Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > Hints and Tips

Mosquito Repellant

<< < (2/7) > >>

Earl:
Fizty,

The Listerine is an internet furphy. There have been plenty of studies and DEET is the most effective control at masking the carbon dioxide we expire in our breath and from our skin. Hence the stronger the better, just watch the plastic and paint work

I’m one of the fortunate soles the mozzies tend to avoid, some people say I’m full of sh%t and after reading the earlier post I’ve come to the determination it must be cow sh%t. 

Many people only apply DEET to exposed skin, but it’s far more effective when applied to your skin, clothing, hat and carpet in the boat, the more DEET you apply the more effective it will be at masking your CO2.  Also give the swag a liberal dose before bed

If all else fails take Slates fishing with you and stick him at the other end of the boat.

Regards
Earl

BrisBassMan:
Went up to the Kennedy River last year and no matter what we did we couldn't keep the away.  We had many bottles of OFF! which only seem to work so a short period of time.  The Cow Pat solution was bearly cutting it but then we didn't do the dungs in the drums method. 

I remember lying the the screened off tent and seeing 50 or 60 mozzies trying to get in.  My brother does a lot of research up that way and he  found the tropical strength aeroguard was good but by the end of the trip his watch was melted !!

Gotta wonder what we are putting on our skin ???

Cheers Geoff

takrat:
Good topic people, and a thoroughly ongoing one I would think, Earl's idea is a good one but doing a short summary of all the DEET required meant I would have to seriously reconsider my load of gear. When I worked up in North Queensland many moons ago we bought Aerogard by the the numerous cartons. But todays insects seem to be completely immune to it. So now it boils down to whether you want to slowly corrode, along with everything you touch or just get Bahmah Forest and Ross River and simply get used to it... Fitzy the cow dung fire works but it's pretty tough on the inside of your boat.
Cheers mate,
JD

nagg:
Interesting subject here guys (as I sit scratching the numerous sandlfy bites that I copped over the last few days) -     

Tropical strength aeroguard .... was no deterent at all

Bushmans is the best (the gel) - it is a pain in the butt as it is slimy sticky stuff - but sandlys die as they cannot fly off -  came to realise this when fly fishing in the Southern Is of NZ (home of the mega nasty sand fly)  ..... then comes the yellowish can & the green (but the sprays need to be applied often..... hourly)  .
sadly as Dale has stated .... Bushmans eats plastics and paint - BIG TIME!.

So why am I sitting here scratching ???  -    because I got smashed on arrival at our camp site & was too keen to bother about using any ...... just the  TS Aeroguard  -    GAME OVER

Chris

Apollo:
Saw an ad the other day for insect proof clothing - think it was Bisley.  Anyone tried them?

I have always found that loose fitting long clothing works well.  They seem to bight through tigher stuff.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version