Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Obi Obi Creek. Number 4 Crossing  (Read 19285 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Obi Obi Creek. Number 4 Crossing
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Re: Obi Obi Creek. Number 4 Crossing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:06 PM »
Ok this is basically the last on road access that you can get to this creek which feeds into the upper Mary.

Please note that there is a exclusion zone as per below info.

FISHERIES AMENDMENT REGULATION (No. 4) 1998
†‘PART 2A—WATERS WHERE FISHING LINES AND RODS CAN NOT BE USED
 ̇‘Prohibited activities ‘45A. The following activities are prohibited in waters described in this
part—
(a)   using hand held fishing lines or fishing rods with hand operated reels and lines to take fish;
(b)   possessing fish taken in contravention of paragraph (a);
(c) possessing hand held fishing lines or fishing rods with hand operated reels and lines.
 ̇‘Obi Obi Creek
‘45B. Obi Obi Creek between the Baroon Pocket Dam wall and the shortest line across the creek at the southern bank of Skenes Creek.’.

But at the end of the day you would not want to go any further than the first lot of portage.

You would be getting close to breaking the law and if you elect to go and walk any further, please take two rabbits with you so you can stick your foot up there arse as the rocks are as slippery as anywhere that I have come across.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
Thanks Steve. Good info.   :thumbsup

Also worth noting that the taking of Mary River Cod in the whole Mary River system is prohibited.  C:-)

http://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-26.641782,152.803001&spn=0.038589,0.0842&t=p&vpsrc=6&z=14

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Nice pink ribbon Steve .  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
Looks like you chose gentlemens hours to head up there Steve ! A good population of resident platypus in there with one master of the pool just at the bridge. The two landowners on the northern bank are quite friendly and helpful with Tim the first property owner (where the pontoon is) runs a palm nursery and is a very keen platypus watcher. I chatted with him for a good hour one day and he came across as a vigilant "caretaker" for the waterway which is good to see. You may have noticed a white PVC pipe a few hundred metres back downstream on his bank which he informed me was a monitoring station for CSIRO or Fisheries monitoring water parameters I believe concerning the resident cod population. The next landowner upstream on the same side as Tim (didn't get his name) invited me up onto his property to scout upstream after we stopped to chat. Another friendly guy too who suggested getting over his fence to walk up on flatter clearer ground.I only went about 800 m upstream but did find a nice pool that would have been good to have got the yak in but as you mention slippery as hell though. Downstream of the bridge becomes too shallow with long extended portages although the first few hundred metres isn't bad with one nice long shady pool. The last photo is the top pool a long walk above the upper portages. The three pics before that downstream of the bridge. Cheers Pat

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
A magical place indeed Steve.

May I add that at creek crossing number 2 as you head towards Kenilworth also has a free camping area, however it has no facilities including no water so be sure to take everything needed if a weekend trip is planned.

http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-26.636301,152.785556&ll=-26.636301,152.785556&z=18&t=h&nmd=20100125

If you wish to also camp on the Mary River with facilities, there is also Kenilworth Homestead only down the road. For an Easter family experience never to forget if you have small children, this is the place to be over that busy time as the Homestead accommodates many activities for the littlies over that busy period.

http://www.kenilworthhomestead.com.au/Kenilworth_Homestead/Home.html

Since a few photo's have been placed up on the above posts of creek crossing number 4, can I share what you may expect when launching at creek crossing number 2.

This creek system can be very hit and miss as it is a tributary of the Mary River and can be extremely dangerous after flooding rain as larger pools drain into very skinny windy sections over many rocks and log jambs. With that being said the scenery is first class.

Cheers Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »