Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Dumaresq River cod season opener.  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Dumaresq River cod season opener.
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
I caught up with the usual crew of StevenM and Poppy down on the Dumaresq River on Friday night. I like hanging around these old guys, they make me feel young .  ;D
Arrived just after 10pm and those fellas were just finishing setting up camp. I was keen to cast a few lures before crashing, but they were more keen for bed. So I launched by myself under an almost full moon.
It wasn’t long before my first fish was landed, an almost aquarium sized cod.

I then proceded to have a heap of hits but no hook-ups. I followed the river upstream around the corner but the action soon dissolved away, maybe it was the bright moon. I still put in a few hours before I thought I better turn back around towards camp. Getting closer to back where I launched the hits returned and a few fish.

By this stage it was after 1.30am QLD time and I thought bugger it, I’m not going to bed leaving the fish biting.
I’m glad I did. It resulted in landing a new pb. The fish smashed me near a recent fallen tree, bricked me for awhile and then towed me around the river as I attempted to get the lip grips on.

As I wasn’t far from camp, I thought I would wake the old blokes up to get me the pool room photos. Eventually after some moaning and groaning they obliged.

97cm on the ol mat.

As I was now soaked, decided to call it a night.
Very early in the morning, the old blokes thought it was their right to wake me up. After a quick feed, we hit the water.  But before that, have a gander at StevenM’s pants !!!!!!!!! wtf????

Off we go.

Steve was first on the board.

Jeff and Steve having a flick after a portage.

Resulting in Poppy’s first caught at his feet.

There was plenty of structure in the part of the river.

My first for the day.

From there, the fish became regular for all of us.

This was nice stretch of the river.

I mainly threw surface lures from mid morning onwards. My last 8 fish were caught all on surface.

By mid afternoon we turned around and paddled back up to camp. A storm was brewing in the west. The plan was to have a break before another night session and another long fish on Sunday.  We decided to bail and leave for home. Lucky we did, I drove through 2.5 hrs of heavy rain , dry roads only from Toowoomba and east. We had lost count on how many fish when we went past 30 fish in total for the 3 of us anyway. It was a great weekend. Thankyou for the company guys.

Cheers,
Dave.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon100
Wilderness Systems Aspire105 x3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 105
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T