Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 18th November 2013  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 18th November 2013
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:30 PM »
 Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 18th November 2013By Steve Williamson. –

Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

Fishing Roundup
Last Saturday was another cold and wet day however we woke to a sunny but cool day on Sunday and it was just a lovely day for fishing. One of the very few in recent weeks, however this week is not looking too bad with maybe some late showers on Wednesday but it should be a day up in the higher 20’s which will be good. Maybe some light showers later in the week but nothing like we have been having.
The fly fishers will be happy that we may finally have some warmer weather to stir the insect life up and get the trout jumping.
Those that follow us on Facebook would have seen the photo of the little fingerlings cruising the edges of the lake now and so this may stir the rainbow trout into action and we might see an improvement with the lure spinning and fly fishing around the edges.
The boat trollers did do it a little hard over the weekend with some cool and wet conditions but with warmer weather we should see some better catches this week. Funny enough there were some good reports for those boats that were downrigging over the weekend with some good size rainbows being caught.
The bait guys also did Ok with scrub worms the best bait followed by the artificial baits and best action was when you teamed the tow up together. Mudeyes were still not working all that week and are still hard to come by anyway. That is normal when you don’t see any dragon flies about, that means there have been no mudeye hatches and so the trout would not be on to them yet.
All in all, it should be a better week for fishing and with some stabe weather we should see some stable fishing.
PLEASE NOTE.
Discovery Holiday Parks boat hire is back in action again after the boats have been now serviced and a couple of new 4 stroke motors for the half cabin boats. Call 02 64562099.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The temperature today was 13 degrees C and should rise this week.

Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure early and late or on windy days.
Best lake lure –Tasmanian Devil Willys Special or larger Rapalas.
Best lake area – East Jindabyne Islands and Kalkite west shore..
Best fly method lake – Yabby Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Black nymphs but may see some dry fly mid week.
Best River Lures –Rapalas in BT and RT and Bullet lures in RT and BT.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.
Trolling.
Another mixed week of fishing but the trout have still been a little slow but with stable weather we should see some better early morning trolling this week.
Willies Special Tasmanian Devil has still been good but black and gold is another colour that is working well also. The best fishing is still off  lead core lines which tells me the trout a down a little! I would be trolling close to the lake edges during this time. After the first half hour of light I would be moving out to slightly deeper ware still running my lead core line at 3 colours (30 metres) and then start to use my downrigger at 25 feet lowering to 35 feet as it gets later and brighter into the day.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellow and black Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful. I would also try a Gillies Wobbler for something different and on the downrigger it might be worth trying out the LED flashing Balista lure. Whatever you use at the moment try teaming them up with attractors like cowbells, fenders or dodgers and if you don’t like the drag caused by some of these come in to my shop and have a look at some of the “mini” attractors we have for sale.

Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, and artificial baits the best. The success of artificial baits is starting to improve over recent days also.
We are not seeing any dragonflies about at the moment and so mudeyes have not been catching as many fish as normal.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade. Also throw in a Bullet lure is natural colours as well
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas and give the Scatter Raps a try they have a fabulous action.), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.

River Spinning.
No change on the river fishing conditions it has still been cold and there is not a lot of visual activity at the moment. The trout are there in the Thredbo, but most are in the very deep pools where you can’t see them. I suggest working the bottom with lures or soft plastics.
Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and the Strike Tiger range in more natural colours might just work well first up. I would look at RT and BT Rapalas in the CD version.

Fly Fishing Lake
Should see an improvement this week with early and late in the day best with black or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
Still not a lot of bugs about to excite the trout into action. Nymphs are still the best flies to use at the moment but when that weather warms up mid this week there should be an improvement and maybe some dry fly.
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available