Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report 1st October 2013  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report 1st October 2013
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report 1st October 2013

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

OK, only days till the opening of the river fishing season on 5th October, so there will be many questions on just how well it will fish.
With another cold change coming through this Thursday, it may be a little hard to predict at the moment but my guess is that it will be highly unlikely there will be a late run of spawning rainbow trout, but that doesn’t mean that the fishing will not be OK. Let’s see how much rain we get over the next couple of days.

I will however predict that there will be the normal large numbers of anglers, walking up and down the Thredbo River, waving their wands somewhat irrationally at anything that looks like a shadow in the water.
The ones that will get the trout will be the thinking angler that takes full stealth into account and also tries to find a bit of water right away from everyone else.

The mountain streams might be worth a try if the weather is OK, a lot of the snow has already melted and from what I have seen it may well be worth while trying a different bit of water away from the crowds.

On the lake, the boat fishing has been a little slow with water temperatures sill only about 8 degrees after recent strong winds and colder conditions. Rainbows still haven’t come on yet and we have been concentrating our efforts on the brown trout and Atlantic salmon, and there are a few of those big fish still about.

With the lake still rising the browns are in close to the banks and you need to get the boat in close to get them and lead core lines are a great help to get the lures down. In fact when it comes to lures the browns have been aggressively taking bigger minnows, which is more normal for Autumn than spring, however it has been a pretty crazy winter and spring weather wise which of course also effects the fish.

Flyfishing on the lake has been a little hit and miss and the trout that we have seen in the shallows have been super spooky when it is sunny and still on the lake.
How the Thredbo River fishes on fly will depend on the water flow, if it rains and the river is running hard it will be hard fishing for all but the very experienced.

By far the best fishing over recent weeks has been the shore based bait fishing and there have been some excellent brown trout caught, mostly on worms and the rainbows are still a little quite but improving daily at the moment as they are also cruising closer to the shore of the lake.

I still have positions left for my Weekend Fly Fishing School on the 26th and 27th October.
Please pass the word around it is a great weekend of casting and fishing and special deals at the moment on accommodation and fly fishing tackle.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is almost stable at the moment with the smaller water release and snow melt inflow. The temperature today was 8 degrees C.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure early and late or on windy days.
Best lake lure –Larger Rapalas mixed colours and Tasmanian Devil in green and gold (Willys Special).
Best lake area – Hatchery Bay is still fishing well but anywhere is OK.
Best fly method lake – Yabby Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Rivers OPEN on the 5th October. Nymphs and Glowbugs.
Best River Lures – Rivers OPEN on the 5th October . Rapalas, Bullet Lures, Stumpjumpers and Dorados.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
Few hints in the start of this report but with the water level stabilizing and even rising a little over the next month we will see a change to surface trolling lures early and late in the day as the water warms a little.
If trolling, start the day with a surface line out and at least 50 metres drop back, the more the better on still sunny days. Stay close to the shore and target rocky points and other snags like the many trees in the water at the moment.
Try lead line at 2 to 3 colours. (20 to 30 metres of line out) later in the day or on still days.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellowing type Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful.
We are also getting a little positive feedback on the Dorado minnows that are new to our range.
Little bit of downrigging at 20 feet on the bright sunny days. Use longer dropbacks for best results.

Lake Bait Fishing  
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, bardi grubs and artificial baits the best.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade.
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Shallow areas try Gillies Feathertails and Tailwalkers which are new products worth a look.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week. The ‘Spotted Brew’ Strike Tiger has especially been good over the last week.

River Spinning.
Rivers OPEN on the 5th October As reported earlier, I would expect that Saturday will be a busy day on the water so the early angler will catch the fish. The fish will be close to the bottom so diving minnow lures will be best and you might also see some fish caught on metal blades. I have a feeling that the Spotted Dog Rapalas will be worth a throw. Although new and mostly untried on our waters, the new Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and I would also have a few 3.5 inch Stumpjumpers that should be just right to get down to the fish. Drift rigging with nymphs and glowbugs in the faster runs will also be effective. Don’t forget the soft plastics and the Strike Tiger range in pink and orange might just work well first up.

Fly Fishing Lake
Polaroiding as reported has been slow although you’re blind if you don’t see heaps of trout in close.
Look for the fish before casting and you can either try a small nymph and an indicator and fish very slow or if the fish is a little more active a faster stripped black  or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
Rivers OPEN on the 5th October I still have the feeling that nymphs and glowbugs will be the best way to start the weekend as I am thinking the bad weather and maybe rain over the next couple of days might stir a few rainbows into action.
I can’t really see much dry fly action on the streams yet so nymph under an indicator will be best.

For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au  Shop – (02) 64 561551