Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fish release at Lake Wivenhoe Saturday November 29th.  (Read 11442 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Fish release at Lake Wivenhoe Saturday November 29th.
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
There will be a release of approximately 80,000 Australian Bass at Hamon Cove this Saturday morning between 7.30 and 8.00 am.  This will be our last Bass delivery this year and follows a successful release of approximately 200,000 fish at Westvale Road Lake Somerset last Saturday and 100,000+ fish at McLeans Road Lake Wivenhoe last month.  All visitors are welcome at this release.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
Re: Fish release at Lake Wivenhoe Saturday November 29th.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
Ahhh

to have numbers like that

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
This year, SWFSA will be stocking more Bass than the NSW Government put into the whole state of NSW.  Not a bad effort for a group with about 10 active members.  The increase of funds for Lake Wivenhoe is a direct result of Garry Fitzgerald's promotion of Kayak angling. :Clap)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:45:00 AM »
Ahhh

to have numbers like that

You and the LFMA boys keep your heads up, Steve. You'll get o the SIP one day.

Having ya nose rubbed in it though, only enhances the ill feeling between the 'have SIP' and the 'have nots'.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »
I'm not sure what you're getting at Dave.  SWFSA Inc has been going for around 30 years.  It built up an excellent fishery before the SIP scheme, and now we are seeing the results of all the work.  Before your time I can tell you there were untold hours put in to running the Kirkleagh Classics, the biggest comp in Queensland in its day.  Hundreds of chook raffles were run by members.  What we are now seeing is the fruits of the successful ground work put in over many, many years.  Garry has been tireless in his promotion of both lakes and his motto of "If you build it, they will come" has proven to be a truism with Lake Wivenhoe.  I wish StevenM and the LAFMA guys every success in their endeavours, an d with persistence I'm sure it will pay off.
Should SWFSA not announce what they are doing for fear it may offend other groups?  Or should it announce it so it can be seen as a goal for fledgling groups?  There will always be someone with their nose out of joint.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Yeah... i do not get why ill feelings occur between stocking groups if not for personal reasons...

Its too easy to forget about whats going on in your own backyard it seems and to just do your own thing

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
Its always a double edged sword.....

More fish in = more fishing pressure = more fish coming out. Then the need to put more fish in.

Personally I'd probably prefer to have less fish, and less traffic on the water.

Somerset being the most heavily fished lake in Qld, with Wivenhoe now at number 2 on the SIP preferences means there's a need to restock more fish. That's where the SIP scheme came about, to replace those fish taken in the form of a license where the fees go back towards replacing those fish the following season.
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

With such an emphasis on the "angler preferences" in the SIP funds distribution,  a not yet popular or virgin fishery is never going to get much from the SIP anyway, certainly not enough to build a fishery.
The trick is marketing to get the preference ticks up, but promoting a fishery that isn't producing only leads to disappointment if someone goes and catches little in the form of quality or quantity. I think the concept of Wyaralong being a "niche" fishery with the MRC cod is brilliant (as opposed to the likes of Somerset which is expected to be all things to all people) and I will happily assist the group, they only need to ask. In saying that, getting onto the SIP Scheme should only take 2-3 seasons; start stocking, allow it time for initial release to grow and see if the fishery is viable, then apply to join....it's not hard.

Have's and have not's? It's not Somerset, Tinaroo or Leslie dams fault that they're older and have had alot of effort put in to make them viable, why should they be disadvantaged or punished? Or rather why should the anglers who have paid their SIP money in good faith have their fees stripped away or watered down to establish locations that had little or nothing there for them to catch that year.

Throwing stones at others will only lead to animosity; i never could understand why the original SIP allocation was "played with" jut to keep influential players happy, but it has in fact backfired IMHO. They should have left the thing alone I reckon and it would have been far better to get the newer fisheries up and running sooner.

Now, what would everyone think if the funds collected from the 30 odd existing SIP lakes from the past year all of a sudden go to stocking the rest of the states weirs and rivers? That's possibly on the cards, but only after those fisheries are on the SIP for a year I would think.
If that's going to happen, why not just rip the SIP and stock all rivers from the fund? The SIP system would crash just after those established fisheries that generate all of the income crash for lack of restocking because the money is getting spread too thin all over the place.

The key to solving all of the problems is to include cray-fishing onto the requirements for having a SIP. That will see a lot more money coming in which will allow for a lot more restocking and ultimately better fishing for all.  :thumbsup

What do you reckon?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
Who's having a go at who and for what?

Not me.

As far as the peso's that were on offer this year through the SIP it was around 850K that went to the SIP stocking groups.

All info has been provided here before but is available to anyone via fisheries or daff website

https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/permits-dams/where-permit-funds-go/stocked-impoundment-permit-scheme-2013-2014-financial-summary

How the funds were allocated

Allocation amounts are based on a total of $835,000 for 2014-2015.

The allocation formula used was 50% angler preference and 50% surface area.

SIP Funding Allocation
Dam Areas    % Angler Preference    Total Allocation
(excluding GST)
Bjelke Petersen    4.11    $32,810
Boondooma*    4.03    $50,672
Borumba    3.71    $18,345
Burdekin*    1.07    $55,494
Callide    1.35    $14,965
Cania    2.08    $13,732
Connolly    1.88    $2,237
Cooby    4.98    $6,332
Coolmunda    3.24    $26,209
Cressbrook    5.89    $17,793
Eungella    2.91    $17,950
Fairbairn    1.54    $37,333
Fred Haig    3.02    $43,100
Glenlyon    2.84    $25,125
Gordonbrook    1.09    $6,075
Kinchant    3.44    $20,562
Lake Dyer    2.16    $5,061
Lake Gregory    1.23    $6,361
Lake MacDonald    1.61    $8,288
North Pine    3.04    $28,908
Lenthalls    1.49    $11,810
Leslie*    6.05    $53,384
Maroon    5.14    $14,355
Moogerah    4.45    $24,166
Peter Faust*    2.52    $61,159
Somerset    8.26    $63,467
Storm King    1.53    $6,509
Teemburra    2.84    $19,542
Theresa Creek    1.54    $7,930
Tinaroo    2.93    $38,830
Wivenhoe*    6.69    $77,364
Wuruma    1.33    $19,130
NOTES:

10.91% of anglers did not indicate a preference or ticked the ‘all’ impoundments box for the distributions of funds.  Unallocated preferences were distributed evenly between the 32 dams.
    Please note that these dams received $20,000 each in extra funds due to an increase in SIP sales for 2013/2014. The extra paid will be deducted off their 2014/15 allocation and redistributed to the other dams in the 2014/15 allocations.

So in the end of the day Somerset and Wivenhoe had 160K to spend on fish. Thats a lot of chook raffles. Not taking any of the hard work away from those early days with the sweat burning your eyes as the group were hard at it at the coal face.

As far as hiding who is doing what or stocking what and promoting it, also great stuff. Info is available from the daff site with a few clicks to get the info

Just a reminder to one and all and this info is straight from the daff site

Fish stocking groups

There are about 70 community-based fish stocking groups throughout Queensland. Members of stocking groups are volunteers that help develop and maintain local fisheries.

of those 70 only 32 are on the sip scheme.

So when you see those other 38 groups selling a ticket for a chook raffle, did deep ya bastards, buy a ticket or three and slip a few extra bob in.  :youbeauty

:thanks

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Scroll to the bottom of the page on this one and click on the bit that says

Fish Stocking Records XLS

https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/freshwater-fish-stocking/fish-stocking

that will give every one a bit of a look in on what is happening with all groups and regions

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
I didn't think you were having a go at anyone SteveM, and I don't think anyone has suggested you were.

As President of SWFSA I see it as part of my job to promote the group, encourage public participation and try to attract new members.  I'd hate to think what the average age of our current members is, but it would be closer to 60 than to 40 and that is pretty sad when you see the number of people taking advantage of the hard work put in.  One evening a month and a few fish releases is all it takes.  Unfortunately the AGM is never very well attended, and the same people take the responsibility year after year to stop the group from folding.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
63K and 77K is only 140K, the extra money we spent was what was carried over from last year because we couldn't buy Bass.  Next year the additional 20K will be deducted from Wivenhoe's total bringing it back to about 37K.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
63K and 77K is only 140K, the extra money we spent was what was carried over from last year because we couldn't buy Bass.  Next year the additional 20K will be deducted from Wivenhoe's total bringing it back to about 37K.
Wasn't there also another $10k spent from fund raising, chook raffles etc spent on top of SIP grants?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Correct Garry, the group donated $10,000 of non-SIP funds to Gerry Cook Hatchery to fund a lot of their breeding program this year.  We hope to receive some Mary River Cod from them in return which are destined for Warrill Creek, The Bremer River and Lockyer Creek, as per a motion on the books from last year.  Any Stocking Group who obtains Mary River Cod from Gerry Cook in the future will benefit the donation.  That $10 grand came from the Kayak comps and other fund raisers over the last few years.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 08:38:59 PM »
At the end of the day its pretty bloody simple

If you are part of any stocking group, good on ya for donating your time.(and usually your money)

If your not, stop winging about sh!t and join one

If you dont wanna join one then donate some coin to a tin at a bar out west or by a bloody raffle ticket from a stocking group and the like.

Sip or No Sip, We dont keep the money, it goes and buys fish for the local water way.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
I'm not working now 'Basser, will be there.  :thumbsup