Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fishing licence equals pro buy out  (Read 22396 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 5
  • So Many Fish - So Little Time !
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Florida Keys USA
Re: Fishing licence equals pro buy out
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 08:04:01 AM »
Qoute & Reply *

Imagine possibilities like this-

No pro fisherman-  no fishery officers to protect rivers- (possible job extinction).

* Why would there be no fisheries officers - I don't believe we're asking for ALL commercial fishing to be removed - are you suggesting the commercial sector fund the fisheries dept ?

No pro fisherman- no experienced persons on the water 24/7 keeping tabs on anything fishy.

* Are you suggesting the rec sector / charter industries etc don't contribute to fisheries experience & management ?

No pro fisherman- no quick reporting to customs of wrong doing- especially in remote coastal areas.

* Again - Rec angler consistently report wrongdoing's - often by commercial fishers ...................... Plenty of rec anglers on the water every day ?

No pro fisherman - no prawns for the table or for your hook.

Again - plenty of prawns coming in from the GULF & aquaculture - I don't believe there is any suggestion to remove all teh commercial effort ?

No pro fisherman- less studies on fisheries and management.

* What about the important rec species that are not currently receiving funding  for research - if it's not on the commercial list they currently get nothing ?

No pro fisherman - a weaker voice for rec fisherman when major waters want to be closed to fishing.

*You have gotta  be kidding - it's just QF don't listen - there's been plenty of feed back over the rec sector through a range of rec angler groups ( Sunfish, Eco Fisheries, QFLP, ANSA , QGFA , QAFA etc ) the last few years I have been in the state - doe's QF listen though ......................

No pro fisherman- a demand for yummy fresh fish- rec anglers netting rivers because there is $ to be made, no fisheries exist, no one beside them will complain as they have a net too. ( possible)
* Again - I do not believe we're looking to remove all the commercial effort - just the ones from key rec area's - estuaries - havens ....................

No pro fisherman- as above- a black market will thrive. There are thousands of anglers who already sell fish illegally, imagine the freedom available if the above possibilities are true.

* Again - if that was the case - QF would not be doing their job  ...........................

* I've heard it all before - Scotto

I'm not looking for negatives- they just hit you in the face.

Cane toads- lets do that- that'll fix the little beetle problem- Oops!

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Scotto, tit for tat. Like I've said, there's no easy resolve.
We've all heard both sides of the story before. NO SIMPLE FIX EXISTS. Funding lacks in fisheries as it is- patrol boats tied up for extended periods- laying idle. Could reducing inshore, estuary commercial effort be the straw that broke the camels back? Fisheries activities being reduced further? A lot of things aren't rock solid in the industry- a domino affect could be imminent. I could jump on your side of the story and support it fully, but it'd be wrong to support something that isn't a simple circumstance, without in depth ramifications. It may seem rosey to remove effort from an estuary, coastal fringe or wherever, but who's to say extra impact won't come to those areas through rec angling- the side affect on species x, unknown. Take the Boyne River for example- what's just happend down there? 1000's of hungry metre fish dumped into a small system. Was that intended imbalance planned, I'd guess not, but it was a known probability. Breeding, and juvenile fish (the beloved permit included)- you can kiss there arses good bye this season, but hey, hang on, think of the fun fishing to be had by rec anglers- but we need to think past that to greater issues. Where do we start? Dams on hundreds of rivers country wide- reclaimation coastal wide. Environment degredation left, right and centre. Without, creeks, rivers, flats, sea grasses and the like, we'd have no fishing at all.
This chat can go on forever. Innevitably I believe commercial fishing will be reduced in estuary systems in Qld in the coming years, but not with a straight cull, and not without hidden issues that arise along the way. I'm not anti-rec angling at all, nor fully backing commercial issues, but I am airing laundry so a larger picture is seen and hopefully absorbed. Enjoy your farmed prawns this Christmas, thousands will be buying wild product, taken direct from the estuaries, and coastal waters, Australia wide, probably from the waters within a few miles of homes. No-one will batter an eye-lid whilst consuming the prawn. I'll be eating local product. You? Scallops even?
Johnny

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
Isn't most of our prawns from coastal trawl?  If so why would the buyout of commercial estuary netters cause us to be forced to eat farmed prawns?  Sounds like a bit of creative journalism to me!

Steve

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
Steve,
Beam trawling occurs in estuaries, harbours and just outside the shore break in some areas- prawns being taken from all areas, where legal.  The only thing creative here, is how they drive their vessels. Commercial netters also trawl, crab and engage in other fisheries within the estuary and adjacent coastal fringe, but only if  they have the endorsements to do such. Many licences carry several endorsements, but when one fishery is closed, viability may crumble, and fisherman themselves may be forced to withdraw, or restructure effort in other fisheries or areas, increasing effort and possibly impact elsewhere.
The whole topic is sour, it'll cause angst until the cows come home. Human nature sees to that.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
Funnily - our best tasting prawn (IMO) is the Crystal bay prawn ....... and its a farmed prawn.

Netting is too indiscriminate for me ...... too much by catch

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
Johnny

Thanks for the reply, but my understanding is that a varst amount of our wild catch prawn is offshore under a T1 endorsement or TS.  For the guys further south, the M1 or M2 licences come into play. I forget the % but it is by far the majority of the wild catch prawn we enjoy, so the lost of some beam trawl prawns would not force everyone to chew farmed prawns.  This is my point and reason for my post. 

I agree with the rest of what you say about estuary commercial fisherman having a multiple catch (endorsement) business and that by losing one aspect of their business puts their whole business at risk.  I deal with a lot of commercial fisherman (trawl, line, crab, long line, beam, beach haul, etc) every year for work and do not want to see them forced out of business without adequate compensation.  I also don't see a rec licence funded buyout scheme being targeted against all commercial fisherman in all areas.  If a buyout does occur, it needs to be done better than more recent SAP schemes and needs to be setup to avoid effort creep and as you said, affect other areas/businesses.

All the best

Steve

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
Steve,
Yes, you are right, I understand that, trawl fisheries are not just creek bound, and the total catch comes from all stages of prawn (eg. banana) development and prawn migration, targeted for bait and table food in Australia. The domino affect could have that farmed prawn on the table if the ball gets rolling. Starting with estuaries, what commercial fishery (in or off shore) would be taken away next and who's creek system might become a no take zone, and what closures would come after that initial stepping stone is in place? I suppose the context of this topic could go down any line, based on a host of possibilities and probabilities.
I don't have the answer, as mentioned, and neither does anyone here. We all have opinions and visions, but we don't have a crystal ball or simulator to see what happens in every situation. We all test the waters, only to find a hurdle in place. Like I discussed with Harro the other day in a personal chat, it's one hell of a job trying to manage fisheries in Australian waters to create balance, fairness and a future. Problems being we need to eat, and humans like to have fun. That is the drama at hand. It shouldn't get personal in any town or river, but it does, emotions running high over a resource and a trillion hungry mouths. Industry in our town will naturally push commercial fishers away from the harbour- development and reclaimation of foreshore, habitat destruction and no go zones will see to that. A natural death, along with important environments and fish homes. Just watch the development of Gladstone harbour in the next two years. We once had...........
Cheers.
Johnny
I'm out of breathe- and we won't resolve it. Two stories- Two tough ones.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
I don't quite get where all this doom and gloom is coming from. Here in NSW we've seen great success in fish stock regeneration after buying out pro's from estuarine waters. No one appears to have been wronged and most of the pro's involved were happy to take the buyout. Some went on to other things, some bought up latent licences in other areas. I'm not a fan of the latter happening but still it's something that can be rectified the second time round.

No one is suggesting the whole pro effort be bought out, just the unsustainable ones. The buyout is to be seen like a redundancy ( and this bit is for you Fitzy), if you were told your work isn't needed anymore you'd be wanting a payout right? And considering we the rec fisho are the ones championing the removal of pro's from rivers etc we should be the ones footing the bill, right? I agree that dead wood should be jettisoned but when the powers that be are too useless to do it themselves then a little initiative doesn't go too far astray. As for future use of funding there's plenty it can be put to, restocking, habitat regeneration, research, repairs/upgrades to facilities (we see lots of this in NSW), and dare I say it a concerted effort to fix the runoff problems we face, just to name a few.

There really is far too many unsustainable practices going on out there at the moment and they need to be recitfied. Take the Hunter river prawn for example. If they bothered to let the poor things get out to Stockton Bight instead of punishing them in the river the pro's would be getting a better class of prawn and the species would have a chance. Doesn't take much brain power but it appears the pen pushers put it into the too hard basket. I'm sure the same thing is happening in QLD and it needs to be fixed. If rec angler dollars are needed to help then so be it, better for all in the long run. Johnny, if it turned out that our buying out of dead wood, leaving the better operators a bigger share of the pie, turned profitable to those left, would this be a bad thing?

I can't help but think there's still some heads in the sand on this one. I was opposed to a licence in the first instance in NSW but after the results I've seen over the last 10-15 years I'm more than happy to shell out $30 a year, christ I'd fork out $100 a year if it weren't for Marine Parks and fisheries gaining money's from the trust to lock us out of Fish Rock because of a ring around 10 years ago, but that's another gripe for another day.

So far licences work. Fitz I get what you're saying about the SIP side of things but that can be continued under the all encompassing licence, it's not that hard to do. As for the rest, the evidence is there at the moment, can't see why you wouldn't.

All this said I was told today that there's a push to let pro's back in to Rec fishing havens because they've become so productive. If they Gov't allows this heads will literally roll!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 04:56:45 AM »
I have said this many times on another forum and I will sau it again.
1. How about DERM fix the quality of the waterways first then let's see what happens to the fish stocks.
2. NSW has more population and less coatline than Qld therefore any license fees up here will be stretched a lot further.
3. Qld Govt cannot even manage the funding of the boat ramps correctly..and they get the PPV for that.
4. Qld has a huge tourism industry which is already struggling..we going to slug visitors another fee to have a fish. We visited Yamba last year..had to buy a license just to fish for a weekend. I won't be going back there for that reason alone..so the accomodation houses and restaurants dip out also.
5. If a license is introduced, who will constitute the controlling board? Will they be appointed by the Minister or elected vis the AEC by all license holders?
6.Will Central and North Qld get fair representation and monies spent equally in those areas. They already get the short end of the stick behind SEQ.
7. Will funds be taken form license fees to fund scientific research which should already by funded by Fisheries?
8. There are many people struggling now to make ends meet with rego water and electricity prices on the increase. Who do we think we are to stop some poor bugger taking his kids for a fish from the shorline somewhere. Probably one of the few outdoor activities they can afford.

Based on this and a few other reasons: NO way to a rec fishing license in Qld.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
I think Stephan has nailed it pretty well. The other waterway getting flogged is the Clarence. On any day you can see the the little prawn trawlers going up and down the river. The by catch is very real and most of these blokes would rather fish offshore but can't afford the gear to do it. A fishing licence is pretty small beer compared to what we have invested in fishing gear and boats. I really love it whan some bloke pulls into a caravan park along the NSW North Coast in a $70,000 caravan being pulled by an $80,000 Landcruiser then bitches about the cost of a license. All that aside, even us baggy arse fisho's who camp under canvas seldom grizzle about the cost of a license. The positive results of it are all around us. Once again, the tourism benefits of rec fishing are enormous as are the benefits to the locals, Pro's included. I just think that nobody trusts the Queensland Government. Too many Sir Humphries and not enough real workers.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »
There will have to be some balance in this fellas.   I catch and release, when my wife wants fish for the table she goes shopping.   Has a variety to choose from too.  The last thing I want to see is only imported fish on the shelves.  I won't eat the imported cr@p.  If that becomes the case then our leaders will start looking at the stocks in the dams and allow professionals in.   Regards Gordon

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
True Gordon. or on the other hand the Sir Humphries will simply look at the dams and say "let them fish there and we'll close off all the rest." Don't think it can't happen.
JD