Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Green light on fishing for bass during closed season?  (Read 51661 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
Re: Green light on fishing for bass during closed season?
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2011, 01:21:54 PM »
Hi Tony,

That is the best reply to this question I've yet seen, thankyou for your input.  :thanks

You mentioned "ethics" & gave a great interpretation, can I use it? Between ethics & encforement we should see well managed fisheries. We all know either or bath can be a bit thin at times unfortunately so hopefully where one is lacking the other picks up the shortfall.

The other part of the topic is the "where" should a closed season apply. What are your thoughts in regard to closed season for bass where all of the fish are stocked or upstream of a barrier (eg upstream of Mt Crosby Weir on Brisbane River), or outside of natural area (eg Kolan, Gregory, Burnett, Burrum systems?

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Don't hold back Fitzy, ask me a hard question ;D ;D..

Personally, (and I stress this is my personal opinion) once there is a stocking program in place , practically the wild fish are impossible to seperate from stocked fish, and that is one of the reasons why currently you can keep 2 impoundment caught bass during the closed season...upstram of the listed dams.

In terms of places like the Kolan, that is a different issue.  and in reality I have no short term solution for you here...perhaps if we want to protect "wild" fisheries like the Noosa for instance, it may be that you would have to consider a total fishing ban on that system for the bass spawning season...(again I stress this is not an official position but a personal musing)... That raises another set of major issues of course...but perhaps the issues of optimal salinity areas in the river could be addressed, and then a closure implemented on that basis, could we use a system of floating closures throughout a river...again it's a nightmare when you start these types of discussions, but I would have thought that this would be an excellent opportunity for some brilliant uni student to base a project on :youbeauty....

.Mate the quote is from a training package for Fishcare volunteers so please go ahead and use it...In terms of more enforcement, well that is a two edged sword...some like it and others don't and you can be sure that you never get the balance right  :-\C:-)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
If you could catch "stocked bass" all year round in a Qld River, over time would there be any left if the white bucket brigade move in?

So who would restock the fish? A stocking group? Who pays for the fingerlings- The people that pay for their Sips in the dams?

You may as well have a SIPS for rivers that contain bass too.

Alternative keep the closed season and encourage goverment to put in suitable and workable fish ladders on the weirs on our rivers so as the bass can breed naturally.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
There's no reason why the SIP can't be applied to weirs. I've been begging someone to give me a fair & reasonable definition as to what is the difference between a dam & a weir for years.... And besides, its called SIP not SDP. "I" as in impoundment. A weir is an impoundment so why not. Nobody from representative/lobby groups (read FARTSAQ), FMAC (prior to its demise) or fisheries has been able to move this forward from a discussion point, and until then nothing will happen.

I wrote a draft check list for all involved on the then SIP committee to use as a starting point & still nothing happened.........   This would be fixed quick smart in NSW or Vic. Disappointing for sure  :walkplank

Cheers,

Fitzy.. 

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
Having a closed season for stocked bass upstream of weirs is like having a really good road & closing it for 3 months.
Bass are paid for with public money, for the purpose of recreational fishing. Why have it the them isolated for ¼ of the year for no reason? A closed season is there to protect spawning bass. It's almost univerally agreed that it's not desirable for these fish to breed due to unknown genetics.
It's a waste...... Maybe make it a zero take to keep everyone happy.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »
I am yet to be convinced that such a thing as a wild bass exists and as most breeders rotate and replace their brood stock there is possibly more bio diversity in their fingerlings than in the so called wild bass in the Noosa catchment  that, apart from escaped stocked fish that have migrated into their waters, have been inbreeding for  years.
I also wonder if there has been any recruitment in that area due to the presence of chemicals from the macadamia industry.
Would we not be better off to bring on some real political pressure to either remove or redesign with effective fishladders the offending weirs?
 Cheers
 Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
A good sentiment Ray, but do you have any idea of the cost of a workable fish ladder for Mt. Crosby weir?  The current State and Federal parliaments are bankrupting the country now, they can't keep roads repaired, or essential services running, how will they fund a very, very expensive fish ladder that may or may not work on Australian Bass.  Our current fish ladders were copied from European and American designs.  Unfortunately our Bass go downstream to breed and don't have the drive to force their way upstream, Salmanoids are the opposite.  We don't know if putting in a very expensive fish ladder will convince the Bass to travel back upstream.  An awful lot of research needs to go into it before the first one is built otherwise we'll just have a few more white elephants like the recycled waterpipe to Wivenhoe.  Sadly we have to admit that we, us humans, have ruined the Bass population in SEQ over the last 200 years, that is not something we can reverse overnight, if at all.  I can't fish for them for 3 months, fair enough, stupid law and unenforcable if you are catch and release fishing.  I'll just keep doing what I've been doing for nearly 10 years.  I'll fish the mid Brisbane river for "fish" and release what I catch.  If an inspector wants to walk the bank alongside me while I drift downstream in my yak and try to prove in court that I was specifically there to "take" Bass, good luck to him. :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
The fish "ladder" on the upper Tweed wier is working well. I've seen plenty of Bass moving in both directions there. But as far as a workable plan for targeting Bass in any enclosed waters where thwey have no access to get downstream, as far I'm concerned that constitutes an impoundment.
John

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
Dale that water quality in the hatchery ponds was due to it being more concentrated in the ponds as opposed to being in a larger body of water ie a river. What do we know about reports of 2 headed Bass in the Noosa?
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
RE fishladder for Mount Crosby.
Do bass have different requirements to those ladders that successfully work for yellas and cod that are successfully being built on the inland waterways by the Murray Darling Alliance?
Especially with the carp entrapment modification in one of the latest posts.
I also note the working ladder in the Tweed.
Another alternative could be similar to the fish "lift" in use at the new Hinze dam where the fish wishing to migrate upstream are entrapped and the unwanted species such as carp and tilapia are culled and only the wanted species are transported upstream of the dam wall. Whilst this system does not allow downward migration it would be better than the current ladder.
I do not think that funding is the problem to solving the difficulties with Mt Crosby and other redundant weirs it is the political motivation and that is something that we can all do something about.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
Dale that water quality in the hatchery ponds was due to it being more concentrated in the ponds as opposed to being in a larger body of water ie a river. What do we know about reports of 2 headed Bass in the Noosa?
John

It's a bit hard to read, but if you google 2 headed Bass Noosa River, you find a few links.  I saw it on the Internet so it must be true.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »
The more I read about this, the more confusing it gets. Had several differing opinions from different sources myself. Just going to renew my sip permit and hit the dams, if I need a bass fix!  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
I don't see how it's confusing, I am going to abide by their new laws and hit up bass in the non tidal reaches :) probably print a copy of the changed legislation and keep on me however.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »
QFBP did a presentation and there is no issue at all with the new rule changes, also not sure why this old post had to be dredged up.  If you are fishing in non-tidal waters you're good to go.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Copeton dam
Re: Green light on fishing for bass during closed season
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:32 AM »
I recon it comes down to the individual to be at peace with their own conscience...Fishing for spawning bass in a wild river (that is unstocked & unregulated system) is poor form.

thats how I see it, I could easily target bass during the closed season and claim them as by-catch but I choose not to for the above reason