Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Dads Lure Collections - Blasts from the past  (Read 10513 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
Dads Lure Collections - Blasts from the past
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:56 PM »
Dad turns 70 this year and I noticed during our New Year family visit how he's started making references in regards to rifles and tackle bout  ' it'd be yours one day anyway..."   
See how fishing mad my seven year old Jules has become dad suggested we ought to review some of his tackle collections since he had recently sorted through em and figured we might be interested in seeing some of what he has. 
We have a family history of son's reviewing dads and now pops tackle collections and souveniring a few selected specimens with sticky fingers in the process, something Jules my son has also adopted when telling how much certain elements of my tackle collection hasn't been used and how he ought to liberate em to give a swim and so forth..
Going through dads gear is like an arcelogical dig into the history of lure manufacturing and availability in Australia.  Dad has never been one to buy only one of something, living overseas or remote in the past and also providing fishing gear to clients in orevious lives as a fishing guide he usually purchases by the half dozen if not the whole carton!  Gear he has goes back to the original Abu killers, bell brooks, aeroplane spinners, early rebel, bill norman had made elliots, boxes of unopened vibrotails, mister twisters etc..(see attached) - he also had some real cool gear such as teh Abu Snooky's of the 70s whiuch are amazingly similar to todays crop of vibe lures, also floppies and soft rubber bodied Abu plugs and Abu crawdads , Plus, plus - fair to say both son and grandson employed sticky fingers to reliueve the ol man of some of his coillectoion that was obviously in dire need of a swim !! ;)

Stick to fishing instead of fighting - JC

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
Re: Dads Lure Collections - Blasts from the past
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
Couple more pics

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »
Awesome stuff Jim, Your young fella is well on his way to being a tackle rat.  :thumbsup

Brad

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
sounds like a great family you have and im sure a few of those lures have some stories of origon where they origionated  :)

Thanks for sharing you can nearly see the joy in the yound fullas face

Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Anywhere a thong can float
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
Top stuff Jim! Pictures really highlight how tackle trends and there cycles repeat themselves through time hey.

sam

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
Hey Jim, that's a real treasure trove you've got there. If you ever want to get some appraised as far as collector value is concerned get in touch with Frank Prokop, he's the president of the Kadaitcha Club, and they collect rare and collectable lures in particular.
Cheers mate,
JD

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing another snippet in the life of Jim :)  Jules is a truly fortunate young man to have a father and grandfather like he has.

Nice post Jim.

Randall.

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
'Nice family story'. Handed down treasures are valuable. Old boxes and packets with price tags still attached are always cool. There's a bit of history there about lure designs too. Your father is part of the generation where some of those lures were the chosen go to model in the day- older men from our local district have shared some of the same types with me. I was fortunate to receive some as gifts from these anglers as well as from my great uncle who was fishing 20-60 years ago. Old farm sheds on rural properties often hold a few dust covered gems in the rafters or on the post nails.
Priceless, and you have photos for your son's son.
Cheers.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, Randall I like the sharing that goes on, on this site too!
Yeah JD I know Frank through work circles and read his tackle rat section in Freshwater Fishing - I might have to quiz him on what elements of dad's collection have real value befor me or the young fella break em out of  their packet to give em a swim ;D
I thought the Abu Crawdad would of been a good addition to the article he did on craw dad style lures a while back.
Talking bout ol farm sheds Johnny, dad and I found an old abandoned shack on the bank of a barra lagoon in the lower Burdekin on a friends cane farm which contained a collection of 'minnows' (as they were called in their day) carved out of cow horn dating back to the late 1800's early 1900's - funny thing was the profile was almost identical to a nilsmaster invincible - thing bout patterns co-evolving and going round and round!

Regards - Jim

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Jim, just a quick snippet for you on the Abu soft rubber lures. They were actually made by Burke in the USA under a marketing agreement with Garcia. Garcia was the owner of ABU at the time and marketed the Cello and Dipp in Europe under the ABU brand, and it looks like some slipped into Australia in the 60's as well, either by way of Europe or direct from the US to the local Aussie agent at the time (R Wallace Mitchell Ltd of Nth Melb).
The Cello DIPP is the bibbed one and is basically a Burke BIG DIG with a bent bib. The Popper is the Burke 2013 Ol' Twitch. The ABU CELLO was first introduced in 1967 and later the diving CELLO DIPP version came in 1969.

The red craw is called the Raaken. I managed to grab 2 at auction and sent one to Frank as he was chasing one. The lure first appeared in 1966 Tight Lines catalog and yet had disappeared by 1970.

Brad (Co-Vice President Kadaitcha Club)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
Thanks for that info Brad,

one thing I didn't mention is that a lot of our tackle was purchased in Papua New Guinea (see K for Kina on some o fthe price tags) and its a funny twist but PNG often tended to have a greater diversity of lures availble there than back in Australia during the late 60s and 70s (maybe did direct import from Europe?), something we noted when we came back to Australia for dad's annual leave - some types like the Snookys we never saw available in Australia (& maybe the rubber plugs too) which is a shame cause they were great lures - the big bibbed deep diving version of the Snooky was my mum's favourite barra lure and I saw her score a heap of winter barra with them fishing deep around granite boulder islands in the confluence of the Bowen and Burdekin Rivers (Blue ValleY) back in the day when the Burdekin still flowed clean (befor ethe Burdekin Falls dam) - Regards Jim