Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Some Bass and Saratoga flies  (Read 9975 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
Some Bass and Saratoga flies
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »
With the bassbug well and truly burrowing under my skin I've been busy tying some flies to tempt these brawlers.Saratoga are in my sights too so I've been tying a few patterns for them too. I've only ever caught 2 Togas up in NT back in 2003 with one being my first ever fish on fly on a gurgler fly. I've caught about 20 bass on fly using a few different patterns that I tie predominately black in colour and featuring marabou as one of the main materials. I'm a firm believer in the leech style patterns for Togas and a local pattern that is the gun fly for Borumba Togas. Having been in a local club and chatted with a few fly fishos addicted to Togas I've made a few tweeks to this "go to" pattern using different materials and trimming them slightly different to the original pattern. #### BASS PATTERNS -the Bass Vampire -I'm not a great fan of kinky fibre because of it's lack of movement in short winged patterns so I substitute the black kinky fibre top wing with black squirrel tail. Squirrel tail has a stiff butt but mobile tips so it doesn't tail wrap as easily as bucktail although on this short winged pattern it's rarely a problem. I make the eyes mixing paint in with epoxy (just a drop) and adding to either brass or nickel eyes. I never use lead for several reasons. I tie the pattern with and without a wire weed guard. ----- Pat's Six Mile Special - this is the same general shape as a vampire but the body is rust brown chenille,underwing black squirrel tail and the overwing black marabou. I've only tied this with bead chain to maximise the movement of the marabou. This accounted for my best (and first) bass on fly fished off a Scientific Angler Stillwater Clear intermediate #4 weight.All the bass I have caught have been on this set up. I generally don't measure fish but usually get a quick pic alongside the rod then measure the rod later getting the fish back in the water quickly. I estimated the best fish around 41-42 cm and fat !!! ### Other variations of these patterns that have caught fish are all black versions of both patterns and versions with the body made of black and red chenille twisted together to give a mottled effect. ##### SARATOGA (& Bass) FLIES - I may get in trouble revealing this pattern (some may know it) but hey you may have the gun pattern but can you fish it properly ? Something I hope to find out. This fly is called Andy's Toga Destroyer and has alot of inbuilt movement commonly taken by fish on the drop. The best I've personally seen caught on the pattern was by Chris Adams and measured 4.5 of my hand spans - 85-90 cm and was caught in August. Chris reckoned if it was summer he never would have landed it where it was caught. The pic doesn't do it justice as it is being released under water. The best photos were on Chris's camera. Anyway the original pattern is tied with marawool spun like deer hair and has a rabbit zonker tail. I don't like the way the marawool holds alot of water so I started tying it with Mega hair a much coarser hair that sheds water quickly on the backcast. This is the fly in the Thai snakehead photo. I've been experimenting tying the fly entirely of black polar fibre and looks like it is going to be good. I showed it to Snow at Tie 'N Fly outfitters and it seemed to get the nod. My ties have been a fair bit bigger than the original patterns so I may have to start downsizing them. By all accounts early in the season smaller is better. Only bead chain eyes are tied right behind the hook eye as you want the fly to sink slow and stay close to the surface e.g. the top foot or so. I'll be tying some with zonker tails and polar fibre tails but you have to be careful to watch out for tail wrapping. With the zonker tails a simple mono loop tied on top before the zonker reduces some wrapping but as a general rule if you keep the hide of the zonker less than the hook gape you shouldn't have a problem. Here's a few pics and some fish caught on them. Pat

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
Re: Some Bass and Saratoga flies
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
Variations of the Toga Destroyer. The coarse hair ones are Mega Hair including the orange/black one ,the pic with two flies the left is Marawool body,Polar fibre tail. One on the right all Polar fibre. The Snakehead pic has a Mega hair version in it's mouth and Chris releasing a Borumba Toga caught on a Marawool body , Zonker tail version. Generally fished off a floating line and a 10 ft leader but slow sink intermediate lines have their place. PAT

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi Pat
Is that you in the snakehead photo? Going to Variety Toga Comp this month?  Track me down there & I will give you a fly the toga like (redclaw neutraliser) but you may need to use a heavier  rod than a 4# to fish it   Denis

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Great work Pat! Something I've always wanted to do, but have never had the chance.  :GoodPost)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »
Denis yes that is me with the snakehead 1 of 4 caught on 3 different flies - a Flashtail Clouser,Toga Destroyer and a Wiggle Minnow. Regarding the Toga comp at Borumba I hadn't really thought about it much but Iam interested to see this fly you mentioned. ###### Dave yes it's another aspect of fishing that can become obsessive and real satisfying to see a creation get fish. I'm looking forward to heading to Borumba or EMD to chase them - weather permitting. PAT