Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Currently:
  • Chasing Wild Bass In The Upper Reaches 5 1

General Category > Articles, Fishing Stories & Yarns

Chasing Wild Bass In The Upper Reaches

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bracey:

--- Quote from: Eelman71 on December 07, 2010, 11:10:23 PM ---You've certainly got me hooked on this sort of fishing Dave. The first day you took me fishing and caught the 6 bass was my best day fishing ever!

--- End quote ---

You'll have to stop working so much Ross and come with us more often. ;D

This rain would have pushed them way further downstream I reckon!

Binder:
Well they opened the spillway on North Pine Monday night, so there should be plenty more of those "wild bass" heading your way in the next month or so as they pick up the scent of the fresh water and head up all the little creeks.

BrisBassMan:
I think dams that go over in this rainy period will give a lot of stocks to creeks and rivers all up he coast.  When I am fishing I try to think where the food might be and go there.  I don't know how many times I have seen a great snag and peppered it with lures because it looked sssoooooo good, only to come up with nothing.  Then 20 metres down on a bank with no "visible" structure and maybe just a little grass over hanging, cast and two twitches .... bang!!!.  I have noticed in other areas, that banks lined with grass growing onto the water are the go to spots even though there are snags or overhanging tree just near by.  The grass has food source and that's where the fish are.

What do you reckon about the flows.  How much current makes it hard for the bass to move up which they are prone to do at this time of year and how much is suitabable to move up and colonise new pools far upstream. 

Bracey, I remember a little while back I was on that bit of water we have recently spoken about and saw a tiny frog go for his life from one side of the creek to the other.  It only hit the water 4 times but every time a bass was hot its heels.  I cast my sammy on the last boil and hooked up.  It pays to watch for some action and target that too ;)

Cheers Geoff

Bracey:
Unfortunately Andrew we can't stop the fish from going over when the lakes reach their full capacity. It's not all bad though.

Geoff your spot on with finding the bait. A couple of weekends ago I saw some little prawns skipping across the top of the waters surface out in the open, no structure to be seen, cast my lure towards them and bang, fish on!

I once saw a 8 inch Frilled Neck Lizard scoot across the sand and then over the water at one hundred miles an hour after I startled it, only for it to get nailed 3 or 4 times by surface feeding Bass on the other side. Obviously it was too large for the Bass to grab hold of it, although from memory a few fish were caught from that very small stretch of bank.

Cheers Dave

Little grey men:
Ohhh I liked reading that ! A mate and myself have been getting stuck into this sort of fishing also over the last year. Even though the bass aren't as large as the dam dwellers, the whole days seem so much more rewarding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version