Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report For July 2012  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report For July 2012
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report .
For July 2012

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

NEWS 
Well we certainly have had the coldest winter so far with only a few nice sunny days but the fishing has been spectacular off the banks of Lake Jindabyne over recent weeks with plenty of trout being caught.
There are not that many serious trout anglers about during ski season and we mainly rely on our own fishing experiences, however the number of ‘first time trout anglers’ taking a day off from the snow, that are catching good trout at the moment is amazing!
We are very busy in winter with our hire rods, and for as little as $15 a day (plus $6 for a fishing licence) maybe a bit of bait and away you go. Cheaper than a day in the snow by far!

Nathan and I have been setting up the rods and giving a little instruction and sending anglers off to the best fishing spots and it’s great when they return with a big smile and story of their catches (or the one that got away).
Some excellent conditioned rainbows, a plenty, at the moment with a few decent browns thrown in and the odd very big Atlantic Salmon. Winter is the best time for brook trout and they have been coming in up to 5lb, fat and very healthy.
As with all fishing the secret to success is putting some time in as the fish will come on and off the bite at different times of the day depending on weather conditions. If you only go out for an hour or two you might be lucky or you might miss out, keep trying as the fish are there to be seen and you only have to walk the bank, very slowly and quietly on a clear day, with your polaroid sunglasses on, and you can often see them cruising close to the edges.
My shop is open 7 days a week in winter and if you want to find out the very latest information just drop in for a chat.
Now let’s look at what is happening in a little more detail.
If you want the most up to date information you need to call into my shop or check out daily reports on Facebook
You can also WIN prizes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Williamsons-Lake-Jindabyne-Trout-Fishing-Adventures/286736598024666
Post your photos with a trout and a Tasmanian Devil or Rapala lure and win prizes in our weekly best fish competition.

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is at 88% and has dropped a few inches since the last report. The temperature today was 5 degrees.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure on windy days.
Best lake lure –Rainbow trout pattern Rapalas and Tasmanian Devil in pinks and orange.
Best lake area – Hatchery Bay is still fishing well.
Best fly method lake – Hamills Killer, Black Woolly Bugger and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Rivers Closed to fishing.
Best River Lures – Rivers closed to fishing.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
Always start the day with a surface line out and at least 50 metres drop back. Stay close to the shore and target rocky points and other snags like the many trees in the water at the moment.
Try lead line at 2 to 3 colours. (20 to 30 metres of line out) later in the day or on still days.
Best colour Tassies have been Holographic or Brown Bomber and Rapalas are ones natural brown trout and rainbow trout or with a touch of orange on them like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern. White lures, like the Tassie Glow, are also now catching a few trout.
Little bit of downrigging at 20 feet on the bright sunny days.

Lake Bait Fishing  
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, bardi grubs and powerbait the best.
Artificial salmon eggs are still good on the lake in deeper water.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the Holographic.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Shallow areas try Gillies Feathertails and Tailwalkers which are new products worth a look.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week.

River Spinning.
Rivers closed until the October long weekend.

Fly Fishing Lake
Woolley Buggers, Craig’s Night time and Williamson’s Goldfish have been the flies well worth using and fishing can now be seen cruising most of the day when it is not too windy.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quite and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
Rivers closed until the October long weekend.

For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au  Shop – (02) 64 561551