Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Monduran Winter Barra  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Monduran Winter Barra
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
Decided to head up to Monduran this weekend and chase some barra. Going to target the shallow bays where the water should be warmer with some boof frogs, slickrigs and some hardbodies. Taking my little tinny with a 15hp on the back to tow the kayaks to where we want to fish and help us move around the dam a bit quicker, then fish out of the kayaks as I don't have an electric on my tinny. New moon as well so was going to do a night session Sat night if the thunderstorm that is predicted isn't too bad or doesn't eventuate.

Never fished it before so I am going to start around the timber in Wiggle Bay but that's as far as I have planned. Light winds all weekend so hopefully the dam plays nice.

If anyone has any advice I'll take it on board. I know it's the wrong time of year but the cod weren't playing the other week and I just can't bring myself to fish the rusty stuff.

Mantra Kayak Pro-Staffer

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ovens River Eurobin Victoria
Re: Monduran Winter Barra
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:54:51 AM »
Don't believe there is a wrong time to go to Monduran and don't believe the Barra completely shut down during the winter months, after all they have to eat at least once a day don't they?, some chase the shallow water for warmer water temps and some chase the moon phases, generally the serious  fish chasers fish the early morning and early evening but there are other species to target like Bass, Perch,  Snub-nosed Garr and Togas, Monduran is a big place and fish live all over it, I like to fish around the White Rocks bays but  I've caught Bass 10 metres from the boat ramp, I would grab a container of worms from the camp shop and hook some up under a float while your flicking lures as well, Great Spot and I hope you have a good weekend,
Regards Bluey55.