Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Clarendon - Video  (Read 12710 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Lake Clarendon - Video
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Lake Clarendon

A short video showing Lake Clarendon full, a rare event in its history.

Map showing location of Lake Clarendon

http://maps.google.com/?ll=-27.50614,152.368355&spn=0.079326,0.1684&t=m&z=13

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Lake Clarendon
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
Hey guys,

First time poster and in desperate need of some (a lot of) help.

I live about 15 mins away from both Lake Clarendon and Lake Dyer. I've been fishing at Dyer for the past week on 4 seperate occassions with no success whatsoever... not even a bite. I've been using both a StrikePro Galaxia Minnow lure and a StrikePro Mini Hunch lure which were both recommended by a local at a bait & tackle store. As for bait, he said worms are the best but he didn't have any (and neither did any one else it seemed) so he said that prawns are probably the second best thing he has available (though he did say they aren't exactly great), so, prawns it was....and as I said, not even a bite.

As you can probably tell, I'm certainly no angler. I used to go fishing a lot with my younger brother about 10 years ago, but that was either in the ocean or a salt water creek. We caught heaps of flatty, bream, whiting etc. but neither of us ever caught anything with a lure. The reason I tell you this is so that you'll bare with me on my general lack of expertise on the matter, especially when it comes to explaining my rig. I'm using a 197cm medium-heavy rod, with a spinner reel that I don't really know much about (except that it's Jarvis Walker and is in good condition) with 6lb braided line and about 30cm of leader line (not sure if it's fluro or standard).

Anyway, after being told not to fish off the rock bank at Dyer (I should mention I obviously don't have a boat) by the caretaker today following 4 hours of fishing without a bite, I feel a little disheartened to say the least. So, what's the go with Lake Clarendon? Is it decent to fish in without a boat, and if so, I'd really, really appreciate any tips and info or anything at all, even if you haven't been to Clarendon specifically. What am I doing wrong?  ???

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »
G'day Brett,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Lake Clarendon may have been almost given up as a stocked fishery. It suffered from virtually no water in the drought & now access is the issue.

Lake Dyer
I used to fish it a bit some years ago. Like Atkinsons Dam it get overwhelmed by jet skiers and water skiers so I don't bother any more. Noting that I used to fish it by boat, I found the fish there used to move around a lot. You'd get some in an area then none, maybe we were spooking them....

Best bait is always going to be live shrimps. My advise is to forget prawns all together and if you cant get local live shrimps, try getting some sinking lures you can cast a long way & can work across (or close to) the bottom. Soft plastics, blades, beetle spins or even slugs. Belt em out as far as you can and work em back hugging the bottom.

Maybe one of the local stocking group guys will read this and provide more specific info on restocking at the above mentioned lakes.

Cheers,

fitz.. 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
Gee that was quick  :thanks

Was hoping that wasn't the case with Clarendon, doesn't sound promising. I also can't find anything about fishing at Lake Clarendon on the internet at all, which probably speaks for itself.

Do you think it's worth the extra hour's drive to go to Wivanhoe or even Somerset instead, keeping in mind my no-boat situation? As for Dyer and sinking lures, I did have a tandem spinnerbait....for about a day. I thought those things were meant to be near impossible to get snagged? Guess I'm just clever. And shrimp hey? Will certainly be asking around for that next time, thanks. What about worms? Worth a shot too I suppose.

Thanks again for taking the time mate, really appreciate it.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 3
  • Serial lure killer. :-)
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: S.E.Qld Dams and rivers
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi Brett.You probably know more than me,being a freshwater newbie myself.I had same luck at lake dyer.lake Clarendon is fenced off last I heard.My son and I tried hamon cove @ Wivenhoe on live worms for a 45 cm wedgetail catfish and a juvenile yella.The tackle shop told us to try Lumley hill at logans inlet and a couple of the guys on here are saying cormorant bay with 5/8 oz spinners.Good luck!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
Re: Lake Clarendon - Video
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »
there is bass in there caught this 53cm in there👍

Offline Member