Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 1st November 2013  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 1st November 2013
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 1st November 2013
By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551
Fishing Roundup – Trout Festival Roundup for weekend.
The Snowy Mountains Trout Festival started off on Saturday and the biggest fish (cleaned) for Jindabyne was a brown trout caught by Wayne Bastin that went 1900 grams. Sorry no other official reports yet for Sundays results. We are currently getting more reports from people that are not fishing the competition than in the competition which makes me wonder what is happeing?
Over all the fishing was OK over the weekend but how days change with Saturday being dead quite for the trollers while the shore based anglers did quite well with some nice fish caught. Sunday was totally different with the trollers doing the best with some anglers ‘bagging out’ in no time at all.

Well it was a weekend of very strange weather again with Saturday being quite warm and sunny and then Sunday it started windy which forced smaller boats off the lake but it did reach about 23 degrees by lunchtime before a very sudden cold change hit and temperatures plummeted to 10 degrees in about half an hour. Today Monday it started off very cold with temperatures below zero and now with a cold wind and a few light showers. No doubt that these colder temps will again delay the best of the river fishing.
Good luck and best fishing, Trout Festival week is renowned for mixed weather and fishing conditions so keep the line in the water and you might just manage to catch a fish!

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The temperature today was 12 degrees C.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Bait off the shore on calm days, lure early and late or on windy days.
Best lake lure –Tasmanian Devil Willys Specia or larger Rapalas.
Best lake area – East Jindabyne Islands and Kalkite west shore..
Best fly method lake – Yabby Patterns and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Cold weather has put the fishing back to nymphs.
Best River Lures – Rapalas in BT and RT and Red Celtas but fishing is tough.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
Some anglers are definitely saying that attractors are helping getting strikes. Even baits and flies behind attractors are doing very well.
Larger Rapalas were still good over the weekend and the Willies Special Tasmanian Devil and maybe the same  on the lead core lines which at the moment are a must have! I would be trolling close to the lake edges during this time. After a couple of hours of light I would be moving out to slightly deeper ware still running my lead core line at 3 colours (30 metres) and then start to use my downrigger at 25 feet lowering to 35 feet as it gets later and brighter into the day.
Best colour Tassies have been green and gold (Willy’s Special) yellowing type Tassies at the moment, maybe Y82, Holographic or Brown Bomber as well. Rapalas like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern have still been very successful. I would also try a Gillies Wobbler for something different and on the downrigger it might be worth trying out the LED flashing Balista lure. Whatever you use at the moment try teaming them up with attractors like cowbells, fenders or dodgers and if you don’t like the drag caused by some of these come in to my shop and have a look at some of the “mini” attractors we have for sale.

Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, and artificial baits the best. The success of artificial baits is starting to improve over recent days also.
The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm are better spots.

Lake Spinning
No change in the lure spinning. Same lures are still working but like the trolling most lures will work ok if you’re in the right place for an aggressive trout. Blades in gold have been doing well at the moment. Try a Strike Pro Cyber Vibe 50 or a TT Switchblade.
The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Pink, orange, Y82 and Y48 have all been good and so is the 111 Willies Special.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, (especially jointed Rapalas and give the Scatter Raps a try they have a fabulous action.), Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.

River Spinning.
No change on the river fishing conditions it has still been cold and there is not a lot of visual activity at the moment. The trout are there in the Thredbo, but most are in the very deep pools where you can’t see them. I suggest working the bottom with lures or soft plastics.
Bullet Lures I am sure will be well worth a throw on the Thredbo River and the Strike Tiger range in more natural colours might just work well first up. I would look at RT and BT Rapalas in the CD version.

Fly Fishing Lake
Early and late in the day is now the best black or olive Woolley Bugger, a Craig’s Night time or a Williamson’s Goldfish will be worth using.
The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try but you have to be very quiet and not too many casts in one spot so as not to spook the trout.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
The cold weather again just has not helped the fly fishing at all. Still not a lot of bugs about to excite the trout into action.Nymphs are still the best flies to use at the moment.

For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.