Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Why get a Boating Permit?  (Read 20874 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Why get a Boating Permit?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »
I've never heard of the sailing club selling boating permits.
Now you have Dale

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 07:58:01 AM »
Now you have Dale

Where do you go to purchase a permit from the Sailing Club?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Part of email from sailing club.
 we can sell a coating permit at the same time that we take a membership form, but we can only stamp and receipt it for Wivenhoe dam. They are better off calling at information centre at dam wall and paying same price for both dams..
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Where do you go to purchase a permit from the Sailing Club?

Just give me a call mate and I will meet you out there. Will do a daily for 12.50 and yearly for $95

Permit may look like dunny paper but its got the same value and use.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
Permits used to be available from sailing club sec
Dino

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
I just thought I would resurrect an old post, because we were promised changes from SEQWater and yet received none.  We were told that there would be one permit for all lakes, and yet, still, there is really only a payment required to Seqwater to use lakes Wivenhoe and Somerset. 
Now, this site;  http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreation/boating#boat_permit tells us this  "Seqwater uses the money raised by the boating permit system to help fund lake patrols and assist with the cost of providing and maintaining recreation facilities"
So the money raised is used to fund lake patrols, and yet the lake patrols are only done to ensure users have a permit.  OK, I guess that makes sense to Seqwater.
The money raised also assists with the cost of providing and maintaining recreation facilities, but only at Wivenhoe and Somerset? or are Wivenhoe and Somerset users subsidising Samsonvale, Kurwongbah, Hinze, Moogerah and Maroon users?
Is the money raised also used to provide BBQ facilities to the general public? or to complete the (obviously rare) cleaning of the toilets at The Spit?
Is it really only the boaters using Wivenhoe and Somerset who are paying to way for all of Seqwater's recreational facilities?
How can a business like Seqwater justify having only a minority of users pay for what the majority of users enjoy?  I have to wonder what the ACCC would think of that.
Are Seqwater telling us that it doesn't cost anything for them to do lake patrols on lakes Moogerah, Maroon, Hinze, Samsonvale, Kurwongbah, Atkinson's Lagoon, Lake Dyer etc.? but it does cost them to patrol Somerset and Wivenhoe.  Why is that?
Maybe if Seqwater's hierarchy took a little drive up the mountain, and visited Lake Cressbrook they would see what can be done for a user pays system.  A $2 coin opens the boom gate for all visitors to the lake.  It doesn't matter if you are going fishing form the shore, fishing from a kayak or canoe, fishing from a boat, swimming, paddling an SUP or having a family BBQ, you pay $2 per car towards the maintenance of the "recreational facilities".
To me, that seems pretty fair.  Everyone pays to play.
Now, I suggested that this could even be taken one step further when I attended the public input day at Fernvale a few years ago and was laughed at by an Seqwater employee.  Just about every vehicle on the road has a GoVia beeper on their windscreen.  Instead of the cost of a boom gate at every public area, it would have to be more cost effective to just have a sensor that automatically debits your GoVia account.  If it works for the roads, why shouldn't it work for Seqwater?

Discussion and ridicule welcome......

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Good points Dale 
I went the other way in my submissions in that i asked for nil fees to be applied to all dams why should boaters on any dam be asked to subsidize other users who are not required to have a permit yet still utilize the facilities and still have to have their activities monitored by the rangers. 
Be a bit hard to have go via readers at all access points as some of them do not have electricity.
You only need a boat permit if your vessel is required to be registered with the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads and/or would normally be transported on a trailer, due to the size of the craft. Kayaks, canoes and similar small craft do not normally require a permit.
Very vague wording
Are there 2 conditions that have to be complied with
 One being that the boat is required to be registered plus carried on a trailer ( or normally carried on a trailer)
Or does only one of the conditions have to be complied with.
I seem to remember Dom Courtney stating at one of the meetings that if the boat was not registerable ( under 4 hp motor) no permit is required. But he is no longer with SEQ water so who knows.

Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
It definitely says "and/or" Ray meaning either registerable or normally on a trailer or both.

You only need a boat permit if your vessel is required to be registered with the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads and/or would normally be transported on a trailer, due to the size of the craft. Kayaks, canoes and similar small craft do not normally require a permit.
The other caveat is the word "normally" where they refer to Kayaks, canoes and similar small craft.  Does that mean it is up to the individual interpretation of a ranger?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
Something else to ponder.  What can Seqwater do to you if one of their "lake patrols" discovers you do not have a "permit"?  Are there any fines involved? or do they have to sue you?  It would be a very interesting court case again, "um Your Honour, yes I was at their lake without a Permit, just like the 2000 people using the BBQs and toilets who aren't appearing before you here today because they are allowed to be there, but I'm not!"  "No Your Honour, the kayakers and canoers didn't have permits either, but they also don't need them."

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
From SEQ water
 Hi Ray

We are a aware that vessels with engines under 4 hp do not require registration but if they are ordinarily transported on a trailer they do require a boating permit.

Lyn Brough Recreation Support Officer

Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
She's the lady who couldn't explain to me why I needed two permits when launching the Waverunners from one trailer.  All she can tell you is "their" "rules" not laws or consequences or reasons.  It's a shame that the Seqwater people who monitor Sweetwater can't tell us in plain language why these stupid rules are in force, and why they wish to discriminate against the boaters that use Lake Wivenhoe and Lake Somerset by extorting an annual charge to float on the water.  I guess it comes down to the numbers using the lakes and Somerset being pretty easy pickings for them.  Immoral, and probably not legal, but we have to pay.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
In your next email Ray, ask Lyn the consequences for not having a permit.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
This was my email in May of 2013.
Good afternoon Dale
The permit itself  is issued as a means to educate lake users about the restrictions and site specific requirements for the lake they intend to use. The statistical data collected aids the strategic recreation planning process.
Monies raised from the sale of permits goes back into the provision and maintenance of recreational and boating facilities.
We are currently entering into a process to review the recreational activity requirements  (including boating permits) at all Seqwater sites  and the outcomes of this review will dictate future requirements.

Regards
Lyn

so I replied with this;
Thank you for the reply Lyn,

I have asked many of my friends, both fishing and Jetskiing people, and of the 30 people asked, only two had been offered any education on restrictions, and one had asked for information and been given it.  That is only 10% of the Permit buyers being given any education.  This may be an area for improvement when you are reviewing your processes.  In my own experience, I have never been offered education. 
At Easter time this year, I went to the Spit.  We have two Jetskis which are carried on a single trailer.  When I stopped to buy my permit, I was surprised when the Ranger wrote out a single permit, added both registration numbers of the vessels to the single permit and charged me double the price for the permit.  I didn’t receive any education on regulations, I only used the ramp once and we didn’t use any of the other facilities.  On leaving, we stopped at the toilet block and my partner refused to use the Ladies so I doubt much of the funds raised from the Permits are used in the upkeep of the toilets.
I can’t see a reasonable need for me to pay double the amount of any other boater when I don’t get twice the benefit.  Perhaps you could explain.

Regards,
Dale Sinclair

and received this;
Good afternoon Dale
I have captured your feedback regarding the education process for inclusion in the recreation review that is currently underway. If you would like to have further input into this review process you can do so at http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreview

It is permissible for any authorised person issuing permits to record multiple vessels on the one permit form for the one owner. The fee is charged per vessel.

The number of visitors to Lake Somerset ( and in fact all of the Seqwater lakes) at Easter is usually exceptionally high and this makes it difficult for the limited staff resources  to constantly maintain all of the public amenities. I have passed your concerns on to the coordinator for Somerset and asked that the concerns be considered in planning for next years high visitor numbers.
Regards
Lyn

None of which really made any sense, and obviously wasn't considered in the review, although the reasons for the permit have been changed on their website.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
Coobey and Cressbrook no longer require $2 to get in.

Boom gates are still there but have been open / up every time I have been there over the last 18 months or so.

On a side note pulled into Copeton Dam / Copeton Waters, and as a day visitor there is a fee of $10. It has a boom gate and a window for them to take your money.

Me I reversed out of it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »
I boat and kayak, a one off  permit of $50 that covers  whichever  watercraft you are using, boat yak or canoe, for use in all SEQ water dams along with your fishing permit is the way to go, there should be no need to pay any more. I think most people would be happy with that. Also a $2 entry fee would have the picnic goers paying their way as well.

Dino