Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Well its off to Awoonga again.  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Well its off to Awoonga again.
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
Heading off in about six hours and hoping to catch up with Johnny Mitchell, tednted and others whilst there for a camp fire meeting or two!
Hopefully catch a decent fish as well. I will post a report if I have any worthwhile news upon my return in a week or so.

Cheers

CCFISHER :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
Re: Well its off to Awoonga again.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
Best of luck with the fishing :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Have a good one :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:07:14 AM »
Lucky bugger! Hope you get on to a few good uns!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Back From Awoonga:
"Heading off in about six hours and hoping to catch up with Johnny Mitchell, “tednted” and others whilst there for a camp fire meeting or two! Hopefully catch a decent fish as well. I will post a report if I have any worthwhile news upon my return in a week or so."
Been meaning to post, but just getting around to it now!
Trev, my son Chris & I headed off early Sat 23rd October from BrisVegas and arrived at Awoonga Gateway Lodge around 11:30am. Caught up with Lynn and Mark unpacked and headed off to the Dam for a look around/afternoon fish. We spent some time looking around at the spots that had fired well on the previous trip only to find most of those well underwater! Like the weed beds we had fished were now fourteen feet down.  Just like everyone says it’s a totally different place with all that extra water now. Having been up to the dam four years earlier (Best Barra being 102cm & 110cm), we were well kitted out with plenty of heavy duty tackle and hard bodied Lures for trolling but also put in plenty of soft plastics for casting as well.
We fished Sunday and were tied up in the tree’s and lily pads in less than a metre and a half of water only three or four metres off the bank when crunch a huge metre plus Barra came screaming in from under the lily pads on the left, the bank side in less than a metre of water took my lure from just below the surface then dived and headed for a stand of trees and deep water. Worried about the trees I tightened my drag and “PING” the braid broke like cotton with a couple of pumps of that big paddle tail. It was awesome to watch the Barra take the lure right there about three metres off the back of the boat on the surface, I won’t forget that image for a long time.
Fished Monday for a doughnut. Time to change our plan of attack!
After checking our local knowledge sources we found out that one of the current weapons of choice was a modified Slick Rig with a treble attached underneath.  So we spent a bit of time around camp madly modifying Slick Rigs whilst partaking in the custom of, a cleansing ale or two. Whilst chatting to Mark he invited us along for a night fish (Casting) on Tuesday evening. Well after arriving at spot “X” just on dark, it was not too long before my son Chris hooked and landed his first Barra (86cm) for this trip. Straight away the expert comments started, on how he had modified his lure (Slick Rig), how he had cast it to just the right spot and wound it in using just the right action. Oh please pass me another beer! I should of course mention at this point that on the last trip my PB was the 102 and Chris’s was the 110.
Wednesday we tried new ground (casting and/or trolling day and night) again for yet another doughnut.
Thursday sunk some pots for Red claw and fished on as above and you guessed it “Eddie the expert” (Chris) comes up with a 97cm Barra. Here we go again, where was that Esky?
After chatting to “tednted” and advising him we were heading into Gladstone in the morning he suggested we try to look up Kurt and get a look through the hatchery.  Friday came and off we went and after pawing through “The Complete Angler” & “Tackle World” and leaving with more tackle from both outlets we headed over to the hatchery and met Matt who was only too happy to show us through the complex. It was great!
Back to the dam, Trev and I are still zip & zip at this stage. So desperate for any fish now I chose to troll for a while and finished with a grand total of two.  Two catfish “wow”.
But look out Chris is bringing in another Barra, Only (109cm) this time.
I’m gunna buy a bigger Esky for the next trip! And might leave my son behind HA HA!!
Oh well that’s fishing.
Cheers
CCFISHER

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Nice report CC. As you know the only thing better than you catching one is to see your son doing it :thumbsup

(though it would be nice to have at least got on the board, hope you have better luck next time :))