Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Harpeng Road Access Log  (Read 49509 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Harpeng Road Access Log / Updates
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »
I spent some time today talking with a Council representative.  The Harpeng Road issue is currently closed as far as Council is concerned.  The gate fitted to the first fence is seen as adquate to provide pedestrian access to the river.  The second fence is seen by Council as being a DERM issue.  To have the matter re-opened we need to put in more complaints to a Councillor or the Mayor.  We need as many people as possible to raise complaints especially if there is any reaction from the adjacent landholder to people using the access point.  If anyone gets notes on their windscreen, please provide copies of these so that we can show Council.  The Ombudsman will not action my complaint as I have not gone through the complete Council procedure and waited my 140 days for a reply.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Re: Harpeng Road Access Log / Updates
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 09:16:46 PM »
I counted at least 17 kayakers using this access point to the river this morning. Parking wasn't a problem. No rubbish at all was seen either on the road or down by the river's edge.

The adjoining landholders have been running their cattle all over the river bank , upstream and over the shingle crossing , which gave the water the appearance of being of very poor in quality in this shallow section of the river. Here's a few pics to see what I mean.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Harpeng Road Access Log
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 11:03:13 PM »
Took the kids down to Harpeng Road for a look today.

I just pulled of the middle of the road to park when I heard a bad scrapping sound under the car. I stopped straight away and hopped out of the car to find barbed wire had been left on the edge of the track. I will leave it up to your imagination to decide if the wire was left there intentionally or accidentally; either way it was definately irresponsible & dangerous.  :thumbdown

Thanks to those helpful kayakers on site who helped get the barbed wire out from under my car and help dispose if it, responsibly this time.  :thumb

Lucky neither of my kids were cut by the wire getting out of the car.  :thumbdown

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Submitted video taken at Harpeng Road 29 August 2012

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Spot X.
Harpeng Road Access Log
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
Hey guys. I'm glad to see the access log, thank you to all that have contributed.

When I first looked into launching the yak in at Harpeng road, I was unaware of the threats and intimidation from one of the farmers. Now that I know this, I will be taking my precautions, but standing by my rights if I am confronted by the man threatening us anglers. I am only seventeen and plan to take my yak down there with a mate this weekend or next. I will be respecting the area, and I thought I might notify the local police, that I will be heading down there, and that if the farmer causing me any trouble, I will be calling them.

From my understanding, at the end of the bitumen/paved section Harpeng road, it turns to dirt, where there is an illegal fence and a gate to one side (intentionally by the farmer) making it harder for access to continue along what is Harpeng road. Being an illegal fence, it is legal for us to take our vehicles through this fence and follow the dirt section of the road, is that correct?

I have had a good look on google earth, and I have an idea of how to get to the river, legally, but I guess it'll all be a lot clearer once I get there.

Will anybody else be launching their kayaks on Saturday the 8th? I plan too be there and wouldn't mind having some fellow anglers there to help me access the area, if they don't mind. I haven't been there before, so I just want to make sure that I will be doing the right thing. I'd be making an early morning appearance, around sunrise.

I'll post back to let you all know if I do indeed go, and I will then keep a tally of other anglers and damage to the area, if any at all, and I'll then give you guys an update of my experience.

Thank you for reading.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
From all I can ascertain, Council are not in favour of allowing people to drive to the river.  They know the gate was put in the incorrect position for vehicular access and are OK with it.  In other words, they want pedestrian access only from the illegal fence on the road reserve through to the river.  I have advised that I have used this access for launching my tinnie for many years but they don't seem to be concerned with that.  I guess "my" Council are happy for the adjacent land holder to have the only vehicular access to what is in fact a road.  Unfortuately, Deb Frecklington seems to have very little interest in looking at what the problem is.  She questioned the fact that I referred to the fences as illegal.
I would advise everybody to be careful of things in the grass adjacent to the track.  I have heard of steel pickets being driven into the ground, and now a coil of barbed wire.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 52
  • Liked: 2
  • fish restocker
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Still paying for wrestling with that barbed wire, well done to Steve to for disposing if it so no one else gets caught up in it .

Cheers

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
Still paying for wrestling with that barbed wire,

Cheers

Injury from it? You could get a doctors certificate, forward to council with complaint & contact your solicitor regarding personal damages C:-)

I got one barb that went thru the shoes into the foot but no infection so far  :thumb

Well done to those fishos who helped clean up the wire.  :Clap)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
  • Fly Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
Injury from it? You could get a doctors certificate, forward to council with complaint & contact your solicitor regarding personal damages C:-)

I got one barb that went thru the shoes into the foot but no infection so far  :thumb

Well done to those fishos who helped clean up the wire.  :Clap)

That'll learn me for wearing proper shoes :(

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 52
  • Liked: 2
  • fish restocker
  • View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
It's ok luckily I had my safety thongs on   :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
Did too good a job bundling it up, was going to add it to my cat proof fence. Gave up, going in the recycle bin. Went down in my safety thongs, came back up barefoot, will be bringing my steel caps in future.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »
Clean as today.

One  (1) small piece of paper.

Item removed.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
I also noticed a empty can of cat food on the top of the gate post post as I walked in, I did intend to get it on the way out but some other thoughtful kayakers who we met on the way out took care of it before me.  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: colleges crossing
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
Hey guys. I'm glad to see the access log, thank you to all that have contributed.

When I first looked into launching the yak in at Harpeng road, I was unaware of the threats and intimidation from one of the farmers. Now that I know this, I will be taking my precautions, but standing by my rights if I am confronted by the man threatening us anglers. I am only seventeen and plan to take my yak down there with a mate this weekend or next. I will be respecting the area, and I thought I might notify the local police, that I will be heading down there, and that if the farmer causing me any trouble, I will be calling them.

From my understanding, at the end of the bitumen/paved section Harpeng road, it turns to dirt, where there is an illegal fence and a gate to one side (intentionally by the farmer) making it harder for access to continue along what is Harpeng road. Being an illegal fence, it is legal for us to take our vehicles through this fence and follow the dirt section of the road, is that correct?

I have had a good look on google earth, and I have an idea of how to get to the river, legally, but I guess it'll all be a lot clearer once I get there.

Will anybody else be launching their kayaks on Saturday the 8th? I plan too be there and wouldn't mind having some fellow anglers there to help me access the area, if they don't mind. I haven't been there before, so I just want to make sure that I will be doing the right thing. I'd be making an early morning appearance, around sunrise.

I'll post back to let you all know if I do indeed go, and I will then keep a tally of other anglers and damage to the area, if any at all, and I'll then give you guys an update of my experience.

Thank you for reading.

Count me in and maybe my brother.  I've never been done there before but curious to check it out for myself. 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Spot X.
Harpeng Road Access Log
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
Count me in and maybe my brother.  I've never been done there before but curious to check it out for myself.

Awesome mate!
It's no definite just yet. I got for my license on Friday the 14th, and hopefully I get it. The Saturday 15th or Sunday 16th may be easier for me. I can send you a pm to let you know when I'll be down there if you like?