Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: spinnerbaits  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stanley River
spinnerbaits
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
hey guys,

went shopping today and picked up some spinnerbaits and  crankbait,

what is the best method for securing my braid to them?

please be gentle i have never used braid and need to learn from scratch :youbeauty

I shoot
I hunt
I fish
AND I VOTE....

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: spinnerbaits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
Mate you need a section of "leader" between the braid & the lure.

What does a leader do?
Braid is a great low-stretch, thin fo it's breaking strain line, but it has one flaw & that is it doesn't like sharp objects; it kind of comes down to thickness. Monofilament lines are thicker for their breaking strain & are better able to handle sharp objects; pound for pound. Mono is also cheeper so the business end of your line is where you're going to get cut up changing lures / rigs. Its cheeper to replace a length of mono leader than to keep cutting bits of braid off.

What where when how of leaders?
It all depends on the species you're targetting, where you're fishing, what type of fishing & the lure/bait you're casting.The length of leader used varies, some folks use a foot, some six foot. Some folks will debate the best breaking strain, length, brand etc until the cows come home but 99% of angler will agree that a leader is needed.

Example, if I was casting spinnerbaits on a baitcaster (overhead rod) for bass in the Caboolture River I'd probably run something like a meter of 12 - 15 pound leader.

Knots
I use an inverted albright or Duck Nose knot to connect braid to leader. Others I'm sure will give you their perosnal choices.
To connect a leader to a spinnerbait I would use a locked clinch knot. For connecting a lure I'd use a Loop Knot.

Its all probably very confusing. I'll wait for others to offer their wisdom & experience to your question.

Half an hours fishing & farting around with someone would help you out alot.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Stanley River
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »

Its all probably very confusing.

Half an hours fishing & farting around with someone would help you out alot.

Cheers,

fitzy..

yeh would be handy to have someone that has done it all before, i have a new rod and reel to spool up, got the braid, got mono here from pas exploits and now got the lures.

anyone live near caboolture and wanna come over to my place for a beer and show me how its done with braid?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:26:22 AM »
Redline,

What Fitz said is on the money  :thumbsup  I would be definately be running a length of leader between the braid and the Spinnerbait.  As for how long and how heavy that is dependant on the species you are targeting etc.   I personally run a 6ft length of flurocarbon anywhere between 8-14lb depending on the size of the spinnerbait and the area that I am fishing (casting at weed edges with a smaller spinnerbait would see me with 8lb leader.  Casting around timber etc I would upgrade to 14lb)

Just a side note:  before you spool your reel with the new braid it would pay to run 100mts  or so  of mono onto the reel first (depending on the size of your reel) before spooling the braid.  This will stop the braid slipping on the reel which it has a tendancy to do and also allow you to fill the spool with your braid up to its capacity allowing better and more accurate casting etc. 

I live in Petrie so not that far away if you get stuck or the boys at the local tackle store up that way may be able to help you out aswell.  I have developed my own braid to leader knots so they dont have names however there are some ripper animated knots around on the net so G :o :ogle may be able to help you out there.

As Fitz said everyone will have a way of doing it and all will work and I can guarantee you will find a solution or method that works for you.  If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and if needed I will come and give you hand.

Regards
Colin