Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bjelke-Petersen Dam, first attempt since full  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any dam
Bjelke-Petersen Dam, first attempt since full
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
For years joes dam was always one of my favourite dams to hit. I always went well there with big bass and yellas. When the dam ran over there was wide spread rumours that the fish had gone over the wall like most and fishing was terrible so there was only 1 thing to do, go have a crack and see for my self.

Got up there yest arvo and had a yarn to some mates already there. All reported it to be very quiet. Out of 3 boats 2 had reported donuts and 1 mate had landed 5 very small yellas on 1 point. So we hit the water. Milling around fish were hard to find on the sounder so we trolled around points while searching. I ended up picking up 1 small bass. Water fairly warm at around 27-28degrees. With the reports of fish in the timber we headed up the top and spent the arvo casting to standing timber, and weeded edges for nothing.

Hit the water early this morning and thought we might hit the main points with jackalls and plastics. It took me a while but managed my 1st small bass in about 5 foot of water casting to the edge. Had a few more hits in this spot but moved on. Then hit some standing timber on the creek edge. Here i landed another 2 bass on jackalls. Only small bass at around mid 20s. Had few more hits but nothing major before packing up and heading home.

With the sudden majour increase in water and loss of fish over the wall it may take a while and alot of stocking to get the dam back to its former gloray but it was great seeing it full and landing some small bass to see there is a future for the dam. Talking to some locals, 1 bloke told me he owned a property right up the creek and have been catching bass and yellas in it. Another angler had walked the creek below the wall and caught some good bass and a fair few. So i be thinking a bit of time on google earth may be on the cards and a bit of foot falconing up creeks! :)

Cheers
ps sorry no pics i left camera behind

Bass, Barra, Bucks, Bulls and Bush....