Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Somerset Dam Report  (Read 7957 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Somerset Dam Report
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:22:11 AM »
I dusted off the tinnie on Sunday and took it up to Somerset to run the lake lice gauntlet.

Pur in at The Spit without too much of a wait. Ran up along the flats opposite The Hump & ran the sounder for maybe 10 minutes, saw some good shows of fish suspending under thermocline which was at around 25 feet. Was happy enough to know I could come back to them & headed off up the lake intent on checking out the upper reaches.

Blasted straight past all the noise boats & into the trees. Kept picking our way through the trees right up the Stanley arm of the lake & stopped at Villeneuve Bridge. Managed to lay down in the boat & just get under the bridge with about an inch to spare, noted some very good fish on the sounder there & saw some folks fishing off the bank pull in one good silver perch & heard a younster yelling out to his pop that he was onto something big. Good to see.

Trolled for maybe 50 meters while I rigged up some spinnerbaits in expectation of casting at some structure further up. Took off up the river only slowing down as we passed Neurum Creek or Mary Smokes Creek. Before the floods there were some logs that blocked boats getting through, these are gone now so I just kept heading upstream picking our way through snags and logs. We stopped to chat to some folks pulling kayaks up the bank on a private property & they said we probably wouldn't get much further. Another 200 - 300m up I had to put the merc into shallow water drive & got it up one small rapid only to find a much bigger blockage immediately above that. We had to have gone at least 10km upstream of Villeneuve Bridge by that time.

We hopped out & had lunch while I pegged a few spinnerbaits around the great looking structure for no interest.

We drifted back down to the first hole downstream & cast hard body lures and spinnerbaits around the lay downs and mid river rocks. Didn't get anything however. A look at the clock said it was 2:30pm and with around an hour and a half run back we decided to shoot off. I'd planned to try pushing up Mary Smokes Creek looking for a cod and to try up Sandy Creek for a saratoga but had no time. Time flies when you're having fun. We got back to the ramp at The Spit a bit after 4:00pm.

While we didn't catch any fish from a total of probably 20 - 30 minutes total fishing, it was great to get into the upper reaches of Somerset again.  I'm sure if others were able to get up there they'd be amazed as I always am of the structure available as the lake transforms into a river & the vegetation changes to almost rain forrest as you keep going upstream. I've not gone up there for a couple of years & think I'll be going back up there again soon.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Monduran
Re: Somerset Dam Report
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
i might wait till it gets a bit colder before i head up there. Less traffic on the water