Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bass on the surface  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
  • Liked: 7
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Bremer River
Bass on the surface
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
Australian Bass on the surface has been described as the most exciting way to catch a bass, I have not yet caught a bass on the surface but really excited to do so. On a recent trip down at Mt. Crosby I had found two surface lures floating on the surface of course! And one stuck in the tree from what I suspected as an inaccurate cast, these lures I found were a jointed jitterbug (black) and a Heddon crazy crawler, finding these lures made me think of now catching bass on the surface. What I wanted to know guys was the style of retrieve and most important what time is suited for this technique.

Thanks guys, I can't wait to feel the force of a bass surface strike !

Paddle Forever.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 59
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Freshwater
Re: Bass on the surface
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
I've only ever caught (and targetted) bass on the surface at Maroon Dam. Done with both hardbodies and fly.

I look for areas that have cover, in Maroon's case, weed pillars that come up to near the surface.

Land my lure/fly next to the weed and let it sit. I use the rings that move away from my lure as a guide. When they are gone, I give it a short pull, get a bloop (my floating hardbodies dive and come back up), let it sit until the rings dissapear again.

On an overcast day at Maroon, this technique has landed me 40+ fish in 2 hours, with the best of 12 fish for 12 casts :) Not real big suckers, but majority were legal.

So much fun, highly recommend it. If you can see them hitting things on the surface, the bloop and wait drives them nuts.

BTW the hardbodies are cheap BigW Berkley floating minnows, cost me like $4 each. I like the purple topped and the green topped. Fly I use is the gartside gurgler, designed for just this technique.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply, so you suggest a quick bloop wait for the rings to disappear then repeat the process seems pretty straight forward but I guess I won't find out until I give it a try, and also what time would you suggest morning, midday or afternoon I have been told morning always produces the most and the biggest, once again thanks for the reply  :thanks

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Surface fishing is addictive and very rewarding.

Sometimes you need a bit of noise and action, Others you need a very little action just to sit it on their nose and tease them till they cant take it anymore.

Enjoy your new addiction

Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 59
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Freshwater
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
At Maroon, my rule is, if the sun is on the water, they aren't going to eat off the surface. So upto dawn, after dusk, and anytime overcast (my preference as I don't have to get up so early hehe). Pre dawn is nice tho as there is usually little wind and you can hear them hitting the surface and helps you direct your casts bit better. Once the sun is on the water, they tend to head a bit deeper.

Other thing to consider is wind. If the surface is choppy, they aren't going to easily spot that tasty morsel of a lure, calm is good.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
You got 2 great replies above this one.

Follow that info and you will be apples  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
Make sure you get that Jitterbug working for you. For me it's the very best Bass surface lure. You will find that the best surface times for Bass are early morning and late arvo, with those heavy mid summer afternoons when insects are swarming and Cicada's are going nuts to be the very best. Of course after dark the surface action gets even better. I would suggest you mix up your retrieve styles to see what works best on the day/morning/evening. Sometimes the pauses work, sometimes just a straight steady retrieve will work. However keep you blood pressure under control because it's not unknown to get hit right beside the boat, so retieve at all times as though a Bass is hot on the tail of the lure, 'cause very often it is. Tsunami also have a little Cicada imitation that works very well and costs only about $5.
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:44:28 AM »
I love walk the dog style lures, sammys, zip'n ziggy are a couple of go to lures for me. If youre fishing in tight water like brassall, target the shadows. Give it a few walks, maybe a couple of feet of retrieve and pause it. I find unless you get the lure hard up in the snags, they wont be to interested. I have only managed 2 hits for 2 dropped fish at Brassall.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »
I love walk the dog style lures, sammys, zip'n ziggy are a couple of go to lures for me. If youre fishing in tight water like brassall, target the shadows. Give it a few walks, maybe a couple of feet of retrieve and pause it. I find unless you get the lure hard up in the snags, they wont be to interested. I have only managed 2 hits for 2 dropped fish at Brassall.

Thanks for that, I bet it got your heart racing

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Always does mate. No better way to catch fish, extremely exciting. I caught 2 on surface on the weekend, never get over it!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
During my last 2 outings, I have only used surface lures. I would much rather catch a handfull off the top than a swag full down deep. I've been fishing in the afternoons, but the action hasn't fired up until the last tiny bit of light before its completely dark.