Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: First Addition to the Prowler Torque...Rod Holders  (Read 12475 times)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
First Addition to the Prowler Torque...Rod Holders
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »
I bought these Rod Holders from the States recently when the Aussie Dollar was high. I decided to go with these rod holders after seeing them on Steven M's kayak and I particularly like them as they can be moved to almost any position. As I have been using Ram product on my kayaks for years I know they will be a reliable rod holder. Also the way the rod can be placed and taken out the rod holder is relatively quick and easy too.

The Rod Holders comes standard with a round ram mount base and on initial inspection at the mounting location on the side of the kayak I thought it would be a difficult task to use them, purely as the area on the side of the kayak is rounded and the round base required alot of fasteners, using either screws or bolts would be difficult.

I did see recently on the Web another way of mounting Ram Rod Holders by using a different mount base. I discovered the Ram Clamp with Ball (RAM-247U-25) mount would be perfect as it has only two spots to fasten it to the side of the kayak and it also provides a superior mount by not only bolting it to the side of the kayak but also clamping it to the kayak by using the inside mounting plate of the bracket. So it was down to Brisbane to Johnny Appleseed GPS to buy some new base mounts to make the installation job much easier.

These are the Ram Rod Holders RAM-117SWU

Fits ok, but far too many fasteners required plus it rocks on the rounded surface of the kayak

The ram Clamp with Ball Bracket (RAM-247U-25), notice the bottom plate which clamps the side of the kayak between the two plates.

Only two bolts required here, not as much rocking in the rounded edge of the kayak and with the bottom plate clamped on the inside of the kayak a very solid mount base.

I decided on placing the base plates for the rod holders right next to where my feet will rest in the foot pegs. With the aid of a second person holding the rod holders in place I was able to sit in the seated position and work out where I was able to reach the rod in the holders from this position. As there is so much adjustment on these rod holders I pushed the base plates as far forward as possible, mainly to give me a clear paddle stroke when I am trolling and paddling with the rods in the holders. Although this is an Electric kayak I will still be paddling it as times. It worked out to be 230 mm from the end of the foot well.

So it was time to mark the holes for the base plate and start drilling. Using a marking pen I made a mark and them used a smaller drill bit as a pilot hole. As always I used a hand drill to make the holes in the kayak. Reason being it is more difficult to make a mistake using a hand drill then a power drill when drilling into your pride and joy.

The bolts supplied in the kit were too long so it was into the shed to use the hacksaw to cut them to the right length.

I inserted the bolts through the holes and the hardest bit of the installation began, attaching the backing plate to the inside of the kayak. With my shoulder fully inside the front hatch and my arm fully extended I was just able to reach the spot where the bolts were coming through. As the nyloc nuts were designed to key into the backing plate to stop them from turning to be tighten. I applied some Blu tack to underneath the nuts in their position on the backing plate. This enabled me to put the plate in position and the use my free hand to tighten the bolts on the outside of the kayak.

A difficult task but once completed each mounting base was extremely solid. Once the mounting base was secured in place it was just a matter of attaching the rod holders to the base plates and it was done. To finish I will run some silicone around the outside of the mounting plate where it touches the kayak to provide a waterproof seal.

These will be great rod holders for this kayak but I am already thinking that if I had longer ram arms on the rod holders they would be even better, I might try these first and then if need I may purchase the longer arms.

The decision was made for me in the end, cleaning up the kayak yesterday after the install I sat on one of the rod holders and split it clean in half :'( They're not as Tuff as the Cannon or Scotty rod holders :'( So on the phone today to Johnny Appleseed to get another rod holder with the longer extension arm and an extra one for the other rod holder I have here. Bugger that was an expensive accident..$150 later.... :OMG

Marking the holes before drilling

Finished, getting the inside plate on was a struggle though.

Rod Holder in place, by turning the wing nut on the side of the arm the rod holder can be moved to almost any position.

Rod holders on both sides, well forward, out of the paddle stroke

Sel

Stacer Proline Angler 399 - Yami 30hp 4str
Hobie Outbacl
Hobie Revolution 11
Hobie Quest 11

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: First Addition to the Prowler Torque...Rod Holders
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
I looked at those for mine too Sel.  I was a bit surprised at the freight for a couple of rod holders though.  A tip for you, see that screw between the seat and controller?  Do not I repeat not remove it. :-[ :-[

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
I looked at those for mine too Sel.  I was a bit surprised at the freight for a couple of rod holders though.  A tip for you, see that screw between the seat and controller?  Do not I repeat not remove it. :-[ :-[

The holders are 38 each over there, in the length I initially bought plus freight..about 50 so 126 for two. I found another place last night where just the rod holder was 20 and the longer extensions were 31 a piece but freight again 50. So 150 odd.

Support a local business get it in a day and pay $150 and not have the worry of it turning up on my door during the xmas rush. I only bought 1 complete rod holder with the longer extension plus another longer extension.

Here's the link to Johhny Appleseed, http://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/ram-117swu/

This is for the shorter length arm, they quoted me on the phone today with the longer arm complete, $90

I'll steer clear of that screw, thanks for the heads up...Sounder Install is next...still deciding how to do it.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
I'll steer clear of that screw, thanks for the heads up...Sounder Install is next...still deciding how to do it.

Cheers

Funny you should mention the screw and sounder install in the same sentence.
I've got my 981 on a RAM bracket somewhere near where that screw was........

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »

I've done one on the battery hatch lid & one on the rail of the yak. Will take some pics & post for you.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
Folks

I received the longer arms in the mail today. After fitting them to the kayak this afternoon it has made the rod holders even better. Giving more height and reach to the way the rod holders can be adjusted....

Check out the photo below.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
Excellent Sel.  I use a long arm on my Humminbird and I have a couple of short arms as well.  I'll have to visit Johnny and get a couple of them and I'm sure I've got a few spare balls, so to speak.  I can fit them to the other yak and the boats.  I like the bolt through ball arrangement though.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Dale

If you visit Johhny make sure you go to the Salisbury branch which is on cnr. Evans Road and Tarragindi Road. This branch holds all the ram bits for boats and yaks...during the week too as this branch is closed on weekends.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:29:41 AM »
Doh, I was in Evans Road yesterday.......

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
A few pics of the Humminbird mount on top of the battery lid. Reason for this was to have the Humminbird in the best location for seeing / marking positions etc without interfering with leg room.

Note the wiring coming from the front hatch, this allows the battery box cover lid to be stowed away during transport out of the road. Pitfall of this method is that the wiring can hang if being put onto roof racks upside down, velcro or a zip tie works a treat for this.  :thumbsup

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to put those pics up Fitz

I think I will be going this way too. I have measured where my roof racks will cross in relation to the battery hatch cover and I will consider these measurements when positioning the bracket.

I will be internally mounting all wiring though, which is a little different to your installation here. Still thinking about the transducer install too, I just would like to have that scupper open rather than filling it with a Transducer..more thought on that but I was considering using the internal transducer mount kit that Humminbird make now as you know.

Anyway I'm in no rush and Xmas is setting in..maybe a new year project..Still searching USA forums to see how the yanks do theirs.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Mate says these are in camo now?