to be on board with restocking but not to the funding of it. I would very much doubt SEQWater would have any objections...

All positive Dave.   :youbeauty

Don't want to burst your bubble !!  I can think of one - GAWB....

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »
Don't want to burst your bubble !!  I can think of one - GAWB....

From my (possibly incorrect ?) knowledge, GAWB were keen to have Lake Awoonga on the SIP to offset the on-going cost to them & GPA for ongoing costs at the hatchery, perhaps even going so far as to apply, but FMAC (or the SIP sub-committee thereof) would not allow it as there is no community fish stocking group. I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows otherwise.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 04:58:49 AM »
I'm president of SWFSA Dave, you don't have to tell me how it works.  I'm just informing you that SEQWater are doing all they can to profit out of recreational angling, and are actively discouraging it in certain areas.

Sorry mate, the joys of expressing yourself online.....I knew you would be up to speed with the process. I kind of skipped that and posted up what I wrote to inform any other fish stocking group the process to have their lake or body of water included on the SIPS.

I hope that more permits and fees don't transpire!!!

It's hard enough and costly enough as we do our best to improve the quality of the fishery and the ecology of a lakes!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 05:17:43 AM »
I'm going to apologise for bringing this bear with a sore tooth to the table, but are we going to consider to submit a request to have the wording changed to include other bodies of water included to be exempt to the Bass closed season?

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,3828.0.html

Don't shoot me down, I was just asking the question!