Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Hey Harro! Dirty water question....  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Burrinkuck Dam
Hey Harro! Dirty water question....
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
Many a year back - likely decades when you'd a tinny with a white motor on it - you made some observations in Fisho on dirty water and native luring. Specifically greenfish. If I recall correctly the rule of thumb was if you can see your fingers with your arm in up to the elbow lures are a still a good proposition. I'd roughtly translated that to being able to see the prop with the donk in the water.

Heading to the 'Juck on the 17th for a week and so the question's of some moment given that it went over the spillway - again - over the weekend. From recollection the sugestion used to be metallic golds and silvers based on catching the available light or plain ugly black / purples given it's already murky.

The staff at the 'Juck tell me that the water resembles a strong tea rather than a hot chocolate so there may be a glimmer of hope for lures yet (pardon the pun). Any suggestions more than welcome...

Just on Poddymullet's Burrendong thread and Dale's response, one wonders at all the work on dam wall raising at the 'Juck if the authorities continue to bring it down below 100% each time it reaches the spillway gates. I know there's a predicted 50-100ml over the catchment and flooded areas come Wed/Thurs but why raise the wall for one in 150 year flood events if you don't use it when it occurs?

Perhaps I've got it ars*-up.

The Drunks Over Eucumbene (est 1986)

You don't if I cast some?

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 19
  • View Gallery
Re: Hey Harro! Dirty water question....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
Gday mate,

I thought all the rain dances were happening up here.
We've yet to have a 30C day...maybe yesterda...and certainly no succession of fine and stable days since the start of winter.
I don't think much has changed re flashy lures (and darks) that produce a substantial silhouette and sonic signature.
I'd check which is running cleaner...probably the Goodradigbee...less rural activity in the catchment.
In the big picture there may be some eddy where the Murrumbidgee joins the man basin. A colour change is a clue. I'd check on that from the lookout overlooking Carrol's Creek.
The Bluff and points at MacPherson's Creek would be worth checking if the colour is anywhere marginal. The water movement that goes with the lake full to the brim and discharging may draw the ambush feeders.
Good luck, look forward to a report.
Best for chrissy etc.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
Thanks mate. I f I get a day sans monsoon I may take the missus and the kids up the Goodradigbee to Wee Jasper and have a beer. The fourteen year old son can troll back.... Last time we did that was in the early nineties with Lancelot and the Rear Admiral.

If it all looks like a Vittoria with a touch of milk there's always the "towable'. I swore this'd never be a "ski" boat.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »
G'Day Bert,

I flew over Burrinjuck yesterday, it looks a nice chocolate brown color. Water looked to be thundering down the river below. Will try to zoom in on the pictures I took for a closer look.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »
Yo Fitzy...

Tell me it ain't so!! Just tell me it ain't so!

Mebbe ahhm gonna have to find me one o' them thar new fangled spinny-me-bait contraptions!

Then again, perhaps up behind Wade I'll chuck a few into that nice waterfall that develops when Huey's been sending it down. MacPherson's, as Harro says, might provide a "tide line"...

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Everywhere
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »
Bert

I may be of some help to you as i fished the Juck over the w/end  around the Wee jasper area .

We arrived at  the lake on Thursday morning , on the way in  listening to the radio , it was reported to  already be 103.5 %  , i was a little concerned about water color as well . water color was ok , That night the rain came in ,
By next morning some 5 inches had fallen , the lake had risen another 3.5 ft , 175,000 megs was  going over the spillway , water color was patchy , needed to look around  to find some clearer areas , some ok while others were simply unfishable .
By Sunday morning the water was filthy including the Goodridgbee arm , be aware there is  heaps and heaps of floating timber as the water level had came down 4 to 5 ft ,  was hard to believe that the odd waterskier were testing their luck .
as for the fishing , we did manage a few Greenfish with the best being 75cms ,  on shallower running lures in the 6 to 10 ft range  , no joy on any deeper run stuff .
Best thing was the lack of pesky Redfin making a pain of themselfes , never captured a one , there are plenty of small one's  floating about , i guess EHN has sorted them out .Plenty of  Carp are hitting lures as well .
Was also good to see Fisheries getting about checking up on anglers
if your going up the arm for a few beers , i suggest you take your own as the tavern and the shop have been closed for some time .
hopefully by the time your trip comes about condition will be much better , but we are forecast for a lot more rain over the coming weeks 

Regards 

Pete 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
Thanks Pete.

That doesn't bode well for the fishing or the kids in the towable. The precipitation forecast is modelling 50-100 ml by the weekend and so the cappucino machine will be busy putting a "head" on the lake I suppose. I'd take myself to Wyangala bar the fact it's been a puddle for too long to have a serious head fish.

Kids are going to get techy if there's no fish and too many speed humps floating about. Perhaps a BBQ up the lake if there's anything not so thoroughly sodden that it might burn. Sure I'll find somewhere where I can tow Josh and Caitlin about without occasioning unplanned, ad-hoc anal surgery.

As long as matters dry out after this event or - better for all involved including younger brother in Wagga Wagga - this rain event is not as severe as the modelling suggests. This close, though, it isn't often wrong. Matters seem to be getting nearer to normal as long as that high in the west develops into the Bight as modelled: sou'westers Friday into the weekend are just what the doctor ordered. More likely that monsoon trough will reform down through NSW. I realise continental drift has us moving towards India but surely not this fast!!

I might, perhaps, have to drown some grubs or worms and hope the carp don't get to them first. What chance a surface lure on evening? Then again I'd really want to do that over the Cathederal Rock flats and those speed humps might have a say in getting back to cottage 18...

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »
Bert

By the sounds of things you know the area well .

some stunning rock formations around that area , the major show piece  Cathederal Rock , is gone , well under .
you might remember the  shipping container half way up the hill on the island ???? that was in the water on Friday , i took a pic of it , looks a gem .
As for carp you will get plenty  , a few of the lads had a carp off , lots of berley in the way of chook pellets and a few cans of corn had them hauling them in thick and fast , by the sessions end it looked like a major fish kill .
 surface lures will be well worth the effort in time

Regards

Pete

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
Yep: been trundling there since hire boat days in the early eighties.

The Royal Wolf's in the water?! It can be difficult to pick the 100% contour it's been that bloody long. Last I recall was the handball court going under back in the early nineties. I imagine that's had a few baths over the last 6 weeks or so. Wonder if fisheries will ever consider re-establishing the rainbow trout Polaris missile fishery that used make the colder months most worthwhile?

Might pay to postpone until after Christmas though there would be no accommodation and I've no real wish to put the family tent up: done my time camping in a Burrinjuck January!

I figured the Rock would be gone and, depending on how far above spillway level we are, the pines on Cave Island will have their lower branches swimming.

Might have to rethink matters a little.

Notice in all this Noah-like flooding Eucumbene continues to drop. Must be in need of a serious incontinence pad....

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
Bert

The 80s  , the wonder years i call them , sadly so much has changed since them , those Rainbows at the Juck were always well worth the effort , some very nice Salmon too , it's been a long while since some have been stocked , would be nice for a few 1000 to be included again .
I did hear of a few trout being caught  in the wee Jasper arm a few weeks  back , i guess they were fish moving from the river .

As for Eucumbene ,I know the locals are not very pleased , why they still continue to drop around 9,000 megs a day into Blowering is beyond me ,it's full so a fair bit of it is  going straight over the spillway , there is no need for any irrigation release at all , as if they want any at this stage with crops underwater , one chap on the radio commented that he had fish swimming about in his grape vines .

see if this pic of the container comes out

Regards

Pete

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
couple more pics

Note the land slips

Regards

Pete

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »
That's a beauty the old Royal Wolf.

Love all that greenery into the water: sure looks good filled up. I just hope some settling ocurrs before I make it there.

Wouldn't mind betting the water is being sold under pre-existing arrangements. Money doesn't always come with a common sense clause...

Do you remember the bloke that was going to turn Wade into some bloody "resort"?? He's got the water now just not the bridge.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »
Bert

Yes i do have some memory of the wade island resort  , got knocked on the head in a big way  , was about the same time as the one proposed at Eucumbene  ,  Muzzlewood  .

Don't think any water is being sold atm , i think they have a job in giving it away ,  losing lots of money every day from these rain events / floods
The rain is on it's way as we speak , predicted 50 to 100 mm just as you said , there is also a chance that it may top at 150mm is some areas , they let a heap out of the Juck through the valve today to make some room , down to 96.6 now .

Regards

Pete

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »
Indeed: over 30,000 meg! As if there isn't enough barrelling down the 'Bidgee.

Yeah, that was about the same time as Muzzlewood. That was the Nip plan for Frying Pan as I recall.

Nothing for it but to go. Only problem is the accommodation: gotta change cottages mid stay. Given they're 16 and 18 that's no great problem: across the road. Always liked 18 at the top of the old hire boat ramp. I imagine I could leave the trailer in the water chained to a convenient tree and run the boat onto it each night!

So long as a sou'wester doesn't blow the hell out of the lake that is....

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
Bert

i think your game leaving your boat and trailor chained to anything except the back of the car where at least you have some observation , if you do leave it where you cannot see it , you want to remove all the gear out , far too many thieves getting about these days .

Regards

Pete