Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Barra and Estuary Fishing - Gladstone  (Read 16841 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Calliope River
Barra and Estuary Fishing - Gladstone
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
Hi All

I've just started getting into Barra fishing and have been reading a number of articles and a book by Johnny Mitchell on barra fishing.

The more I read and the more people I talk to the more questions I have. I am also looking at doing one of Johnny Mitchells Awoonga charters.

I  am also looking at fishing the many estuaries Gladstone has to offer.

I have  4.2m tinny with a 30hp 2 stroke, should I be looking at getting an eletric outboard for it for trolling??

I am going to buy a new sounder, what would be better and best suited out of  a Lowrance HDS or the elite DSI?

I have some low end Abu Garcia bait casters and was thinking of also getting a spin combo, I was thinking of a stradic 4000 on a shimano raider fire rod. Would this combo be suited to barra and estuary fishing?

Any info or advice you can offer would be appriciated

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Barra and Estuary Fishing - Gladstone
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
Certainly your combo would be the goods for larger fish.With the rod I'd be looking at something in the 5 to 8kg range.
The Abu's may cut it, depending on size and line you've got on them. They are tough reels.
Apart from Awoonga the Barrage at Gladstone is also good fishing, as the outlet of the power station. (assuming there are some fish left that have not died during the recent disease outbreak)
Guides are always good to find out what the current lure pattern and technique are working and to show you the ropes. From what I have heard none of the guides at Awoonga are reporting much of a catch at the moment, albeit word is they are getting a few and keeping it quiet.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »
Welcome aboard

Firstly, you’re on the right track with the Johnny Mitchell information, plus his first two barra dvd are a great source of information.

Johnny would be my number one choice for a barra charter and will significantly cut the learning curve.

Not having an electric motor is not insurmountable, but it definitely helps when trying to be stealthy.  I use the electric to approach an area and then lower a silent anchor, large motor coupling with no chain to hold position. Until you get an electric, you can use the wind and current to approach an area.

As for the sounders, it like the old Ford and Holden argument, Lowrance / Humminbird, personally I would get the HDS as you can add the Structure Scan later. I’ve had a Lowrance hds structure scan for 2 years and I’m very happy with the performance, just wish I could have afforded a bigger screen at the time.

Nothing wrong with the Abu gear, its a bit agricultural like an old Fergie Tractor, but it’s damn reliable. 

Spot on with the Stradic and Raider rod, I have the 4000 on a raider bass rod, which I use for barra.  I prefer a whippier rod for barra fishing.  Firstly, the main purpose of the rod is to deliver lures to the target zone and the whippier rod makes a great shock absorber for the jumps and head shakes.

That’s my two cents worth
Earl

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »
Binder,

Thanks for your info on the rods, the Abus seem pretty good and I have 30lb on one and 20lb braid on the other.

Have tried Awoonga but not overly seriously yet, we dropped a few claw pots on the weekend and got a 22cm one. I have tried the hot water outlet a few times but got nothing but sand fly bites. What are you referring to as the Barrage??

I have also been to Callemondah (both salt and fresh) and have had a number of hits and spat lures.

Earl,

I'd say a sounder is first on the to buy list at the moment, I did like the looks of the down scan pictures on the lowrance website but I'm not sure that's how good it will look in actual use. The HDS as a sounder looks good, and when I can afford it I can upgrade to side scan latter on.

So the stradic handles barra fairly well? It has a pretty decent drag rating on it.

I'll have a look at the raider bass rod, cheers for that.

Simon

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
Your first investment should be in a sounder/gps combo.  I prefer Humminbird, but yeah it is a Holden/Ford thing.  Your 2 stroke 30 will get you by for trolling as long as it will idle smoothly at around 4kph.  There is some argument for a rougher idling 2 stroke as a fish attactractant.  A charter with either Johnny or Harro would be money well spent.  If this is your home water it could save you a couple of years of toughing it out on your own.  If you're mainly trolling, the old Abus should serve you well.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
Thanks Aussiebasser, thats good about the 2 stroke rattle / noisy idle not being a problem because mine has a fairly idle.

I got Johnnys 2 barra dvds last night and am looking forward to watching them.

Yeah mate I live in Gladstone so am pretty lucky with all the local fishing places close by.

Cheers,

Simon

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
You're on the right track with Johnny Mitchell mate. There's also nothing wrong with ABU's either, they are one of the few baitcasters that has the levelwind track during a cast. In reality the fish won't know what you're using. As far as a sounder is concerned just get the best you can afford. I like a separate sounder/GPS but that's an individual choice. There's also nothing to choose from between those two, it may simply come down to price. If I had to choose, I'd get an electric motor before the sounder.
JD

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any dam
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
I'll prob get shot down for saying this but check out american sites when looking at sounders. Yer i know i should support australian companies and what happens if ya need warrenty but when i bought my humminbird sounder 6 months ago from america it was near half the price of them here in australia. Sure its in feet and miles but it dont bother me. I can easily convert it in my head the temp and speed and i always work in feet. Its just a option mate.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 44
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Awoonga, Cania, Gladstone
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »
Only the sounder..............?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
Just remember you will not have an australlian chart or warranty. I went the owrance HDS5 foor the fact that I could get the sounder/gps unit for half the price of the full structure scan price for either lowrance or humminbird and upgrade later on. Stradics are fine and the raider will do the job without a worry. If you are going to be casting more then go the electric over the sounder and visa versa if trolling is the prefered method.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »
Yer down side is ya have to send back to america if have a problem. TOUCH WOOD!!! ;)
I too would go the electric over the sounder if ya into casting to the banks. But yer like he said if trollings ya go, go the sounder.
Last year i had my old sounder cr@p it self while fishing a dam and i was lost out in the open water without it. Went straight home and bought a new 1. I cant live without it when fishing. I fish with a fishing club a fair bit for bass and yellas. Alot of the blokes are old school fisherman with average sounders and they always wonder why i catch more or work certain areas alot. I put it all down to havin a good sounder, knowing how to read it and stick with it.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
I'd agree about buying Oz first but half price is hard to go past and it it's just an occasional purchase you'd have to give it some thought.  I did with my current sounder a few years back when it was supposed to be released in Australia but the container was hijacked to USA and we missed out with no amended release date so I bit the bullet went through this site http://www.bonzerimports.com/ Based on the service I got will always sing its praises particularly when the unit stopped working.  The warrenty was sorted no worries as per the web site offer.  The thing was over and back as quick as if it was done in Oz and I even got my tracks and waypoints pulled off the old unit and uploaded onto the new one.

As for JM he's OK I s'pose ;)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I have the navionics charts on my phone and I don't plan on going out past the islands so I don't think I need a GPS and sounder combo, I can put that money towards an electric motor later on. For now I think i'll focus on a new sounder.

Thanks for the link Dick Pasfield as well.

What sort of sounder should would be better for the type of fishing I want to do, a lowrance DSI or an actual 2D sonar sounder. The DSI in the photos clearly shows the structure (trees, weeds etc) which would be easier to read than a 2D sonar image which needs interpreting.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
I have a good mate whos a pro and trys alot of gear and recently when yarning about sounders he said the new side imaging and down imaging are great for barra but he recons the normal view sounders are better for bass fishing. If i fished barra alot i would def spend the bit more money and get the new side imaging. I love having a sounder/gps combo. Being able to hit a button, put the cursor on the stump, rock or bass school and marking it very easily is great.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

The original starter of this thread sounds a lot like me.
   I’ve also just moved to Gladstone and I’ve bought a 4.2m Stessco tinny with a 30hp Tohatsu.
   It has a Hummingbird Fishfinder/Sounder but no electric motor, live bait tank, storage compartments, all things I want to get for it.
   This thread has answered a few of my questions but I thought I might add a few on here rather than start a whole new thread.

I have also considered doing a Barra charter at Awoonga to get a few pointers after three unsuccessful trips there (half arsed effort with the kids).
   I also wouldn’t mind a local charter in the saltwater somewhere, for Barra and what ever else (did I mention I have never actually caught a Barramundi).

I live near the South Trees inlet boat ramp so I have been fishing and crabbing around there a bit and got a few crabs but no keepable fish.

I would just like to probe a few of the locals on this site for a few good local fishing spots ‘accessible’ by my tinny.

Some people reckon the point between Facing Island and Curits Island (near Rat Island) is a good place to get some fish, but I’m worried my little tinny might be a bit small and underpowered to make that trip. I don’t have a GPS and I don’t want to run into any rocks or sand banks which I’ve heard there’s a lot of around there.

I’d appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Tim