Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: SEQ water review meeting for Baroon Pocket and Ewan Maddock  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
SEQ water review meeting for Baroon Pocket and Ewan Maddock
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
Compared to other meetings for other dams that I have attended the numbers were down but once again a diverse group with some different points of view.
4 members from the stocking group,3 members of the FFSAQ plus some local fishos certainly all had positive input about the fishing and boating/yaking aspect of the review.
Other representatives from local council and tourism bodies all had something to say and really want seq water to really open the dams up for walking,horseriding and mountain bike trails.
Strangely a rep from the horse riding group was very much against shared use trails whilst at other meetings that I have attended there was no objection to shared use.
From the fishos point of view apart from some needed signage and housekeeping issues everyone seemed happy with current set up at Baroon pocket except that a couple of people mentioned that a 6am start in winter is the only time that you can be on the water for a dawn surface bite with a 6.30 start being too late.
The council and tourism people suggested that lighting should be installed and the picnic areas be kept open till 8 or 9pm to allow more public use.
Strong opposition to petrol powered craft although 2 people from a water skiing group ( Championship salom?}did put up a strong case. ( They only need a 600 metre course and only use one boat that is silenced and only one skier at a time}
Ewan Maddock has quite a few issues that need to be resolved.
Another access point being strongly advocated especially to give people from Landsborough more access.
The loss of the original launch area was a bitter subject to one of the locals who called for a launch area that you could drive your car to rather than portage.
A bit of discussion why electric powered craft not allowed SEQ water reps appeared to be sympathetic to this when pointed out that pedal and paddle craft also disturb the cabomba weed.
Very strong opposition to any access fees.
Only 188 surveys completed to date.
The above is my recollection of the meeting and feel welcome to correct any errors etc.
The close off date for survey completion is 11/11/13 so if you have not comple4ted one please consider having some input.
I now do not complete a survey until I have been to one of the meetings and that way have a broader understanding of the needs of other groups and can input accordingly.
Links to SEQ water
www.yourseqwater.com.au
recreationreview@seqwater.com.au
 1800 505 182
Cheers
Ray

fishing ethics are the things that we do when we are unobserved by others!!