Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Qld All Sweet Water Fishing Licence? 5 1

Poll

Do you support the idea of an Freshwater Fishing Licence for all non-tidal waters in Qld

Yes - I support an all waters fishing licence for freshwater  
I support a state wide fishing licence (both rust water & sweet water)
I prefer to keep the status quo, SIP only
No, I don't support any fishing licence system
Other- I will post a reply

Author Topic: Qld All Sweet Water Fishing Licence?  (Read 11210 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Qld All Sweet Water Fishing Licence?
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
Please see below from FFSAQ

Do you think Qld should have an FRESH WATER FISHING LICENCE FOR ALL NON-TIDAL WATERS?

F F S A Q  INC.         
Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland Inc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24th November 2012

To:   All Stocking Groups

A Freshwater Fishing Licence   ???

As you would be aware there has been debate and discussion during the past year or so over the merits or otherwise of the introduction of a statewide recreational fishing licence.

During the March 2012 State Government election, no political party endorsed the implementation of such a licence.      Soon after the LNP was elected to Government, it asked Sunfish Queensland for criteria that Sunfish would accept if a proposal was forthcoming.     Sunfish Queensland  responded but the LNP advised it was no longer interested.      At the recent Sunfish Annual General Meeting, FFSAQ asked if Sunfish was going to pursue the introduction of a statewide fishing licence, but was informed that Sunfish has a current position of not considering a licence until asked to by Government.

The ramifications of the LNP budget savings and the subsequent impact that it has on recreational fishing has been significant.    The reduction of services and funding to the freshwater sector are well known.     

FFSAQ, at its recent meeting, discussed the current situation and considered possibilities that may resolve the dilemma  recreational fishing is now facing.     The thrust of opinion was that freshwater fishing requires an ongoing and reliable  funding source that is as far as possible independent of Government intervention.    Given that Sunfish Queensland is not interested in pursuing a statewide fishing licence, FFSAQ believes that the “freshwater sector” should now at least progress the discussion of considering the introduction of a “freshwater fishing licence” in Queensland as an option to overcome funding deficiencies.     Of course, there may be other and possibly more appropriate options, but if there are, let’s hear of them.

As with most concepts there are nearly always positives and negatives.     It is felt that the positives are fairly obvious, but the negatives certainly need to be addressed before committing to any licence system.        Criteria, such as, and including the following would need to be established:
•   All revenue raised from licence fees to be held in a separate Trust Account.
•   Criteria for the allocation of funds to be documented in legislative Regulation
•   An agreed administration fee to be set in legislative Regulation
•   A Board, with a majority of recreational industry membership, be appointed to administer the scheme

Before FFSAQ is to take this concept any further, it needs to have at least a majority of its membership in support.     Please keep in mind that at this stage it is only an idea and could wither on the vine.     It is up to you as members.      Remember however, and particularly those who are likely to oppose such a concept, there are two alternatives.    One is propose another concept entirely, or put up with the present situation of being duded by government. 

FFSAQ’s next scheduled meeting is set down for January the 19th January 2013.
It would be appreciated if you could forward your response by that date.      It is important that FFSAQ receives a clear view of your position, so please respond regardless of whether or not you agree or disagree with concept.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Les Kowitz
FFSAQ Executive Officer.

** NOTE - YOU NEED TO VOTE IN ORDER TO SEE THE RESULTS OF THE POLL

WE WILL FORWARD THE RESULTS OF THE POLL TO FFSAQ FOR THEIR CONSIDERATION AND ACTION

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Qld All Sweet Water Fishing Licence?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
As long as all funds went in to stocking.
IE No Govt 25% creamed off as per the SIP.
No funds diverted to fund organisations, (sunfish only interested in a licence fee so they can get the snouts in the trough)
None spent on infrastructure etc.

Why?
Because I dont think it would raise any more money than the current SIP. I believe virtually everyone in to fresh water fishing would be fishing one of the SIP waterways already.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 6
  • Kayak fishing nut.
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Dumaresq River
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
As long as all funds went in to stocking.
IE No Govt 25% creamed off as per the SIP.
No funds diverted to fund organisations, (sunfish only interested in a licence fee so they can get the snouts in the trough)
None spent on infrastructure etc.

Why?
Because I dont think it would raise any more money than the current SIP. I believe virtually everyone in to fresh water fishing would be fishing one of the SIP waterways already.

Not me :)
I did buy a weekend pass earlier this year but that's my first one for about 4 years.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
IF there is talk of a fishing license of any sort it should a blanket license to cover both salt and fresh. Administration and disbursment of funds to be overseen by stakeholders rather than handed over to the pubic serice. You can't trust them run a choko vine over a dunny.
JD