Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Borumba 5.01.12  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 27
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: anywhere theres water deep enough
Borumba 5.01.12
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
Arrived at the ramp at 3.20am and had just managed to pack the turbo tent up (thought it best not to wake
my fellow campers up with the cursing) when the sound of an approaching 4wd heralded Eric's (Lantana) arrival.
He helped me unload the PA that Mal (Sunhobie) had kindly lent me for the day while my yak is in the shop and
once there was light enough to see we hit the water.Only problem was I must have woken some of my fellow campers
when leaving as two boats arrived as we were launching.
Luckily with our safety lights visible we were given a wide berth as they passed us on their way up the dam about
20 minutes or so later.
The PA moved very easily through the water and I had to slow my pedalling down or find myself leaving Eric and his
Revo behind.After a 50 mins or so we found ourselves up at the ski limits and began to work our way up the arm of
the dam that Eric had had success with in the past around this time of year.
Our only worries in the cool crisp clear early morning light was that 1. the boats ahead of which one was a redclaw
fisho might shut the fish down when moving around close to shore and 2.the traffic over the Xmas break may have chased
the fish to other quieter areas further up the dam
These worries were soon proved correct as the next 3 hours of solid fishing only saw about 2 hits each between us on
not only surface lures but subsurface lures as well.
We opted for an early smoko / late breakfast and pulled in on shore for a stretch of the legs and Eric took the PA
out on the water for a pedal/paddle.Standing up was easy and at no time was he in danger of going over.
   We hopped back in the yaks and crossed over to the weed beds opposite our smoko site and were just drifting
along chatting and plannning the rest of the morning while I flicked the fly in to shore that I had worked an hour before
I had decided to try further down and pulled the fly in and had just put the rod down and was getting the camera out
to take a pic of Eric casting when his lure was smashed not 5m from my last cast (He truly is the Toga GURU)
After a tense few minutes where the fish had gone one side of a tree and Eric had drifted the other we were treated to
a jumping display (all of which I missed on the camera) and then Eric was slipping the net under another Toga.
This served to reinvigorate both of us and we then proceeded to work both sides of the creek for a few hundred yards
downstream but alas no further success.
The day had warmed up beautifully and we opted to work our way back down the dam before heading home around lunchtime.
We arrived at a bay that Eric had caught a nice fish last time I was here with him and such is the generous nature of
the man,he let me explore it on my own while he waited just around the corner.I worked my way around the western side
and was almost back out to a spot on the eastern side where I had lost a good fish last time in the thick timber.As
casting the fly was proving difficult due to the thick timber I had switched back to the spin gear for a bit.I dropped
the surface bug under the same tree as last time but no joy.The next cast to left 2m was smashed and the little reel
sang its merry tune as the fish dove deep and headed out past me.Oh bugger! Erics got the net . The subsequent yahooing
and cooeeing did not catch his attention and after a few spectacular leaps and splashes I played the fish out and slid
my hand under a 66cm fish and lifted it gently into the PA.A quick snap for posterity and I lowered the fish back in the
water and allowed him to recover before swimming off.
I then rejoined Eric around the corner and once more we worked our way along the weed beds for another hour or so before
heading home.Apart from a single hit each we came up fruitless but nevertheless left satisfied as it had been a hard days
fishing.

work like you dont need the money and fish as though you dont need to eat

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
Re: Borumba 5.01.12
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
Good stuff guys. There is a dam up this way that contains Toga and which I intend to fish in the not too distant future. Just wondering what type of area is the most likely to produce fish. Ie. Timber, weed beds, Lily pads etc.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »
Gday Brett
                 mate all I can say is yes all of the above as you listed .Eric's fish came from next to Lily pads while mine came
from a dry gully with SheOaks overhanging the bank. A couple of hits came from beside weed beds inside an area of dead trees.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
Sounds like a good trip even if the fish were a bit thin.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
it was mate.Sorry I missed the toga release at EM I passed the ute with the fingerlings somewhere near Yandina on the way home.If
Id have known they were for us I would have stopped at the dam

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »
Yeah, then you would have been able to say you had 15 toga in one session ;)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »
 :youbeauty