Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

Special Interest > Rods n Reels

Suitable Cod Setup

(1/3) > >>

Craidon69:
Hi Guys,

The bass season has closed I'm thinking about heading out west chasing Cod before that season closes. Never fished for cod before so not sure on the setup I need. Would I be looking for a 6-10 kg 6' rod? And what would be the recommended braid weight?

Cheers

Novice:
For Dumaresq river cod, I'm using my bass gear. That is..

15pound Finns braid

Gladiator cape Yorker 6-10kg rod ( stevenM calls them poofter sticks in relation to their short lengths)

I choose between using either a Daiwa Steez,Alphas or Shimano Chronarch baitcasters.

I like lefties too because I can get more casts in without changing hands. You may choose to go heavier on the braid though, I have been smoked a few times now.

Cheers,
Dave.

Craidon69:
Thanks Dave

bushwacker:
Dave was mistaken he doesnt like the alphas he is going to pass it on to me for tree fiddy  ;)

I use the same no real dramas

takrat:
Mate I'm using 20lb Suffix 832 braid with a 40lb leader. I only use baitcasters so it's usually a Quantum Smoke on a 6ft St.CRoix 8-17lb rod. I also carry a lighter unit, a Shimano Citica on a Daiwa Spellbinder rod about 6'6" and rated to 6-13lb. The braid and leader are the same. I like the heavier gear because cod always like the snags and they can pull you back in there with surprising speed. Most of the Cod in the Dumaresq are not real huge but there is the odd big bugger still around.
JD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version