Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Need Help! Reel Repair  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Need Help! Reel Repair
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
I was beginning to pull my creek basher apart to oil some parts. I hadn't even had it apart when I now realised that I cannot even re-engage the spool. It is a low profile baitcaster, Pflueger Echelon that I use for bashing around in the bush, skinny water fishing. I have downloaded the schemetics on the reel but I'm still having troubles even getting it apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave 

Offline Member

• Bunjey
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Maroon Moogerah Hinze or wherever I am floating
Re: Need Help! Reel Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
Gidday Bracey,
                      I'm afraid I am not familiar with those, but I used to fiddle with reels for a bit of pocket money years ago, could I suggest taking the line off it, then spray/soak the reel with WD4o, or RP7? leave it a day or two, or even weeks? Gently check the screws or whatever is giving the trouble now and then. those penetrating oils seem able to dissolve that mongrel white stuff that welds things together, I've had to do it heaps of times to reels brought to me. It seems to be quite common between brass, aluminium and the alloys in reels. It takes a while to work its way down the threads, if at all ,is the trickiest bit. Keep soaking and keep GENTLY encouraging. Watch out for bits like some handle knobs that can't hack the solvents tho!
                       Just a suggestion, hope it helps somehow.

Good luck,

Bunjey

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this threadfor a bit Bracey but along the same lines; What do you put grease on and what do you put oil on when servicing reels?  I'm not very mechanically minded and only just passed Shop A and Shop B at school   :P

Hop this goes along with the theme of this thread.

Cheers  Geoff 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »
All sorted fellas a bit of grit was preventing me to fully twist off the left side cover plate in which I needed to get to one screw behind the spool. Finally pulled it apart and with a grease and oil change, she's running as good as new again.
Hope you don't mind me hijacking this threadfor a bit Bracey but along the same lines; What do you put grease on and what do you put oil on when servicing reels?  I'm not very mechanically minded and only just passed Shop A and Shop B at school   :P

Hop this goes along with the theme of this thread.

Cheers  Geoff 

Geoff no one has really shown me how to service reels so I'm a bit self taught. I tend to put grease on all the metallic gearing and find yourself a good oil to lube other parts such as bearings and shafts, points where the bail arms move etc. (Park)Shaun has given me some oil to try called TG's Rocket Fuel Tournament Formula which is proving to be a better oil than I was previously using. A lot more less viscous.

For Schematics of reels I go to http://www.mikesreelrepair.com in case I have troubles in finding what goes where when pulling them apart as sometimes parts can be spring loaded when taking off coverplates.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
Dave, old reel service saying
Oil for bits you load, grease for bits the fish loads. Worked for me to date!

Offline Member

• Bunjey
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Maroon Moogerah Hinze or wherever I am floating
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
  A million years ago an article in freshwater fishing i think it was, recommended a good "silicone grease" worked in most drag systems, and still good enough for gears, pivots and stuff, and didnt affect the line or finish, or create extra drag, although in some high quality reels, you have to use oil, not grease in tightly machined areas ie- the rotor bearing, the spool shaft where it travels to and fro while in a rotating bail rotor bearing, and the winding shaft on some baitcasters.
   Also oil not grease on baitcaster archemeides worm style line guides  that are still in gear as you cast. Too much drag otherwise, and upsets the anti over-run system. grease the rest if it doesn't create drag.
   A bit of "INOX" around the interior, without diluting the grease , helps stop aluminium sideplates from corroding at edges and stuff, and easy to clean next service.
   Be careful of anti-reverse mechanisms that use friction, try oil or grease, grease if it is wearing out, they wear out eventually anyway. Sometimes grease stops delicate parts from pivoting tho, only grease the friction surfaces.
   Article recommended good light machine oil blended with Nulon or similar at 10(oil):1(teflon), for bait-caster bearings, i have found it helps em cast better, and i use it in line rollers n stuff too, it doesn't seem to give up as easy.
    Only barest wipe with oily rag in centrifugal friction style baitcaster casting over-run brake-drum thingies, NEVER grease.
   Could i suggest a nifty thing is the lube pen(has a fine metal needle thing) of Diawa's? It sits on my shelf and great for a fraction of a drop on all external bits of my reels as i put them away every trip, without making an oily mess of the reel.
   I use cheapo "Seahorse" brand silicon lube because I'm a tighta##e, some others better, some worse (go thin on a hot day, or don't seem as"shear stable")

Experiment and do what works for you, it's hard to get some information, thats why this forum so good.

I wear out reels winding in lures, not fish.:)

good luck

Bunjey/(Tony)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery