Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Vieja synspillum in Lake Kurwongbah  (Read 15526 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Vieja synspillum in Lake Kurwongbah
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
What i got from your post Fitz is that natives introduced into other waters are easier to controll than tropical fish, Also that its hard enough to controll what is going on now without more problems from these invaders from other lands.

There are so many angles to look at this discussion

Dale what poms think is a great sportfish is a ferral here, so maybe wires got crossed with migrating people and not understanding australian waters

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
What i got from your post Fitz is that natives introduced into other waters are easier to controll than tropical fish, Also that its hard enough to controll what is going on now without more problems from these invaders from other lands.

Intentional fish stocking of natives is now done with some methodology & is monitored. I'ts not a case of yelling YEEEHAAAHHH as we pour in whatever we like, where ever we like. Yellowbelly & Silver Perch don't apprear to be over populating in eastern rivers/lakes after decades of stocking, in fact by all appearances they would probably die out in a generation should stocking cease. That is a good thing as a day will come when we will have more suitable "local" species to put into our lakes.
Yes mistakes have been made; banded grunter have been accidentally spread south, nobody knows how but one can surmise that they may have come as "contamination" from commercial hatchery stock.
Spangled Perch? hhmmm Dunno about them being translocated. They're naturally one of Australia's most wide spread species. Probably one of our only fish that could take a fight back to cichlids, although they didn't seem to be able to handle carp too well.

The one good thing about natives is that they're not bringing in foreign diseases with them. Even unknown ones that may pop thier ugly heads up later.

The status quo is not the best case scenario (that horse has bolted...), but at least natives in our lakes (even if stocked) are a better option to having a free for all, licorice all sorts fishery that is the alternative.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Maroochy river mouth -north shore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
I have followed this discussion with interest. I have been trying to buy some synspillums to replace a recent catastrophy in my 8 ft tank . Had negative replies maybe i should get a bait net and go fishing. but the lake is a big place.rod :youbeauty