Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Currently:
  • Chasing Wild Bass In The Upper Reaches 5 1

General Category > Articles, Fishing Stories & Yarns

Chasing Wild Bass In The Upper Reaches

(1/3) > >>

Bracey:
In the last year or so I have really enjoyed the challenge of targeting wild Bass in the right up in the upper reaches of a lot of our coastal creeks and river systems in the south east corner of Queensland especially on the Sunshine Coast, skinny water country where it is too difficult to kayak and land based angling is the best approach.

It has amazed me how much little water these little Aussie Battlers can be found in with some being caught in waters with creeks that are only about 1 metre wide and about 30cm deep. I’m constantly asking myself questions of when’s the best time to catch these Bass out of the closed season, learning more and more every time I walk the banks.

Like most waterways or impoundments the body of water that we fish in, is constantly changing. These small creeks systems are constantly changing from outside influences due to flooding rain when new sand banks and snags can be formed and others destroyed. On the other hand when wet weather times are lean these creek systems can dry up significantly and the Bass tend to congregate in deeper waterholes.

When the creeks flow from run off rain, pushing into the catchment areas there is much food and nutrients that also flow downstream along with the sediment that is picked up from the sandy, muddy banks giving the Bass cover in the murky waters from predators such as the native Sea Eagles that also reside on the coastal fringes, and another apex predator or hunter, the angler.

When the creeks are flowing, food can be abundant and Bass are actively feeding hard up at the base of small rapids in eddies that are formed by the water flow circling off structure such as timber logs or rock formations. Here the Bass feed on anything that resembles an easy meal as the Bass eagerly waits for an unsuspecting bait fish to be pulled downstream, apposed to when times are dryer and the creeks have turned to a trickle. Due to the cover of the murky water from suspended sediment you are able to cast lures from the banks edges to which the Bass can be sometimes feeding just below the surface at your feet. Using small subsurface lures and a long leader can be an effective combination when targeting these Bass in this situation. Casting the lure upstream and letting them drift downstream through the rapids and into the strike zone of these eddies before retrieving the lure against the flow of the creek.

In the dryer times Bass can be found at the head of larger pools taking cover under structure such as fallen timber and rock ledges. Sometimes food can be scarce and the Bass will take any opportunity to take a meal when it presents itself. What has changed? Water levels have dropped, water flow has slowed, suspending sediment has settled and the water clarity has improved immensely. A different approach is needed. Submerged snags, structure and fish can be seen clearly from above the waters surface. Being stealthy and well hidden casting lures from behind trees and shrubs or higher from the banks edges is needed. Casting lures such as diving hard bodies, spinner baits and small blades against these structures luring the Bass from beneath their comfortable snags can be awesome fun. Surface fishing using top water lures can be even more exciting especially when sight casting for these feisty fish who can be seen actively feeding on unexpected insects that have fallen to a watery grave.

It is fantastic to see so many local waterways so healthy with breeding populations of Australian Bass. In the very upper reaches the Bass tend to be not of any great size, however from time to time you can be rewarded with a trophy fish in excess of 50cm plus, it’s all about the adventure, wondering what can be lurking around the next bend of the creek.

Hopefully this post will encourage and provide others to fish this type of terrain, giving them a small insight of this type of fishing and something to think about when planning their next skinny water adventure.

Cheers Dave

Brad H:
Bracey, I agree totally. My first Bass was caught on the North Maroochy above Yandina, 37cm out of a pocket the size of a dinning room table between 2 runs over rock shelves, absolutely awesome experience and that hooked me on the bronze battlers forever.

Another Bass I caught up that way was in a pool totally separated from any waterway by about 2 miles except when it floods  ::) only went 20cm but was a total surprise  :o i was just trying the lure to see the action not expecting a fish to be in a roadside drain that far from the creek.

Cheers Brad

Brett Guy:
Great post mate. Sort of captures the whole esscence of bassin in my mind. I have caught them in them in dams before but much prefer the whole feel of chasing them in their natural environmment.
 Sounds like youve got a pretty good handle on them aswell.

StevenM:
Nice one Dave

Wild bass and surface action. Doesnt get any better I recon.

Eelman71:
You've certainly got me hooked on this sort of fishing Dave. The first day you took me fishing and caught the 6 bass was my best day fishing ever!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version