Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: I'm clueless.  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
I'm clueless.
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie fisherman and I really need some pointers on tackle and technique.  So far I'm zero from about half a dozen freshwater expeditions.  :-[ I spent this arvo at South Pine River around the Bunya Riverside sort of area.  I've also spent some time at North Pine, Kurwongbah and Wivenhoe.  I'm land-based only at the moment.  So, any general pointers on which lures, what locations (I'm on Brisbane's northside) and anything else that might get me on the scoreboard?

Cheers

Brendan

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: I'm clueless.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:23 AM »
Try here. Has gone off a bit, but still good fish to be had. A lot of bass end up in here after the dam overflows. Live shrimp best, lures will work, but not as well. Entry is through the main gate of the market, just follow the road around until you get to the river, park near the bollards and walk in. If your using lures just start tossing them as soon as you get to the weir. Last image shows how to get through the markets, dont bother on sundays!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:27 AM »
Brendan,

Binder is spot on there!  Spinnerbaits and Hardbodies are the go to lures there at the moment!  I caught a reasonable bass beside that weir a week or so ago (released of course).  The water being released from the dam has seen the river dirty up a little of late so it may just be a case of 1000 casts for 1 fish, but they are there.  If you have any dramas finding the spot shoot me a message I would be happy to meet you there and go for a flick! 
Good Luck!

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
Thanks very much for the replies.  :thumbsup Hopefully I'll be able to give Binder's spot a crack on Wednesday mid morning.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to concentrate on using hard body lures.  So let's say I find a nice, promising looking spot and start casting a spinnerbait.  How long should I persevere with it if I'm not getting results?  Should I switch colours?  Change to a vibe or diving lure?  Maybe try a popper?  Or is better to move on and try a different spot?  :-\

Also, I'm wondering if I'm on a hiding to nothing being land-based.  I'm not sure I could get purchasing approval for a kayak past the boss at the moment.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
Awesome reply Binder  :youbeauty

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:51:52 PM »
Nothing on being land based mate

here are a few bass that were a walk in at Wivenhoe. Yep a half a dozen over 50.

Keep flogging an area 2 mate. Sometimes you need to piss them off for them to react.

A spinner bait is a useful searching tool. You can cover all aspects of the water column with it. Start by casting out and count to one before you start your retrieve, no response then cast and count to two and start your retrieve, no response cast out and count to 3 and start your cast. Sooner or later you are on the bottom. If your spinner is covering a lot of distance as you retrieve it works its way back to you through to the surface, so crank the handle 5 turns, stop for 1 or 2 seconds and crank for another 5 and repeat.

The thing is to understand when and how you got that strike. No repeat it. Also sometimes they want a slow roll and sometimes they want a fast burn.

Keep trying little things and know what you are doing. Time on the water with a lure in the water will catch you a fish. A lure out of the water wont.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events