Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fishing QLD state forests ???  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 0
  • Kayake Fishing Beginner
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: fisherman's creek
Fishing QLD state forests ???
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »
Hi Gents

I am wanting to do some freshwater creek fishing for bass when the open season rolls around again so I am doing my research. My question as the subject asks is - is it legal to fish in QLD state forests as I don't want to go trespassing on property owners land. Some of the creeks I have seen on Google maps either back on to or go through some state forests. Also how dose every one else deal with this delema, you hear a lot of stories of people catching bass in the skinny water but little about accessing it, I believe once upon a time their was a rule/law saying you could access any water course if you stayed with in 5/10 meters of the water, dose any one know if this rule still applies.

Cheers
James

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Fishing QLD state forests ???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »
If the land next to the water course is state forrest, un-allocated crown land or national park, go your hardest, as long as there is no tenure over it, eg a lease or permit to occupy. Depending on the permit, they probably still cannot stop you going through the land to access the water course.

All beds and banks of water courses in Qld are crown land. If there is free hold land adjoining it, the owner may exercize some ancient outdated right under section 13A of the Land Act to refuse access to that piece of river bank immediately adjoining their land, even though they don't own it.
If it is tidal water you can walk up the creek in the water as rustwater creeks are deemed to be a thoroughfare.
If it is non-tidal (sweetwater) creek you technically can't walk up the guts of a creek, well you can but if farmer brown owns the land on BOTH sides of the creek / river asks you to leave, you need to either swim (not touch the bottom), grow wings or leave. You could tell them where to go and wait to see if they pull out a shottie or call the local copper.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
Re: Fishing QLD state forests ???
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
Some streams in State Forests are closed waters under the Fisheries Act.
Some streams are closed waters under the Forestry Act.
Some State Forests were sold to private forestry companies by the last Government.
State forest lease holders vary widely in their attitude to and tolerance of fishers.