Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: North Western Fishers found flouting the rules  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
North Western Fishers found flouting the rules
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
North Western Fishers found flouting the rules
04 Sep 2013 - NSW DPI

Five members of a local fishing club have been apprehended, and a number of fish seized, after they were observed using setlines in the Namoi River at Wee Waa.
Department of Primary Industries Fisheries Compliance Director, Glenn Tritton, said fisheries officers from Tamworth and Dubbo were recently conducting patrol activities along the Namoi River, Gunidgera Weir at Wee Waa, when a number of setlines were detected.

“Fisheries officers carried out surveillance of the location and three people were observed approaching the lines in a vessel and removing the lines and fish from the water,” Mr Tritton said.

“It will be alleged that the lines were baited with live European carp and Gold fish.”

The group were under video surveillance during their fishing activities.

“A search of their camp by fisheries officers resulted in a number of seizures, including a large 123 litre esky, 76 rigged lines, 51 live European carp and Gold fish,” Mr Tritton said.

Seven Murray cod, allegedly illegally taken on the lines, were also seized. They ranged in size from 58.8cm to 93.6cm.

Five men, ranging in age from 32 years to 60 years old were apprehended.

The men have been charged with using more than two lines, possess fish illegally taken, use live fin fish as bait, leave line unattended, unlawful use of net or trap, fail to pay the Recreational Fishing Fee and possess prohibited size fish.

“The men were issued a large number of penalty notices totalling $4,000,” Mr Tritton said.

“Fishers should be warned that the use of excess lines and live fin fish as bait is prohibited in NSW, and heavy penalties apply.

“It is disappointing when you see this type of behaviour from those who should know better.

“Fisheries officers will continue to target offenders involved in illegal fishing on our inland waterways.

“We should all be aware of the fishing rules and regulations and help maintain the long term sustainability of our fisheries resources for future generations.”

Information concerning illegal fishing can be reported online or via the Fisher’s Watch Phone Line on 1800 043 536

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: SAFWAA Private Dams, Murray River
Re: North Western Fishers found flouting the rules
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
The fine was no where near high enough, and what is worse, is that they are in a fishing club. I know the fishing clubs I am in would turf me out on my ear if I broke fishing laws or club rules.
They keep letting these muppets off too lightly in my opinion.