Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Marketing  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Marketing
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
Any one else catch that report on AF before it was delted???In case you missed,the only product not mentioned was the NRX rods(this time)
 ::)

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
Re: Marketing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
Yes and it was interesting to see the different take on the point that was made in regard to the marketing dimension of the report.  To some it was so overt it bordered on tactlessness.  To others there was no problem at all, in fact a good report. 

Regardless of what you thought it did follow a particular format both in text and pics that is becoming increasingly popular in terms of the prominence of product placement.  In a phenomenon (Or is it a strategy?) reminiscent of the 'Marching Chinese' it appears to be self perpetuating, at least for the moment.

The question is moot but I'll ask it anyway "Has advertising so saturated our lives the we compliantly become nothing more than a cog in the machine because it's seems like the right way to do things?"     

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »
Missed it, who what when where why?

IF you feel they step over the mark and as a separate but related question, in YOUR eyes when do the pro anglers pushing their sponsored products start doing their companies a dis-service?

do you just turn off the product? take it with a grain of salt? complain to the company?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:10:15 AM »
My wife is an advertiser dream, believes any cr@p they tell her. Me I'm the opposite, annoy me with an add or claim or something you do and you wont ever see me in your shop again.

Well not maybe not "ever", Kmart sold me a dud toaster in 1983 and wouldn't honour the warranty, I did buy something from there shop last year......only because it was a great special and no one else had one in stock!

I rarely read any fishing articles in magazines these days unless it is about somewhere I am about to go to that I have not been for a while.  For me most of them all passed over that line many years ago.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »
I also missed the post, however it is saddening to see that the "cash for comments" mentality is hitting the chat boards.  In magazines it is now expected, although not welcome, that we are assailed with overt promotion of particular products, Chat Rooms set up for the general public are a different matter.  You cannot run a site like Ausfish or Sweetwater for nothing, as in all life, you get nothing for nothing.  These sites rely on a low level of sponsorship from advertisers, as can be seen by the banners on top of the screen.  These companies see the value of the Interweb and choose to pay their way to get their product before the consumers.  Without them, we wouldn't have web sites like this.  Then you get the slimey ones, the ones who, through people who are proud to be associated with them, continually push their products and expect that site administrators are too stupid to notice that they are feeding off the teat provided by others, for nothing.  How sad it will be when Web Sites go the way of the written media and you have to wade through the bullshit of product placement and wonder if you can really believe advice given, when more and more posters have alterior motives for posting.  Both Ausfish and Sweetwater try to be diligent and protect the average poster and reader from being exposed to this new form of free advertising.  Some posters don't listen, and that's what our ban button is for.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
I also missed the post, however it is saddening to see that the "cash for comments" mentality is hitting the chat boards.  In magazines it is now expected, although not welcome, that we are assailed with overt promotion of particular products, Chat Rooms set up for the general public are a different matter.  You cannot run a site like Ausfish or Sweetwater for nothing, as in all life, you get nothing for nothing.  These sites rely on a low level of sponsorship from advertisers, as can be seen by the banners on top of the screen.  These companies see the value of the Interweb and choose to pay their way to get their product before the consumers.  Without them, we wouldn't have web sites like this.  Then you get the slimey ones, the ones who, through people who are proud to be associated with them, continually push their products and expect that site administrators are too stupid to notice that they are feeding off the teat provided by others, for nothing.  How sad it will be when Web Sites go the way of the written media and you have to wade through the bullshit of product placement and wonder if you can really believe advice given, when more and more posters have alterior motives for posting.  Both Ausfish and Sweetwater try to be diligent and protect the average poster and reader from being exposed to this new form of free advertising.  Some posters don't listen, and that's what our ban button is for.

Yes I'm happy enough with the banner ads. I remember when they first appeared, it was a bit sad but you got used to them because there was some separation between them and the posts. 

The positive point I guess is that when you get the infiltration onto website posts it's relatively easy to flag it and as has happened in times gone by people get the message one way or another.  Not so with magazines though, feeding back is not as easy and it can be hard to gauge its effectiveness in the short term.

If everyone that has said that they don’t read magazines now emailed the editor, told them so and why would we still be reading five page ads for products?     

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
Reading all of the above.. I'd like to note that I'd be more than happy for manufacturers, wholesalers etc to post product information that is relevant. Example: if all motor manufacturers posted their motor specs then they'd be all here for someone to compare. I don't see that as product placement or advertorial, but rather saying this is our product, this is what it does, this is its specs are, this is what it costs; nothing wrong with that. Make your own choice from there.

Dale I've knocked back several offered advertising requests for a few reasons. A couple because I just didn't think the product swung with the site theme & one or two who I just thought were tossers. Also a few fishing guides/charters who I've told can keep their money in their pocket & just post the odd report when its relevant (not every week or month) & I'll give them an advert. Encouragingly a few do that, sadly one or two just turn their "reports" into one big advert about themselves. Whatever.....

I recon the end user should be credited with not being so gullible & can sort out the sh!t from the clay on their own; the obvious ones stand out like a dogs back wheels much to their own reputations detriment.

I'd prefer someone openly state  their interest in a product with a "sponsored by xxxxx" or " brand xxxx Pro Staff" tag that try the under the radar comment with a blatant agenda to it.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 22
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »
I'm wondering if Centrelink would sponsor me to retire early so I can spend more time doing what's really important 
Proudly sponsored by C'link  :youbeauty

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events