Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Northern Rivers  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Northern Rivers
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
It's like this, I got a new 40hp Honda for my boat just before Christmas and have been champing at the bit to get it wet. Apart from the rain that's fallen on it. So yesterday arvo I bit the bullet and launched on the Richmond down in Ballina. Boating in chocolate may be fine for Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory but not for me. The main purpose of the exercise was to get a few litres of fuel through the motor, but as you do we took a few rods as well. Got a few hits on softies, but no hook ups. That's OK we didn't expect much anyway.
But the motor? well I had high expectations and they weren't in vain. How long has this been going on I wondered aloud. Quiet boating, now smoke, smooth accelleration. Honda only make 4 stroke outboards, and they do it really well I must say. Mines a tiller steer and I have to say it's the best tiller I've ever used. It was love at first start.
The chocolate water requires a bigger jighead on yer plastic to get down thru it.
Cheers,
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Northern Rivers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
It's like this, I got a new 40hp Honda for my boat just before Christmas and have been champing at the bit to get it wet. Apart from the rain that's fallen on it. So yesterday arvo I bit the bullet and launched on the Richmond down in Ballina. Boating in chocolate may be fine for Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory but not for me. The main purpose of the exercise was to get a few litres of fuel through the motor, but as you do we took a few rods as well. Got a few hits on softies, but no hook ups. That's OK we didn't expect much anyway.
But the motor? well I had high expectations and they weren't in vain. How long has this been going on I wondered aloud. Quiet boating, now smoke, smooth accelleration. Honda only make 4 stroke outboards, and they do it really well I must say. Mines a tiller steer and I have to say it's the best tiller I've ever used. It was love at first start.
The chocolate water requires a bigger jighead on yer plastic to get down thru it.
Cheers,
JD

The water down here (Bellinger) is starting to clear, the bait are working the surface, and the birds as well.

Quite happy with the 30hp Tillers steer Honda on mine a very reliable and quiet motor, just there and does a great job without a lot of fuss.

Regards

Trev

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
THanks trev,
Glad to hear things are coming back to normal down there, might have to head that way for a fish. Bloody frustrating at the moment though I'm thinking of heading over to Pindari next week to chase a Cod or two. Love those Honda's'
Cheers
John

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »
The Bellinger is not a really long river and tends to recover quickly from flooding. Depending on the flood event, usually takes 4 to 7 days to see a reasonable return for effort. The problem we have had over the last year or so is the total number of floods, which has had an effect on effort. The fish are still there, just a bit more researching to get results.

The mulloway juvenile classes have been good over the last 18 months or so and now the average is around the 40-45cm and this does bode well for the future. Our main concern is the mullett netters (Beach haulers) being allowed to net the mouth. Seems silly cutting out the river netters and then allowing them to take breeding stock out of the mouth.

Lots of good fish weighed in for the Comp over the 7-9Jan but quality was down. We fished Friday morning 4-7 for over 50Bream (1Keeper), small flathead, whiting, mulloway and a few others through in, but only the one legal fish. Just too busy with comp to fish and this will be my last on committee. It shows the system is healthy, but think that with all the floods over the period, that the recruit of fish back into system, includes a lot of juveniles.

Sorry to be long winded.

Take care and hope you catch a few.

Regards

Trev

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
No worries TRev,
I'll post something if all goes well at Pindari. Shame about the netters at the river mouth, needs to get some solid lobbying to your local member about that. Pollies always respond to problems at the ballot box. It looks like your bigger breeders have taken a hiding with all those smaller fish showing up. My opinion, for what it's worth is that rec fishers bring more into coastal economies than pro's. Nothing against the pro's they just need to be controlled more especially whereestuaries are concerned.
Cheers,
John