Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: TSR's The iconic public access  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 13
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
TSR's The iconic public access
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
Any one who has fished the western rivers and accessed a river through any of the thousand of TSR's ( travelling stock reserves ) would know what a assett these are for anglers wanting access to our  rivers , Our taxes levies etc fund the up keep of these TSR's and one would think if we are asked to fund these public lands then we should be able to access the same as the days of drover's in the "long paddock " rapidly diminish then you may be dissapointed to find that angling is an excluded activitey in a TSR  , we need to nudge the pollies and tell them this is another stupid piece of legislation To exclude " horse riding in a TSR is ludacrous , drovers still use horse's when droving so when they bring their stock into a TSR they must leave their horse's tethered to the fence outside !
. here is part of a letter about the issue .

It was pointed out to me by the LHPA  that as "Fishing" is considered an excluded activity on TSR's in the western division. This means that you cannot fish from a TSR in 44% of the state . I investigated  other ways of gaining access for this purpose ie broad permit  however I was advised that as the activity of Fishing is excluded,  it is considered a prohibited activity and we are unable to apply for a permit. This is advice from  the LHPA not our interpretation of their legislation. Anglers are not alone as this also extends to walking, picnicking, horse riding and cycling . The reality is that you could apply for a permit if you wanted to hop on one leg on a TSR as this is not an excluded activity. I don't think that anyone realises that this exclusion also includes western Land's Lease holders.

This fishing exclusion extends to those TSR's located adjacent to part of the Murray River, Lower Lachlan and part of the Murrumbidgee  however it encompasses all of the Darling , Warrego, Paroo rivers to name a few. To put this in perspective the combined distance of these would better the states entire coastline.

For your next question I have already prepared and submitted a brief on this issue for further direction on how to proceed from a I&I point of view . In parallel to this I am madly identifying all other access outside of these TSR's and Western Lands Leases WLL.  These lands include all NPWS lands (however access is generally highly limited in these) , Crown Roads and Other reserves not considered WLL. This remaining land needs to be defended from any limitations that would impact on access to the rivers. The flow on effect is that any plan of management , road closure or other in this area will be scrutinised to the highest level to ensure access remains in perpetuity. We then need to look at enhancing this access which will prove to be extremely difficult due to the ongoing social issues in the Western Division.

Regards
Ken

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
Re: TSR's The iconic public access
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »
Unfortunately with so many people doing the wrong thing, I can understand why it is easier for the beuracrats to lock us all out of these areas than clean up the mess left by a idiots >:(

Cheers Andrew