Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: New England Blitz Busts  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
New England Blitz Busts
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
New England Rural Crime Unit
Media Release.

Over the weekend of the 8,9&10th of May 2015 the New England Rural Crime Unit and NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) Fisheries Officers from Inverell conducted an operation Targeting Rural Crime and illegal fishing.

The operation saw mobile patrols of stock routes, private property and other access points around the Beardy River, Mole River, Severn River and the Dumaresq River on the Queensland/New South Wales Border. A number of boat patrols were also conducted on Pindari Dam, Macintyre River and the Dumaresq River in police and fisheries vessels. Police and DPI Fisheries Officers conducted searches of vehicles, vessels and camp sites located during the patrols under fisheries legislation.

The operation saw a number of offences detected including; possession of loaded firearms in a public place x 2, unauthorised possession of a firearm, fail to ensure safe keeping of a firearm. 2 firearms were seized by police and offenders will be placed before the courts in relation to these matters.

Further, a number of fisheries offences were detected resulting in multiple penalty and caution notices being issued to offenders for a variety of offences including; failure to pay the NSW fishing fee, leaving fishing lines unattended on inland waters, possession of prohibited size fish, taking of freshwater catfish from a western flowing stream, unlawful use of yabby traps, possession of prohibited fishing gear, use of more than 2 fishing lines per person and for the mutilation (filleting) of restricted species of fish adjacent to waters.

As a result of the offences a number of items were seized by fisheries officers including;
1 x Murray cod measuring 440mm – Legal Size between 55cm and 75 cm
1 x Freshwater catfish
1 x Set line with live carp attached as bait
1 x Yabby trap
2 x shrimp traps
15 x Set lines
2 x Drift/Float lines

Police and DPI wish to remind all persons that if you wish to engage in recreational fishing activity in NSW, you required to pay the fishing fee (NSW fishing licence) and are also required to carry your fishing licence with you whenever and wherever you go fishing. A fishing licence can be purchased at many outlets throughout NSW including; most fishing tackle shops, service stations, caravan parks, the Roads and Maritime office at Inverell or via the website at www.licence.nsw.gov.au or by calling 1300 369 365. Anglers are reminded that there are heavy penalties for breaching fisheries regulations and it is up to all anglers to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations associated with the fishing activity that they intend to engage in, before going fishing. Information is available online at: www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational and advisory material outlining the rules and regulations is available from most locations that sell the fishing licence.

New England Rural Crime Investigators and NSW DPI Fisheries Officers encourage people to make contact with police or fisheries to report suspect or illegal fishing activity if they observe it happening or suspect it to be happening.

Further Rural Crime Investigators request that people contact police should they see any rural crime taking place or have any information in relation to rural crime which may have taken place. Any information maybe a piece in the puzzle which assists to prosecute offenders for a crime.

Pictures Show Police and DPI Fisheries checking snags for set lines, a set line located by D/S/C Berry which is baited with a live carp, dead turtle wrapped up in a set line and an under size cod seized during the operation.

Contact details for NSW DPI Fisheries
District Fisheries Officer
Joe Wright
Inverell Fisheries Office
(02) 6722 1388
0419 185 532

Contact for New England Rural Crime Unit

Rural Crime Investigator
Detective Senior Constable
Gavin BERRY
Inverell Police Station
(02) 6722 0530
0439 034 587
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 103
  • Liked: 26
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: New England Blitz Busts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:38:02 AM »
Great to hear, i like the fact the fisheries will get on a yak to go and find offenders. On a recent trip i was greeted at 5:30am as i stepped out of the tent by afisheries officer. I was more then happy to let him inspect the yaks and fishing gear. After showing him my licence he smiled and thanked me for making it easy for him and wished me luck. Dedicated fella doing a great job

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Re: New England Blitz Busts
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Last time I was down at Texas the locals were talking about how busy fisheries had been this year.  :thumbsup