Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a homemade ply kayak that looks like a bought one?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Hey all,

Just joined this forum and have a question.

I have made a one sheet canoe out of 6.4mm exterior ply and love the light little 5 hour boat.

I've got mates that have kayaks and we go fishing together but my canoe is veeeerryy tippy and not a relaxing day out at all.

I have seen the $20 outriggers on youtube and may make one before I go out next trip but would like to make a more stable kayak.

Now that I have built my first boat/canoe, I have been looking at other boats/canoes/kayaks and can see the good and bad with all.

The good point for mine is cheap ( $40 for total build), and light but very tippy.
Kayaks are very stable but $500 seems to be a good starting price and I like the idea of building my own.

I have seen the traditional eskimo style kayaks that you sit in but I am wondering why I can't make a kayak with ribs but one that I sit on like a modern kayak.

I can copy my mates kayak in glass but this still comes up to near $400 in glass and resin and I like the idea of working in ply.

We have been out to our local fishing creek and my son and I love the relaxing day out.

Anyway, looking forward to catching up with some of you out there and on this forum.

Greg

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Look up Jem watercraft if you want to build your own. Wish I had the patience to do it. I'd love a Laker 13. Cost would be around the $500 mark plus about 50-60 hours of your time.

Offline Member

• Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 130
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assoc. run a canoe and kayak convention at Wivenhoe every year. At previous events , there has been an entrant that uses and displays his ply homemade kayak....but from memory it was a sit in yak. It's an absolute work of art by the way.

If you search the previous years threads from this comp you may stumble upon a picture of it.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
This build thread on AKFF of a Jem ply kayak may be of interest, on the last page you will see a couple of Jems made by the same bloke.
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7832

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
If you search the fishntales of hervey bay site there was a guy who did some beautifully crafted wooden yaks and canoes. It was truely inspirational work.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
You bet - have a look as Chespeake Light Craft. They offer anything from plans to complete pre-cut ready to build kits.